Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drug ban behind Force scrum-half

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Not a smart move by the Force.

This will tarnish the brand and will deter potential sponsors.

The media will not let it drop and the entire franchise will be dragged through the mud until he goes elsewhere.

In a competitive market, a sporting franchise cannot take this level of risk.
    Really? How much bleating do you hear/read about Dean Cadwallader? He returned late last year after 2 years off for the same thing. Since I'm likely the only one to know who he is, here's a link to a media item pre-suspension: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225888366063

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am amazed by the size and strength of these young rugby players when you look at how physically developed they are at such a young age.
    I am in no way suggesting they are taking performance enhancing drugs but they are considerably bigger than AFL counter parts & potentially League players at similar ages

Anyone with an in depth knowledge of human movement strength and condition or similar able to give me a laymans terms answer

Champion
    vCash
    PeterM: The Strength and Conditioning routines these guys go through is very scientific, but they then add a fair bit of protein into their diet too. I caught up with the guy that heads up UWA sports science dept and they way I understood him, was that with most guys building up to the physique and size nowadays is done through very carefully planned and tailored routines.

My concern is that ligaments and cartilage cannot adapt to the huge muscles that grow so fast.

vCash
    Reckon you've hit the nail on the head there Hansie re ligament damage. A friend of mine over in Qld (an ex-paramedic & a rugby nut) has been on about exactly that for ages.

Maybe David Joyce could give us a briefing!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    My concern is that ligaments and cartilage cannot adapt to the huge muscles that grow so fast.
    Sonny Bill Williams had repeated problems early in his career as a teenager.

vCash
    PeterM: The Strength and Conditioning routines these guys go through is very scientific,
    and is beginning earlier and earlier. In my day, very few boys hit the gym before year 10 and most didn't do any weights until year 12, these days I hear year 11 boys talking about their weight sessions like seasoned pros, they've obviously been hitting the weights for a couple of years.

I don't plan to make any statements about the positives or negatives of that, but if a bloke is pumping iron in the middle of puberty, the amount of hormone floating around in his system is sure to give him a significant gain in muscle mass. Added to that, the protein shake is almost becoming diet of choice with the kids I coach....seems as though big will become the new black.

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    I think this sends the wrong message to young players. Players always get told they are too small and if they want to further they need to put on x amount
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Years ago I heard a talk by John Mitchell to parents of WA Schoolboys explaining that musclemass is there to help the body in a collision sport. It can take the blow and recover quickly, personally I found the best coaching tool was to increase the speed of reflexes to get the player out of the severest collision zone.

It is just a worry building these huge bodies on a frame that cannot take it.

vCash
    PeterM: The Strength and Conditioning routines these guys go through is very scientific, but they then add a fair bit of protein into their diet too. I caught up with the guy that heads up UWA sports science dept and they way I understood him, was that with most guys building up to the physique and size nowadays is done through very carefully planned and tailored routines.

I must say I've thought this for years. I'm sure this is the reason Jonny Wilkinson went through so many injuries. Hie first year at Newcastle,I think, he was a scrawny thing but the start of the next season he was totaly ripped. 2-3 years later was very injury prone.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    And look at JOC - looks twice the size he was when he left the Force and yet he spent much of last season out injured.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Krispy Creams.

vCash
    Didn't Pocock bulk up a lot in a couple of years, from when he first started with the Force?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Krispy Creams.
    Nah I blame his hairdresser..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterblasta View Post
    I think this sends the wrong message to young players. Players always get told they are too small and if they want to further they need to put on x amount
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Not sure if you're misinterpreting what I said, I am coaching at school and the boys who are in the weights room certainly aren't pushed by us. Most of the boys are looking to bulk up for personal reasons.

There is one boy who I told needs to gain some muscle, but he's got the heart of a lion and the body of a mouse, he would be a great player if he could gain 20 kilos (without losing his speed) but he's the exception (and he acts as if he wouldn't know what to do in a weight room)

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not sure if you're misinterpreting what I said, I am coaching at school and the boys who are in the weights room certainly aren't pushed by us. Most of the boys are looking to bulk up for personal reasons.

There is one boy who I told needs to gain some muscle, but he's got the heart of a lion and the body of a mouse, he would be a great player if he could gain 20 kilos (without losing his speed) but he's the exception (and he acts as if he wouldn't know what to do in a weight room)
    Gigsy, are you Rolf Harris?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast