Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor could be a Force for good

vCash
    I agree Gaffa - he did look and sound contrite.

Maybe he's had the reality check he really needed; and with new coaches, teammates and surroundings is ready to take a more 'humble' approach to his life.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Sounds like a step in the right direction... Hope it's not lip service.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Mogg at fullback
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    First time i havent thought he was a big nob when talking to the media.

TRC 2013: O'Connor and McKenzie prepare for first Bledisloe Test - YouTube
    Certainly sounds as though the spin doctor hasn't got to him.
    I hope this is the start of something new may be called "Rabbit 2"!
    Now come back to Perth and prove what a good player you are!

May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    McCalman wants O'Connor back at Force

A James O'Connor attitude transformation could pave the way for the wayward superstar to return to the Western Force next season, breakaway Ben McCalman says.

Force and Australian back-rower McCalman said O'Connor's attitude adjustment in the Wallabies camp had convinced him the 23-year-old was ready to rejoin the franchise.

Fairfax Media understands O'Connor is still weighing up his future and contemplating offers from France, Japan and the NRL.

O'Connor has been linked to a cross-code switch to the Canterbury Bulldogs as a replacement for departing fullback Ben Barba, but his manager, David Shand, declined to comment on NRL speculation.

''James is just focused on playing for the Wallabies. Negotiations are ongoing,'' he said.

His preference is to remain in Australia but lucrative offers overseas could entice him to move abroad.

O'Connor was cut from the Melbourne Rebels in July and his off-field behaviour put him on the outer with senior Wallabies.

McCalman said last month that the Force would not compromise team culture to sign O'Connor as a marquee recruit.

But McCalman has been excited by O'Connor's change.

''It's been nice to come into the squad and hang out with James,'' McCalman said. ''I'm not sure what his plans are for next year but I'd like to see him over here. He's enjoying training a lot more and adding value off the field.''

''He's gone away and changed a few things … He probably came out of the Lions series a bit rattled so his attitude wasn't great.''

It is likely O'Connor's management will wait until the Rugby Championship bye next week to resume negotiations with the ARU and the Force.

O'Connor wants to focus on rugby and avoid his future becoming a distraction for the team.

The Wallabies' game against Argentina in Perth on Saturday is the perfect chance for the Force to try to finalise negotiations with O'Connor and Test winger Nick Cummins.

O'Connor's time at the Force ended bitterly when he left at the end of 2011 to sign a lucrative deal with the Rebels.

But the back-rower has been plagued by off-field dramas and was unwanted by Australian clubs when the Rebels opted not to re-sign him this year.

He missed the Wallabies bus to training in the British and Irish Lions series, and did not show up to a post-series meeting with then coach Robbie Deans.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union...#ixzz2eOhjcVea

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 10-09-13 at 00:51.

vCash
    Back rower?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    what a croc of shit,saying he is a backrower sums the article up

oops beaten to the punch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    what a croc of shit,saying he is a backrower sums the article up

oops beaten to the punch
    Date
    September 10, 2013

Got the story before it was written/published (even allowing for WST)

vCash
    Old news rehashed.

Agree with you BDG - a crock of shit that's been given a quick and timely stir by David Shand whose aim is to get JOC's price back up again.

Don't pay it RugbyWA!!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Chris Dutton you are a idiot in this one
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Almost same article in the west today minus the back row stuff...

Wallabies back-rower Ben McCalman would welcome back James O'Connor and his new attitude at the Western Force next season.

O'Connor, who is expected to sign with the club that launched his Super Rugby career, is seeking a new home after being dumped by the Melbourne Rebels.

When his axing became public, McCalman said the Force would only take him back if he did not compromise the club's culture.

McCalman, who is preparing for Saturday night's Wallabies Test against Argentina at Patersons Stadium, now believes O'Connor has changed his ways and he would be happy to see him back in WA.

"He's obviously gone away and changed a few things," McCalman said.

"It's been nice to come into the (Wallabies) squad and hang out with James. I feel he's been great.

"I'm not sure what his plans are but hopefully you'll see him over here a bit more next year.

"Personally I'd love to see him over here.

"The performances he can put on the field are certainly something that will help the Force out next year."

O'Connor left the Force under a cloud in 2011 when the club ended contract talks amid claims and counter claims about his demands.

But the club's current chief executive Mark Sinderberry and coach Michael Foley are expected to have further talks with him this week.

McCalman said there had been a noticeable difference in O'Connor's approach since the British Lions series.

"At the time he probably was playing in a position (fly-half) where he came out a bit rattled or didn't think he had his best performance and he was a bit down on everything so his attitude wasn't great," he said.

"Now he's back in the back three where I feel he plays his best rugby. He's certainly enjoying his training a lot more and he is adding value off-field as well."

McCalman, who came off the bench for 19 minutes in the 38-12 loss to South Africa on Saturday night, will be hoping for a starting role against Argentina.

The Wallabies need to be more aggressive, particular at the breakdown, if they are to secure their first win of the Rugby Championship.

"When we did (move wide), we didn't take the ball forward first," McCalman said. "We went away from putting forwards to the ball and actually winning the ball before we went wide.

"It's everyone's role to win the breakdown whether you're carrying the ball or you're the supporting player.

"It's everyone's responsibility to win the breakdown.

"It's about playing together, not sending one-out runners, letting them try and do their best.

"It's about securing the ball."

"I'm not sure what his plans are but hopefully you'll see him over here a bit more next year.""Western Force back-rower *Ben McCalman *

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...back-at-force/

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Champion
    vCash
    Spoke to James yesterday at training. He didn't say so outright but I'm 95% sure he will be back at the Force next season. He had a look on his face when I asked him that makes me feel that he will be back!

vCash
    i said to him when he walked past me yesterday "whens the announcemnt James?'' he looked at me with a big grin shrugged and said "just chilling for now see what happens''

righto

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    ps yesterday was a waste of time unless you were a little kid. Dont tell people to come down at 4 to watch the wallabies train to get there at 4 and by 4:15 half the players are on the team bus and Cummins and Joc are still down signing to them be on the bus and gone by 4:35...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    ps yesterday was a waste of time unless you were a little kid. Dont tell people to come down at 4 to watch the wallabies train to get there at 4 and by 4:15 half the players are on the team bus and Cummins and Joc are still down signing to them be on the bus and gone by 4:35...
    Really, that is pretty piss poor

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast