Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Romain Poite

vCash
    RR personally I think that the one bad call was enough to have potentially changed the result. As Westie says its done and dusted and that's it.
    But one thing niggles and you may be able to answer. The TMO said no "foul play call what you saw" or words to that effect. When he saw B d P being sent of for a tackle without arms should he or could he have told the ref there was no foul play?
    TMO can call a stop if they think they see something.
    Agreed! nit picking and after the fact but just interested.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    RR personally I think that the one bad call was enough to have potentially changed the result. As Westie says its done and dusted and that's it.
    But one thing niggles and you may be able to answer. The TMO said no "foul play call what you saw" or words to that effect. When he saw B d P being sent of for a tackle without arms should he or could he have told the ref there was no foul play?
    I think Poite was asking for the TMO to for any foul play in regards to the push and shuff that happened afterwards. So the TMO said no foul play, just push and shuff. Then he mentioned that regarding the tackle its Poites call/decision.

I don't think he referred the tackle to the TMO, although it was shown on the screen and he should have picked up that he made a mistake.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    thats also how I saw it

vCash
    I don't disagree that it was a bad call, or that it altered the game. It was certainly a critical error. And I am not defending it. I'm just saying he'll review it, he may be dropped, but he will learn and bounce back.

Info from SAANZAR:

@SanzarTRC: The red card shown to Bismarck du Plessis was rescinded at a Judicial Hearing on Monday. Full details here: http://t.co/jIn3b60FRd #TRC2013
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    Now times that by 10 on any week in wa

vCash
    Whatever...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    Now times that by 10 on any week in wa
    are you English by any chance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Snob, TMO cannot call into the ref, they can only rule where ref asks them too. So once ref makes the decision, he has to live with it.

Romain made his call, he has to live with it, was it wrong, yes, was it game changing. Quite possibly (remember it was even numbers for last 10 mins, and 13 v 14 for last 5). Will he learn from it? Yes.

One issue is this, he is an elite official, employed to make his judgement call, he made it. World moves on. There may be more ramifications for the official, only time will tell.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Thanks for your insight RR.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    An interesting point from Twitter:

“@FielaCam Do we really expect 0 ref errors all the time? Do we expect a 0 penalty count from players?”

It's a fair point IMHO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Don't bring up that old chestnut!

The viewing public does not compute whether or not it is comparable between a bad ref call and when their favourite playerteam is penalised or simply drops the ball. Or, heaven forbid, kicks possession away straight into the waiting arms of the oppo.

vCash
    What really strikes me as odd, is that a sport like rugby with only TWO major spheres at tier-one, the Six Nations and SANZAR, can have so much trouble having a unified refereeing approach. Imagine if the iRB was FIFA; would that mean that we'd have different ruck interpretations at every continental confederation, from UEFA to AFC to CAF et al? It's actually quite damning that rugby can't get it right, with only two major competition groups at tier-one level.

I also noticed that these problems seem to permeate at the top-level. The levels below the top division at the Asian Five Nations and in Africa below the South African level don't seem to have these problems as much. I was watching the Philippines in the 2nd division of the Asian 5 Nations, and when the scrum came, it was like watching it back in the early 90's. The scrums would pack, the ref would wait until it was straight and stopped moving, then the half would put the ball in when his pack was ready. Usually he would tap the ball on the loosehead's head to signal he was rolling the ball in. The Philippines were promoted to the top division this year, and when they played the Japanese, they were looking bewildered at the referee at every scrum. The Japanese were not "packing" but were going in with "the Hit" and pushing the Pinoys off the mark every time. The Pinoys were asking the ref for a penalty against Japan for pushing before the ball was put in, but instead the ref would penalise the Philippines, for delaying the feed. The other thing they complained about was the Japanese not feeding straight. It looked like the past vs the present.

And if the iRB are going to trot out the old adage that "rugby is just too intricate" to achieve a unified global system, then they need the heads of international hockey to come in and fix the problem. Hockey has managed to do it, despite far more variables in language and geography. Even though it's one of the fiddliest and most subjectively interpreted sports in the world; hockey can now be refereed uniformly without having to worry about speaking the language. Why can't we do this?

Last edited by chibi; 20-09-13 at 17:30.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    An interesting point from Twitter:

“@FielaCam Do we really expect 0 ref errors all the time? Do we expect a 0 penalty count from players?”

It's a fair point IMHO.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Don't bring up that old chestnut!

The viewing public does not compute whether or not it is comparable between a bad ref call and when their favourite playerteam is penalised or simply drops the ball. Or, heaven forbid, kicks possession away straight into the waiting arms of the oppo.
    When a player makes a mistake he suffers the consequences personally and immediately, the opposition scores, he gets hurt, he gets hooked. When a referee makes a mistake the consequences are transferred onto another (usually the team that was the victim of a poor call) that, in itself, is reason to require a higher standard of accuracy from our refs, let alone the fact that they have far more technology to call upon.

My biggest issue with the DuPlessis carding was the amount of information and time the ref had at his disposal and obviously failed to use. Since the IRB has now come out and reversed the carding we should be asking why, when he had the right, did Poite not defer to the TMO who said there was no foul play, why did he not look at the clear video evidence and AT LEAST change his call from no arms to something else (I don't know what it could be, the tackle wasn't late, it wasn't high and Carter didn't move past the horizontal) Nope, he just wanted to make sure that the baying, rabid, kiwi bogans in the crowd were satisfied that he was protecting cottonwool carter and (of course) ensure that he wasn't savaged in the New Zealand press for making the "wrong" call

I must say, I'm fed up with the special treatment that New Zealand get...Ma'a Nonu commits at least one blatant shoulder charge a game with immunity, they flood the breakdown frm all angles with no penalty and they play the ball off their feet routinely yet they are called the best rugby team in the world. Until THESE problems are addressed and they are either stopped from cheating or others are allowed to cheat in the same way they will never be beaten.

and that's not good for world rugby!

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Just watched the replay... man that was a soft card!

vCash
    it really was a terrible call wasn't it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast