Thread: All Blacks should do some 'Island time'

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

All Blacks should do some 'Island time'

TAINE RANDELL

Last updated 05:00 27/10/2013

OPINION: The All Blacks should be heading to Suva, Apia or Nuku'alofa tomorrow rather than Tokyo.

These end-of-year tours certainly aren't what they used to be. They've almost become development tours.

But without the benefit of midweek matches, the All Blacks have had to use tests for these purposes.

That's the reality of the current environment with the All Blacks becoming so dominant.

They've also used the tours to cash in on some commercial opportunities, with matches against Australia in places like Hong Kong and Tokyo hardly raising an eyebrow.

But to be playing a virtual All Blacks B side against Japan up there raises another issue.

Given the fantastic health that the New Zealand Rugby Union enjoys at the moment on the back of the All Blacks brand, isn't it about time it took a long-term view of the broader rugby picture?

Wouldn't it be better to head down another path and play a test in the Pacific Islands rather than Asia or the United States, which appears to be their next route?

I have no doubt that would result in tons of goodwill for New Zealand as well as lifting the profile of the game in general.

And a better state of world rugby has got to have major flow-on effects for the All Blacks.

There's no doubt the Islands are dealt a pretty rough hand considering their amazing talent and enormous potential. Despite their struggles, they regularly surprise at World Cups. It feels like they are then left to languish.

I'd argue there would be more interest in New Zealand and the rugby world in general to watch the All Blacks playing a test in the Islands than there would be taking on Japan in Tokyo.

The finger is often pointed at the All Blacks for having so many Island players in their ranks. But the reality these days is that Island players have a better chance of becoming serious professionals in European countries and we are seeing their ranks swell in the test teams from countries like England, Wales and even France.

That raises another issue. There have been some whispers of Pacific Islands involvement in the Super Rugby expansion, and I'm all for that. They would certainly add some competition and prestige to the competition.

Australia's determination to get more of their teams involved has been to the detriment of rugby across the Tasman. The Melbourne Rebels and Western Force are weak teams that generate little interest to the wider audience. Really Taine?

Gates in Suva, Apia or Nuku'alofa mightn't be as lucrative but I've no doubt that TV viewership would make up for that. Rugby fans in New South Wales and Queensland would rather watch their teams playing an Island side than the Rebels or Force (are you sure Taine?) and the same could be said of New Zealand audiences, especially with our large Island population. There's also a passionate and captive audience in the Islands - rugby needs to tap into that. The powers that be need to have the courage to go and get them. Having an Island team in Super Rugby would go a long way to stopping the talent drain that is increasingly heading to Europe.

Taine Randell is a former All Blacks captain

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    What a dick head
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    f@ckwit,

He hasn't really thought that through. New Zealand still maintain their dominance on the back of a healthy contingent of islanders. If they play too many tests in Fiji, or Samoa, or Tonga, they will be blooding future All Blacks for the wrong teams.

Added to which the Australian viewing public would much rather watch Aussie blokes that a whole bunch of foreigners......and the Force regularly sell out their matches against New Zealand opposition, so how upopular is that match in reality Taine?

C'mon the

vCash
    Who is Taine Randell?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    I used to love Taine Randell - he's probably turned to blubber by now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    I used to love Taine Randell - he's probably turned to blubber by now
    He certainly speaks it

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    He certainly speaks it
    Nah. That's what they do when they, very rarely, lose. We are just resigned to losing. But only the Bledisloe. So far.

vCash
    I always thought that Randell was thuck, now he has proved it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    f@ckwit,

He hasn't really thought that through. New Zealand still maintain their dominance on the back of a healthy contingent of islanders. If they play too many tests in Fiji, or Samoa, or Tonga, they will be blooding future All Blacks for the wrong teams.

Added to which the Australian viewing public would much rather watch Aussie blokes that a whole bunch of foreigners......and the Force regularly sell out their matches against New Zealand opposition, so how unpopular is that match in reality Taine?
    My opinion of Taine Randell ( WAS a great No.8 ) has just gone out the back door with that load of crap
    He should look at how much the EWF and Perth Rugby have enjoyed hosting and touring Manu Samoa. Agree with GIGs as to the tickets sales to touring NZ teams ( even if they are Dickhead supporters they still turn up ) Chiefs and Saders always get full house Blues dont come that often and Canes and Highlanders have a small following..

Being an EX Kiwi myself many yrs ago I love the promotion of rugby and that's why we have the force.. I am not sure what our win loss record is against NZ teams but we have given all the top NZ teams a pretty good run for their money......

Also as we all know the EWF have the best supporters and the most consistent attendance over 10000 per match win or loose
    As for overseas born players the Wallabies has more than the AB s at the moment,,