Thread: New Structure

vCash

New Structure

Due to the fact I have withdrawal symptoms from the lack of local rugby already (only been 18 days), I thought Instead of moaning about the current set up, I would see how people believe a good structure for our comp would look, in order to help it move forward.

Positive posts only, no backwards looking or finger pointing, this is a blank canvas exercise.

You never know, someone important from RWA may read it and give it a go. (Stranger things have happened).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Might it also be useful to consider the ARU's new second tier comp and try to develop something that might integrate well with all levels of rugby, so that there is a good flow from club rugby to "second tier" to SuperXV+ rugby?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player
    vCash
    Has the current draft structure been released yet? Rocky had a copy at the AGM, but is it in the wild?

Champion
    vCash
    Yep. It look like RugbyWA want to have a 3rd and 4th Grade (and 5th presumably) made up all Prem Grade 3 and 4 and Champ Grade 1 and 2. Two big ladders with no possibility of everyone playing each other twice - and therein lies the next problem What happens if a strong team does get to play a weak team twice - points guaranteed while others may miss out.
    Unworkable?

Champion
    vCash
    There will be teething problems and no one can plan for every possible scenario but clubs will just have to cop it sweet and deal with it,change is good

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Yep. It look like RugbyWA want to have a 3rd and 4th Grade (and 5th presumably) made up all Prem Grade 3 and 4 and Champ Grade 1 and 2. Two big ladders with no possibility of everyone playing each other twice - and therein lies the next problem What happens if a strong team does get to play a weak team twice - points guaranteed while others may miss out.
    Unworkable?
    you could have the teams play each other once, then split upper and lower half of the table, where top teams play each other 1 more time before finals. bottom teams play each other to finish out the season.

could be interesting.

Champion
    vCash
    The proposed new structure needs majority of clubs coming on board. RugbyWA held a series of future search meetings with representatives from Premier, Championship, Judiciary and Referees to look at how to grow the game, provide a pathway for players and clubs.

The overwhelming accepted final plan will take a few years to get to and it does fulfill the above criteria.

The intent is to formally get clubs on board, tweak it where necessary and then collaboratively work on a timetable.

vCash
    In the spirit of blank canvas as RR suggested, I'm going to think out of the box a little.

I don't intend to offend any loyal clubmen, just thinking about the rhetoric I hear (quite a lot) on here.

Firstly, there is a geographical problem with the current clubs, with many clubs which are close together competing for limited numbers along with some areas under serviced. I propose that we should revamp the current club boundaries in such a way as to allow a system which focuses on higher levels of rugby being representative of a number of clubs from a lower level.

Starting from the top, you could have the team in the new super b comp drawing its players from a new premier league consisting of 8 reps sides (rather than the current club sides).

Bear with me, it will all work out.

These 8 rep sides will represent geographical regions rather than clubs and the players must come from clubs in the regions. So that would mean Joondalup players have as much chance of playing in the northern corridor side as Wanneroo players (for example) that would mean the top team from each club would, in effect, be a seconds comp, but with every club competing (maybe again with geographical divisions or a top table, bottom table distinction)

If that seconds comp was too big, maybe there could be another level of geographical division with say four rep sides (north south east and west for want of a name) playing a round robin comp for some perpetual trophy and then each region running it's own home and away comp at the second level (which would be higher in quality as fewer players are lost to the reps teams)

This would reduce (or increase) ALL clubs to the same level and basically mean that a player has few reasons to switch allegiances between clubs (at least within one region) the other advantage would be that as rugby grows, you could simply keep adding tiers as the needs of the comp demand (is second grade too big? Add another level!)

I realize it will probably never happen, since the premier clubs are proud of that heritage (rocky have been fighting to maintain their place in premier grade despite falling numbers for years) and are unlikely to give it up.....but it's a nice idea!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Some nice ideas Gigs and we do need to think outside the square but as long as clubs first and foremost agenda is what's in it for my club the comp will never move forward.Before anyone gets all righteous Wests are just as protective of their patch as anyone else.WARU need to look at other models tried elsewhere and see what would work best here.It's a hard one

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Some nice ideas Gigs and we do need to think outside the square but as long as clubs first and foremost agenda is what's in it for my club the comp will never move forward.Before anyone gets all righteous Wests are just as protective of their patch as anyone else.WARU need to look at other models tried elsewhere and see what would work best here.It's a hard one
    Thanks Westie,

I did preface it with blue sky....but whatever happens I think the existing clubs will need to relinquish a bit of their turf if the competition is to be changed in any way other than window dressing.

I certainly wouldn't point the finger at any one club for wanting to retain their position. My club history is Rockingham, so if anybody knows about a club hanging onto Premier grade for grim life it's me.....there's also a lot of club heritage to consider, Cottesloe is unlikely to lightly make the change to the key achievement in their seven-something hundred year history.

I'm just saying that there is probably some room for clubs to swallow their ego a bit for the good of rugby in this state. (I hope)

C'mon the