AAP
October 25, 2013, 7:32 am

All Blacks winger Julian Savea has apologised to the anti-violence group who used his image in a campaign against family abuse, following a lengthy court case over an assault charge.

The 22-year-old was granted diversion in Wellington District Court on Friday on a charge of assaulting his girlfriend in April.

Last year, he fronted Te Rito Wellington Family Violence Network's campaign It's Not OK against family violence.

"I would like to apologise publicly to the people from Te Rito Wellington Family Violence Network and It's Not OK whose campaign I fronted," he said in a statement on Friday.

"I know my actions must have embarrassed them all and I am very sorry about that."

Savea completed an anti-violence course to have his charge withdrawn and says he takes full responsibility for his actions.

"I am deeply sorry for the impact this has had on my former partner and child and for the attention my behaviour brought to her family and mine," he said.

One week after the alleged assault on April 14, he made a tearful apology to media describing his behaviour as "wrong".

The 22-year-old didn't appear in court on Friday and flies out to Japan with the All Blacks side on Monday.

To qualify for diversion, an offender must accept full responsibility for the offence, which must not be classified as serious, and will usually be appearing before the court for the first time.

Savea's case was delayed on at least two occasions, with his lawyer Noel Sainsbury applying for more time to complete the anti-violence course.

The All Black said he learnt a lot from the course and counselling.

"I am taking every step to change my behaviour and I am now looking forward to the future without violence," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...s-for-assault/