Thread: O'Connor buys into new Wallabies culture

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

O'Connor buys into new Wallabies culture

Adrian Warren,
    AAP
    August 12, 2013,
    11:13 am

Controversial star James O'Connor says it's easy for him to buy into the Wallabies culture set by new coach Ewen McKenzie and he's changing to ensure he's best known for what he does on the field.

The gifted utility back incurred some disciplinary blemishes and unwanted media headlines under former coach Robbie Deans, most recently being spotted at a burger bar at 4am in the week of the second Test against the British and Irish Lions.

"I don't play rugby to be talked about off the field," said O'Connor on Monday as he waits to learn if he'll be selected by McKenzie for Saturday's Bledisloe Cup opener against the All Blacks in Sydney.

"I'm playing rugby because I love it and that's what I want to be doing, playing for my country.

"At the moment I'm doing the hard yards and I'm trying to get involved and earn myself into the team."

McKenzie spoke to the players after they assembled last week about what he expects in terms of standards of behaviour.

"It's not hard to do, it's just putting the team first," said O'Connor of McKenzie's requirements.

"I can't express everything, but it's something I'm pretty excited about.

"It's something I know I can be part of."

O'Connor revealed he was already making changes to his own approach as well as embracing the new team culture.

"There's definitely things that I already have changed and am in the process of doing, personal things," O'Connor said.

O'Connor was excited about McKenzie's vision of the way he wants Australia to play.

"We spoke about the game plan and it's got a lot of boys excited, especially being a back," O'Connor said.

"Just the scope. There's a lot of landscape in the game plan to express yourself."

He was as philosophical about McKenzie's decision to move him from five-eighth - where he played against the Lions - and consider him as an outside back.

"I've spent most of my time in Test football out wider, so I guess looking at the Lions Test series, we weren't successful there, so it wasn't too big a shock," O'Connor said.

Currently out of contract after the Melbourne Rebels declined to offer a new deal, O'Connor said he was just only focusing on the Bledisloe Cup matches over the next two weekends.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...abies-culture/

I think reading between the lines, that entire article could be summed up by Rabbit saying "I need to pull my head and prove myself over the next two weeks or the ARU won't top up my contract and I may have to head overseas and play league"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Nice summary TIF, I think that can only be good news for the Force, since I would be happy for him to pull his head in and come here.

C'mon the

vCash
    Meanwhile the ARU sit on their hands with him AND Badger after the Waratahs' muppets are all stitched up even if they aren't in the squad.

vCash
    "I don't play rugby to be talked about off the field," said O'Connor on Monday as he waits to learn if he'll be selected by McKenzie for Saturday's Bledisloe Cup opener against the All Blacks in Sydney.

"I'm playing rugby because I love it and that's what I want to be doing, playing for my country.

"At the moment I'm doing the hard yards and I'm trying to get involved and earn myself into the team."

He's saying what HE thinks they want to hear...

vCash
    If his response was manufactured he mustve hired a new pr team as I felt there was very little "JOC brand" in it. Lets all move forward guys and give him the benefit of the doubt, I was one of his harshest critics but still willing for him to have a go if he wants to make the west his home again.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Now he's in the "buying in to culture" mood he can cash in some more ego & buy in to the Western Force culture too.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    He's saying what HE thinks they want to hear...
    Come on Jo, at least he's saying the right things.

We don't want to give the eastern staters any ammunition to suggest that we are a bunch of sour grape merchants.

I have been on the record a couple of times saying that we need to give players an opportunity to realise they have been a dick and turn over a new leaf. It would seem this is an opportunity for a cautious optimism.

If he HAS sorted himself out, not only would it be unfair to rip on him but to do do so might cause any good work that has been done to be destroyed when he gives up because 'nobody noticed the change anyway'.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Come on Jo, at least he's saying the right things.

We don't want to give the eastern staters any ammunition to suggest that we are a bunch of sour grape merchants.

I have been on the record a couple of times saying that we need to give players an opportunity to realise they have been a dick and turn over a new leaf. It would seem this is an opportunity for a cautious optimism.

If he HAS sorted himself out, not only would it be unfair to rip on him but to do do so might cause any good work that has been done to be destroyed when he gives up because 'nobody noticed the change anyway'.
    I can't help being a little sceptical I have to admit... what stands out in my mind is when the players after a home game came round to see the fans.. JOC was conspicuous by his absence. He was usually the first into the changing rooms.. same with the Captain's runs I had the privilege to be invited to , he rarely if ever came over to the supporters to have his photo taken or chat...

But Hey! honestly I hope I am proved wrong I really do... I want what is best for our team .. no one wants that more than me..