Thread: 'Pies, Tigers losses hit AFL bottom line

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

'Pies, Tigers losses hit AFL bottom line

Melissa Woods,
    AAP
    Updated September 10, 2013, 11:02 am

The results of the week one finals have been a huge financial blow to the AFL, chief executive Andrew Demetriou admits.

The Magpies, with the competition's biggest membership, were ousted by Port Adelaide in an elimination final and Richmond lost to Carlton in the other.

Demetriou said the early exit of two popular Melbourne teams will impact on the AFL's bottom line.

"After the results on the weekend, and they were great results, Fremantle winning (against Geelong) and of course Port Adelaide very gallant and Collingwood out, there's a significant financial hit to the budget of the AFL because of those results," Demetriou told SEN.

"We will be significantly down on budget and when significant I mean seven figures."

Demetriou was critical of the WA Football Commission, who allowed the Australian Rugby Union to book a Wallabies Test match against Argentina this Saturday night at Fremantle's home ground Patersons Stadium.

The Dockers' upset win over Geelong at Simonds Stadium in the qualifying final last Saturday meant that they earned a week off and averted a clash of the codes in Perth.

"That severely compromised the finals," Demetriou said.

"It compromised lots of things about seven and six-day breaks.

"Everyone knows we play finals in September, so putting another code on any day in September is absurd. It doesn't make any sense."

He said that the AFL would like to take control of the fixturing and management of the stadium, but the WAFC has the contract.

"We'd love to but the problem is that they're contractually obligated as the people who lease that stadium for I think 83 years," he said.

"We've negotiated with the footy commission for a long time on this and it hasn't been a pleasant negotiation.

"I think that decision was a small-minded decision which cost football dearly."

Demetriou added he had spoken to a number of rival clubs about the struggling Melbourne club's request for a priority draft pick, saying their consistent response had been a resounding "no thanks".

A decision will be made on that by the AFL Commission on September 23.

Demetriou was asked about the response from fans to the AFL's handling and timing of the Essendon supplements saga, which resulted in that club being booted out of the final just before they began.

He said the response from surveyed fans had been positive.

"Our early brand tracking shows that in general people are very, very pleased and very grateful about the manner in which we dealt with this matter," he said.

Demetriou agreed that 2013 had been possibly the most difficult in the history of the AFL.

Apart from the Essendon scandal, Adelaide were also punished for salary cap and draft tampering and the AFL investigation Melbourne for alleged tanking.

"This particular issue (Essendon) was probably the most serious affecting the code when you consider we've never seen anything like this and it was a seven or eight-month investigation that was always hovering," he said.

"It hasn't been a great year, you can't sugar coat that.

"Thankfully we restored something on the weekend because people love the footy."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...l-bottom-line/

I can't believe they are still on about the Subi Oval booking..............

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Demetriou can go f**k himself

The AFL goes for the cash grab by holding the Geelong vs Dockers final at Geelong and yet if the WAFC attempts to go the cash grab by hosting the Rugby all of a sudden the sky is falling

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    The Afl think every sporting ground in Australia is there purely for their convenience!

vCash
    I can't believe the hypocrisy. If Demitriu had been prepared to move the Swans match to accommodate the NRL he might have some credibility. Someone there took the odds that not all 4 finals would be in Sydney and lost. They are sucking it up, not moaning and playing double header. Imagine the lost revenue there. Eat shit Demetriou.

vCash
    All i read was Whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge

was there any substance to it?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "We'd love to but the problem is that they're contractually obligated as the people who lease that stadium for I think 83 years,"

No problem Andrew - just pay for the new stadium in its entirety and you can do what you like...

vCash
    With the whingeing from the AFL re the losses because Collingwood and Richmond choked - hoping for a Port-Freo grand final just to stir the pot.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    With the whingeing from the AFL re the losses because Collingwood and Richmond choked - hoping for a Port-Freo grand final just to stir the pot.
    we should host it at bunbury oval...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Not a bad effort
    Attached Images Attached Images  

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    i got put in twitter jail for trolling the AFL fans about this today...

Senior Player
    vCash
    This bloke needs to find a new job has been a laughing stock with whole Essendon Affair the St Kilda mad monday and now this!

How many times in other business's does the top man drop the ball that many times and keep his job?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I can't believe the hypocrisy. If Demitriu had been prepared to move the Swans match to accommodate the NRL he might have some credibility. Someone there took the odds that not all 4 finals would be in Sydney and lost. They are sucking it up, not moaning and playing double header. Imagine the lost revenue there. Eat shit Demetriou.
    Yeah the NRL are losing at least 20 000 seats' worth on Saturday I imagine...