Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AFL Notice of Charge against Essendon Football Club

vCash
    Demetriou probably timed his exit to allow the AFL to distance themselves from any fallout from this. (Don't know how this will work as McLaughlin seemed pretty involved with their strategy too).

Essendon seem to be rolling the dice big time by taking the legal path. They are saying the AFL/ASADA joint process was unlawful, apparently with regard to ASADA's charter where it demands privacy during the investigation, among other grounds.

If Essendon succeed the AFL, ASADA, AFP and the last Federal Government will cop flak. But the AFL will point at Demetriou. If they fail, all the individuals will likely get the maximum sanctions rather the 6-12 months being freely hinted at for full cooperation. Long way to go yet I suspect.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Cronulla's turn today

Five current Cronulla Sharks players handed ASADA show cause notices

Cronulla has confirmed five players currently contracted to the Sharks have received show cause notices from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) over the club's 2011 supplements program.

The Sharks released a statement Wednesday afternoon outlining that players have been "offered a proposal regarding a possible suspension", which they will need to consider before the weekend.

"The Sharks will continue to act in the best interests of the players and are providing on-going support, both to those issued with the notices as well as others in the club, while solicitors acting for the players will continue to manage the process on their behalf," the Sharks statement read.

News Corp reported earlier on Wednesday that 17 past and present Sharks players have received show cause notices from ASADA.

The players met with lawyers this morning after ASADA chief executive Ben McDevitt reportedly signed off on 17 show cause notices last night.

The notices signal ASADA's intent to charge athletes with doping offences, with breaches of ASADA rules for doping usually carrying penalties of up to two years.

Earlier Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen said on Sydney radio if he or any player accepted a deal of a reduced ban from ASADA they would be labelled a drug cheat.

There had been speculation that the players would be offered a six month ban, most of which could be served over the off-season.

Gallen would be affected most by such a deal as he would miss out on playing for Australia in the Four Nations Cup in October.

"There are two ways to look at it," Gallen told Sky Sports Radio on Wednesday morning.

"At one stage we're (thinking) 'thank God, this is going to be over hopefully, whatever happens is going to happen and we can just get on with life'.

"Because closure on this thing would just be unbelievable (after) what we've gone through the past two seasons.

"But then you say 'let's stuff this, we've done nothing wrong'.

"It's a real hard situation to be in."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-2...?section=sport

vCash
    Essendon's case has been dismissed by Federal Court law talking guy

vCash
    Good. I'd have been really pissed off if those bastards had got off on a technicality. The legal costs will be enormous too.
    Will be interested to see how many of their list will walk out by invoking breach of contratct.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor DarthMoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Good. I'd have been really pissed off if those bastards had got off on a technicality. The legal costs will be enormous too.
    Will be interested to see how many of their list will walk out by invoking breach of contratct.
    And I'll be interested to see who will actually sign them, given there's now a big chance they are going to be suspended for a period... Although I suppose that will just be a get out clause written into their contracts if it eventuates.

vCash
    Don't know how many of you are following this but infraction notices have been issued and layers placed on the register of findings

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl...-1227121859160

vCash
    man i'm over hearing about this...

At the end of the day they ingested a banned substance. It is upto the athlete to know, regardless of the information they are given.
    guilty is guilty.

"I didn't know it was illegal to burn down that orphanage" doesn't get you off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    man i'm over hearing about this...

At the end of the day they ingested a banned substance. It is upto the athlete to know, regardless of the information they are given.
    guilty is guilty.

"I didn't know it was illegal to burn down that orphanage" doesn't get you off
    True. The biggest alarm bell should have been ringing with the staggering number and frequency of injections given to the Essendon players. I think it was up to 5 or 6 a week for many weeks. That's what the illegal Thymosin (?) dose regime entails. The legal one is 1 per week over 5-6 weeks IIRC. Circumstantial, but pretty damning.

vCash
    Apparently the injections were over several months not weeks.

ASADA would not have taken it this far if they didn't have evidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

also - what did they expect when they reported themselves to ASADA?
    I mean f**k me dead, they must have known that the shit was going to hit the fan; or did they really expect that because they went hat in hand to the authorities they thought they would get leniency?

did the wrong thing. cop it on the chin and learn for next time.

"sorry officer I did set that fire, too bad about all those kids. case closed hey?... so...i'm good to leave now?"

vCash
    James Hird and Essendon were happy for the investigation to take it's course until he found out what it had uncovered. Heading to court to bury the evidence isn't the actions of an innocent man.

Ahmed Saad from Richmond copped an 18 month ban for drinking an energy drink that is banned only on match day. Imagine what you get for a systematic doping program!

vCash
    James Hird and Essendon were happy for the investigation to take it's course until he found out what it had uncovered. Heading to court to bury the evidence isn't the actions of an innocent man.

Ahmed Saad from Richmond copped an 18 month ban for drinking an energy drink that is banned only on match day. Imagine what you get for a systematic doping program!
    No Quarter, No Mercy

vCash

That could be why it has all become so convoluted: That the evidence is circumstantial. There may be no physical evidence of illegality. But what there is seems very damning none the less.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I guess we'll find out all of the facts when everyone's had their day in court. We are all just speculating until then.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    I guess we'll find out all of the facts when everyone's had their day in court. We are all just speculating until then.
    James Hird lives at the Federal Court building these days doesn't he?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast