Thread: Wallaby Hooper signs for three more years

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallaby Hooper signs for three more years

AAP
    August 19, 2013, 9:29 am

Outstanding Wallabies openside flanker Michael Hooper has signed a new three-year deal with the Australian Rugby Union and NSW Waratahs through to the end of 2016.

Twenty one-year-old Hooper won the Wallabies' award as their best player in Saturday's Bledisloe Cup Test loss, when he competed well with All Blacks legend Richie McCaw, pulling off several important turnovers at the breakdown.

That was his 17th Test cap and he's eyeing a long career in the green and gold after agreeing to stay a year beyond the 2015 World Cup.

"To have clarity over what I'll be doing the next couple of years is great and I'm stoked to be staying in Australia and playing with the Waratahs," Hooper said.

"It is the pinnacle in our sport and the more you get to do it the better.

"You look at the guys who have played 50 and 100 games and they're legends in our sport and in this country. Everyone is trying to strive towards that."

Despite the heavy - 47-29 - loss to the All Blacks which followed the series loss to the British and Irish Lions, Hooper was enjoying the Wallabies environment under new coach Ewen McKenzie.

"There is also a really positive feeling within the group at the moment despite the result on the weekend not going our way," said Hooper in an ARU statement.

"I really enjoy the way we are playing and it's a very fun way to play the game."

McKenzie welcomed Hooper's retention which made him the 17th player to re-sign with the ARU in 2013.

"He (Hooper) makes things happen in a game and is the ideal player to keep around," said McKenzie.

"We've got a bunch of young guys who are emerging on the scene but in terms of Hoops he is playing against the best players in the world and stands out.

"He clearly showed that on the weekend and was influential in all aspects of the game.

"He is a good example of a player who is accruing experience and the sky is the limit."

Other players to re-sign with ARU this year include: James Horwill, James Slipper, Rob Simmons, Liam Gill, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Burgess, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander, Dave Dennis, Rob Horne, Sekope Kepu, Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Benn Robinson.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ee-more-years/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I guess the ARU will be making an announcement about Nick Cummins shortly then

C'mon the

vCash
    I daresay it won't be until after Sir Izzy has decided where he is going to play next season. I heard a rumour last week he's signed with the Bulldogs

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Just wish HB would sign on the dotted line to play on in Australia if that is what he wants to do.
    If he does and his management team are messing him about fire your management team & get a new one.

If you want to play rugby in Asia or the Northern Hemisphere say you want to do that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Just wish HB would sign on the dotted line to play on in Australia if that is what he wants to do.
    If he does and his management team are messing him about fire your management team & get a new one.

If you want to play rugby in Asia or the Northern Hemisphere say you want to do that
    I think HB would've signed weeks ago - it's the wretched ARU that is holding the whole thing up!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    He could be like his animal namesake and ensure they get the contract signed sealed delivered he's ours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I heard a rumour last week he's signed with the Bulldogs
    That rumor has been doing the rounds for months

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Don't hang out a shingle with "Player Agent" on your office door any time soon Pete.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Cheers Shasta I was half way through now on your advice it just says player