Thread: Marshall NZ ties see Blues as frontrunners

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Marshall NZ ties see Blues as frontrunners

Melissa Woods,
    AAP
    July 23, 2013, 2:43 pm

Benji Marshall's allegiance to New Zealand means the Auckland-based Blues are firming as his likely rugby union destination.

Kiwi Marshall's declaration that he won't consider playing for Australia means no Australian Super Rugby club can afford him.

The Melbourne Rebels were meeting with the NRL star's manager Martin Tauber late on Tuesday but they would need the Australian Rugby Union to contribute to his salary to be any chance of meeting his salary demands.

The 28-year-old reportedly asked the Tigers for a release from a $750,000 a year deal which the Rebels have said is way out of their league.

Tauber said Marshall, the former New Zealand rugby league Test skipper, only wants to play for his birth country.

"If he stays here and is seeking a top-up from the ARU he would need to make himself available for the Wallabies," Tauber said.

"Benji's made it quite clear that he would never do anything but wear the Silver Fern."

According to Tauber, Marshall hasn't given up on playing rugby for New Zealand, either with the All Blacks or in the sevens team which will be among the gold medal favourites at the Rio Olympics.

To do so, he must be playing in New Zealand to be eligible for selection.

Marshall and Tauber met with Blues coach John Kirwan and chief executive Andy Dalton in Sydney on the weekend although they were yet to receive an official offer from any Super Rugby club.

The ARU is understood to be keen to see Marshall play for the Rebels, who are without a high profile drawcard following the departures of fellow playmakers in Wallabies Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor.

Tauber said he hadn't spoken to the ARU about the possibility of Marshall receiving a promotional fee outside the salary cap.

"It's up to them to come back to us and say if he comes to the game and plays in Melbourne or wherever we will support him because of what he brings to the game by way of revenue with bums on seats, merchandising and kids wanting to play rugby because of him," Tauber said.

"There's no question that if he went to Melbourne, what he would do for the profile of the game because he's such a marquee player, would be advantageous not only for Melbourne rugby but for Australian rugby."

Tauber said there was no urgency to sign a deal with Marshall concentrating on the remainder of the NRL season.

He said playing rugby union in Japan and France were still options.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-frontrunners/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Seriously; someone needs to tell this dick that he is a shadow of what he used to be. That's why he can't get his asking price. The scuttlebutt coming from ES media types was that he or his agent were angling for an ARU top-up whilst still being AB eligible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    I don't think I would be overly impressed if I was a Blues fan I would want someone younger who potentially would be with the team longer term

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    [youtube]UDiQdsiKvCw[/youtube]

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Benji Marshall signs with Auckland Blues

Josh Massoud
    The Daily Telegraph
    August 05, 2013 12:29PM

BENJI Marshall will play Super Rugby with the Blues next year after signing with the Auckland-based franchise.

Marshall will make the switch to rugby union in 2014 after last month announcing he was ending his decade-long relationship with the NRL's Wests Tigers.

Marshall met with Blues officials, including coach John Kirwan, during a visit to Auckland last Friday.

Marshall said at the time the prospect of becoming an All Black was a strong motivation for him to switch codes.

``It's looking promising, if it all works out according to plan then hopefully I do end up playing here,'' Marshall said on Friday before returning to Sydney.

``I've got to take into account all my options but the opportunity to maybe one day play for the All Blacks is a pretty big motivator for me.

``Obviously I'm pretty nervous about that, but at the same time excited at the prospect of having the opportunity.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ru...-1226691321977

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

Marshall yet to sign on the dotted line

Benji Marshall's code-crossing switch to the Blues looks imminent, but contrary to Australian reports it hasn't happened just yet......

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-the-Blues-yet

vCash
    Yawwwwwnnnn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Ha ha haaaaa!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Ha ha haaaaa!!!
    yeahhhhhhhhhhhh nahhhhh...

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    yeahhhhhhhhhhhh nahhhhh...
    Oh tell me you're not LOVING it!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?