Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lions line up their star players for relegation showdown with Kings

vCash

Lions line up their star players for relegation showdown with Kings

THE Lions’ "big guns" — including star flyhalf Elton Jantjies — are all ready to roar against the Southern Kings in their Super Rugby relegation showdown at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Friday.

Lions coach Johan Ackermann on Tuesday named Jantjies in his starting line-up for the must-win, first-leg showdown in Port Elizabeth.

Ackermann opted to include all three of the players who recently returned from their loan stints at other Super Rugby franchises.

The return of Jantjies, Franco van der Merwe and Martin Bezuidenhout has given the Lions a shot in the arm ahead of their biggest game of the season.

When he heard the Lions line-up on Tuesday, Kings director of rugby Alan Solomons said: "There is no question that the Lions have got some really good players. But I don’t think they are better than we are. I think this will be a tight affair that will turn on little things."

Reade more: http://www.bdlive.co.za/sport/rugby/...own-with-kings

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I didn't know this is how they were going to decide who is in next year Super Rugby.

Will aggregate score decide if it's one all after the two matches? What if aggregate scores are level?

I don't like it, but I don't have a better solution either

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I'm sure SARU has instructed the referees to ensure the Kings stay in Super Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Theoretically with the conference system they could just have 6 teams and we'd miss out on playing 2 of them each year, although the current TV rights don't allow for it.

vCash
    Will aggregate score decide if it's one all after the two matches? What if aggregate scores are level?
    I would imagine aggregate would decide if the series is tied with extra time in the second game if the aggregates are level

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    relegation - yuk

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I didn't know this is how they were going to decide who is in next year Super Rugby.

I didn't think it was going to be this way either. I thought the kings just replaced the lions.

IMO if they are going to use relegation & promotion, the super teams shouldn't partake in currie cup (even though the timetables are different I know) and the weakest super team play the winner of the currie cup for the lisence.

Or, you know the SARU grows a pair and tells the kings last year that there is no possible way they are going to get into super rugby until at least the next TV deal comes around,
    But hey... It's the SARU...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    You'd think the lions would have to have an outright win to gain super status back a series draw wouldnt cut it
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    anyone seen if these games will be shown on Foxtel? I had a look this am and couldnt find anything.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    First leg (Port Elizabeth)
    Kings 19 - Lions 26

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    You'd think the lions would have to have an outright win to gain super status back a series draw wouldnt cut it
    Posted via Mobile Device
    They are using the same points system as in the S15, i.e 4pt for a win and BP for 4 tries and losing less than 7. After both games team with most points go through. If same amount of points then I assume they will look at aggregate.

After last night if Lions win they through. For Kings to go through they need to win by more than 7.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'm sure SARU has instructed the referees to ensure the Kings stay in Super Rugby
    What shite!

Fair play to SA for giving lower regions a chance to play in super rugby by playing off against the last place SA team. This will only help make SA rugby stronger.

As for play off between currie cup winners & last place SA super rugby, Currie Cup is club rugby, Other is provincial. That would be like Force playing Soaks last year for the right to play super rugby.

Never going to happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    What shite!

Fair play to SA for giving lower regions a chance to play in super rugby by playing off against the last place SA team. This will only help make SA rugby stronger.

As for play off between currie cup winners & last place SA super rugby, Currie Cup is club rugby, Other is provincial. That would be like Force playing Soaks last year for the right to play super rugby.

Never going to happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I agree.

At the end of the day the SARU stuck their foot in it when they promised the kings a spot this year before they broached the idea w the other SANZAR nations.
    I think it's ridiculous what's going on over there. But it's ZA rugby and they're a bit crazy like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

Never going to happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    shows how much Currie Cup youve watched. Currie Cup is more provincial than super15. Boland is not a club, Griquas is not a club, western province is clearly not a club. If you want to compare it, compare it with the ITM cup.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    What shite!

Never going to happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It was never gonna be between last placed S15 and CC winner. Western Province won the CC last year, which is basically the Stormers. It was always gonna be Lions vs last placed S15 team.

As for the reason for this happening there's only one word, Politics!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast