Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pulver's vision for new club tier

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I don't understand the need for multiple teams from Sydney and Brisbane, one "Super B" team for each franchise is fine.

Unless the new third tier competition is based on "origin criteria" or "which senior club you first played for" then all I can see is the weird distribution that occurred in the old ARC; whereby the Reds and the Waratahs were split up, but the Brumbies and the Force stayed as a unit. I know that's an oversimplification, but I thought it an odd situation when at the time the Force and the Brumbies were the two best Australian teams. Conversely in 2007, the Waratahs and Reds were the bottom of Super 14 and yet they were the ones split into 5 franchises. As I say, if there is an "origin criteria" for this system, then fine; from there, if WA, Victoria or the ACT/Southern is a little a sparse on talent, a draft and salary cap can come in and even it out.

I've got to admit though, does anyone else have the same ambivalence to new made-up competitions with all-new franchises, logos, nicknames etc...? I just wonder whether rugby needs to go about it by trying to emulate the A-League or the NBL?

I think the "B Team" vs the Pacific Island "A" or residents teams idea is a bloody interesting concept though.
    In terms of Sydney and Brisbane the plan is to use either established clubs or joint ventures while Pulver indicated he'd prefer the ACT, Vic and WA entrants to be rep based squads to ensure competitiveness. If they do mandate that SR franchises have the right to dictate where their contracted players play their post SR Rugby then it will work. The ten team format would be a more even competition when you consider a number of SR players wouldn't be returning to their Sydney/Brisbane clubs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCR View Post
    In terms of Sydney and Brisbane the plan is to use either established clubs or joint ventures while Pulver indicated he'd prefer the ACT, Vic and WA entrants to be rep based squads to ensure competitiveness. If they do mandate that SR franchises have the right to dictate where their contracted players play their post SR Rugby then it will work. The ten team format would be a more even competition when you consider a number of SR players wouldn't be returning to their Sydney/Brisbane clubs.
    Not to mention the whole bloody mess won't get off the ground without some meat for the slavering monster that is Sydney club rugby.

It'll get killed off by the numerous clubmen who are members of the ARU board, RUPA reps, Super rugby administrators and so on.

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not to mention the whole bloody mess won't get off the ground without some meat for the slavering monster that is Sydney club rugby.

It'll get killed off by the numerous clubmen who are members of the ARU board, RUPA reps, Super rugby administrators and so on.
    They'd be hypocritical to do so considering this is the model they argued for prior to the ARC. Won't stop them from doing so, but it would be hypocritical. The danger for the Sydney clubs are from the likes of Balmain RUFC. They play in the 1st Dvision of the Sub-Districts competition and were only resurrected seven or so seasons back after a 90 year hiatus. They are backed by the bloke behind the Fanatics concept and have made it clear they have the ambition to play on a bigger stage. They'll likely bid as well.

I will note that most of the clubs have now gone quiet on the proposal which means a few different things 1) they're trying to figure if they can afford to bid alone 2) they're trying to work out possible joint venture bids or hopefully not the case 3) they're looking at means to scupper it.

Personally, if this falls apart the ARU should just go with the Super B concept. Move it to a September/October schedule with the 5 current SR franchises playing under the banner of the city in which they are based. You could even run a 2nd division for the likes of Adelaide, Darwin, NSW/QLD Country and Tasmania.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    They are not an either/or thing, Super B and ARC are aimed at quite different things. If this ARC falls over, they should do it and just leave NSW out altogether...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2