Thread: Sonny Bill's future all mapped out

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Sonny Bill's future all mapped out

CHRIS BARCLAY

Last updated 06:50
    14/10/2013

Sonny Bill Williams probably didn't comprehend the irony of a recurring theme couched within the explanation for his latest career moves.

As he inevitably commanded centre stage before the Kiwis training run in Sydney yesterday, Williams used a derivative of the phase "making my intentions clear" on five instances when justifying his decision to represent New Zealand at the World Cup -- and extend his second NRL stint for another season.

Critics would argue the cross-code superstar's clarification is as belated as his backflip to represent the Kiwis, though Williams was unrepentant other than reissuing an apology to Tohu Harris -- the Melbourne Storm second rower dropped to accommodate him in the 24-man squad.

Williams, who flies out to England tomorrow, said he was relieved to finally have his medium-term future sorted -- although he is yet to officially re-sign with the Roosters or New Zealand Rugby Union.

The 28-year-old has dominated the post-NRL grand final focus as his change of heart regarding the World Cup and talks with Chiefs and NZRU officials in Sydney last week fuelled ever-present speculation about his plans for 2014 and beyond.

Williams, with his game face on, reckoned he was also tired of the conjecture.

"The past couple of days have been pretty tough but I'm happy to have got my future sorted," he said.

"I'm just as over it hearing about what I'm going to do this or that year. It's good to have my intentions clear for the next three years."

For Williams the pull of representing the Kiwis at the World Cup and then assisting the Roosters quest for back-to-back premierships proved irresistible -- the lure of defending the rugby World Cup in England in 2015 and rugby sevens debut sat the Rio de Janeiro Olympics then take precedence.

"In a perfect world, if it all fell into place that's how I'd like to do it," he said, knowing injury is likely to provide the only stumbling block.

Rumours of a three-year deal with the NZRU proved wide of the mark after he was seen in discussions with Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith but he does yearn to return to the Chiefs -- who are now in discussions with his midfield rival Ma'a Nonu.

"It was making my intentions clear that I want to go back," said Williams, of that lunchtime meeting that was misinterpreted.

"It was just clearing up a few things and just I guess being up front and honest with them, how I've always been."

Williams thought it could be a risk delaying his return to the 15-man code until World Cup year but again backed himself to perform when making the transition.

"I know the pressure's firmly on myself. That's the way I like it, it seems to bring out the best in me."

Williams certainly didn't portray the best look when turning down Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney only to make himself available after the squad had been announced.

Criticism, he shrugged, was inevitable.

"There's always going to be sour grapes in certain parts of the (mainstream and social) media. I can't control that. All I can control is how I operate as a person and how I operate as a man."

Kearney, meanwhile, was pleased the focus could finally return to the squad's preparations following a week of intrigue and recrimination.

"The thing is he's here now ... the focus is he's here and what we've got ahead."

Kearney said Williams's late arrival had not affected squad harmony and laughed when asked if New Zealand's most sought after footballer was actually bigger than the team -- or the code.

"Everyone's got to do their job," he said.

"Sonny's no different to anyone else in the side."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...all-mapped-out

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Oh well - might solve the problem of where Nonu is going to play next year.

vCash
    Much as I enjoy watching SBW play Mungo, I think he's made a mistake. He only played a bit part in the RWC final. Two more full seasons could have made him a starting player in the next edition. Not so sure he can go that far with just one.

His call though so he obviously enjoys what he's doing. Can totally understand that. ...... well I have a vague memory of it at least. .....

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    what...vague memory of deploying the coathanger?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    what...vague memory of deploying the coathanger?
    just watch Nonu's highlights on youtube...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Good work for Sonny Bill the man has the talent to perform at the level required in his chosen codes so go for gold Sonny you are an incredible athlete

Champion
    vCash
    There's a lot of pissed off people in NZ including former coaches,players and administrators who think it's a bloody disgrace the way the whole thing has been handled and I tend to agree.I don't give a stuff how good he is,the people that make these decisions have compromised the integrity of the whole setup.I don't follow league anyway so who really cares

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    My only issue is the World Cup backflip if that's what you're referring to. He's been upfront about everything else.

vCash
    Well, I don't agree with how he handled it, but I'm still happy that he came back for the Kiwi jersey. Whether people agree with him being picked or not, RL is a sport with a dedicated, loyal group of people behind it in New Zealand, and they've seen great players ditch that test jersey in favour of other things over the last decade. So if Williams can help them try to retain an RL World Cup, then at the very least, he's there when his national team need him the most. If he leaves the sport after that, well fair enough, but again, he'll be there trying to help his country retain another RWC in 2015.

Lord knows, if I had the talent to play for two of my country's national teams, I would like to be there for both of them when they needed me the most.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Good job by 7 Mate. Screening every match live. Now well be able to play Spot the Seppo in the USA team, Spot the Wog in Team Italia.... Spot te Leb..... hours of fun
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    SBW if you're over it just imagine how the rest of us feel!