Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anglo-French clubs leave Heineken Cup

vCash

Anglo-French clubs leave Heineken Cup

English and French clubs will form a new breakaway competition from next season after talks about continuing the Heineken Cup were finally ended.

In a statement released by Premiership Rugby, the new competition will kick-off in 2014/15 and will also be open to teams from other nations.

That means the Heineken Cup as we know it will effectively be over in May next year when the final takes place at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

"The 2013/14 Aviva Premiership Rugby season kicked off this weekend with our clubs having no clear view of new European competitions from next season onwards," read the press release, with the decision leaving an uncertain future for Welsh, Irish, Italian and Scottish teams.

"The current European Rugby Cup (ERC) competitions terminate at the end of this season after notice was served by the English and French clubs in June 2012.

"Despite numerous meetings between the stakeholders over the last year, the last of which was in May, discussions have been unsuccessful and the clubs can only conclude that negotiations on any new European agreement have now ended.

"The English and French clubs have proposed the formation of two new, stronger competitions of 20 teams each, based on the principles of qualification on merit from each league, the inclusion of teams from all six existing countries and the expansion into new markets. These proposals could form the basis of future competitions.

"However, given the importance and urgency of the current position, and the reconfirmation that the French clubs will not participate in any competition unless it includes the English clubs, the clubs have now asked Premiership Rugby to take immediate action to put in place a competition for 2014/15 to include the French and English clubs but which will also be open to teams from other countries."

Read more: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...915256,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Okay, now's an opportunity for Welsh, Irish, Italian and Scottish teams to link up with SANZAAR and the rest of the rugby world into something representing a cohesive unit, something to counter-balance cashed-up French and English clubs whose TV markets can provide them with extravagant finances.

Those clubs are only whingeing because they aren't guaranteed Heineken Cup spots like the regional/provincial teams are. Besides, England and France have 6 spots each, that's double or more than double what the others have; so if they want guaranteed spots, amalgamate into 6 provinces and regions just like the other European nations have done, and quit bitching.

Where does this cashed-up club bullshit end? This isn't SOCCER. We've already got Pacific Islander players being withheld from World Cups; and foreigners playing for European TEST teams. It's time the unions grew some nuts and stood up for the traditions and culture of the rugby game.

Last edited by chibi; 12-09-13 at 00:37.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Well said, chibi....! "Bully-boy" tactics from English and French club rugby.

The Heineken cup gives clubs/provinces in Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy the chance to play at a (supposedly) higher level, and help to grow the popularity of the game in these countries. If anything, only having 6 teams from England and France should push the teams in those countries even harder to get into the competition.

I hope the unions from the other nations push hard against them...!

Champion
    vCash
    Purly selfish from the E and F club

Champion
    vCash
    Its on , called the RUGBY CHAMPIONS CUP

vCash
    I hear the Saffers would like to link up with the new comp to cash in on the money. They reckon they are the SANZAR doormat and are sick of NZ ruling the roost!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Let the Saffers go. They always overstate their worth to the competition

Champion
    vCash
    Well said Jargon that is the real crux of the problem, not the NZRFU.Alison you need to stop the All blacks success rate clouding your judgement.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Well said Jargon that is the real crux of the problem, not the NZRFU.Alison you need to stop the All blacks success rate clouding your judgement.
    It's not me judging - I was only relaying what my Saffer friends have been saying. Though I agree the NZRFU probably has more clout in the Southern Hemisphere than any of the other unions.

The ABs' success rate is undeniable, but has nothing to do with this. I'm talking about the S15 club competition, not the test scene.

Maybe you have confused this new Rugby Champions Cup with The Rugby Championship?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    No chance of aly true Wallabies fan letting that happen Westie.

The NZRFU are great AFAIK and I don't even have a problem with the coaching staff or the players. It's the refs who let them get away with outrageous cheating that is my issue. They are far and away the best team in the world and don't need the help.

IMHO it cheapens every victory they have by giving people like me the chance to say they're cheats and that's why they win. I could state supporting instances, but I think it better to agree to disagree.

And yes, SARU are a millstone around SANZAR's neck. I guarantee with Australia and NZ (with whoever else it takes) we could organise a competition structure which is nowhere near the dog's breakfast it is now!

C'mon the

vCash
    South Africa certainly sounds like they're committed to SANZAR based on reports over the last couple of months RE Super Rugby expansion... not to say they won't start agitating again if things start going against them...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I think what would drive them north is the extra money to be made - TV deals would be much more lucrative for them in a northern comp than down here.

vCash
    Can't think of many sides that would want to come down and play games in South Africa druing the warmer months of the SH

By the sounds of it England, France and South Africa would make a hilarious alliance given South Africa's grandstanding at times. What will they do? Start threatening to come back to NZ and Australia when things don't go their way?

But like you said it's just your saffer mates coming up with the story so theres probably no story anyway

vCash
    I'd hate it if they left - that accent is far too hot to be wasted up there

vCash
    Well SANZAR is already talking about splitting an expanded Super Rugby competition into separate Australia/New Zealand and South Africa/Argentina conferences from 2015. In that case, if England and France want to do their own thing, just make the Pro 12 a third Super Rugby conference

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast