Thread: Benji Marshall to walk out on Wests Tigers for rugby

vCash

Benji Marshall to walk out on Wests Tigers for rugby

BENJI Marshall is expected to switch codes at the end of the season after informing the Wests Tigers he would seek a release from the final two years of his contract.

Marshall, who returned from a mid-season holiday to Bali at the weekend, told the Tigers of his decision through his manager Martin Tauber this evening.

He will finish the season with the club before weighing up his options in the rival code. The NSW Waratahs loom as a realistic option, although it is understood Marshall has no firm plans in place.

His decision came as a shock to Tigers officials, although it was known Marshall had issues with the club over promises he felt were broken in regard to his contractual situation.

Tigers chief operating officer Grant Mayer praised Marshall's contribution to the Tigers he helped the side to the 2005 premiership.

"Benji has made his decision and chanced his hand by looking for another challenge in the sporting world," Mayer said.

Digital Pass $1 for first 28 Days
    "We're obviously very disappointed and surprised. We had been given the indication that he was likely to stay. We made an extraordinarily competitive offer that would have made Benji one of our highest paid players.

"We were hopeful that he would help mentor the younger players coming through. But we respect his decision and know Benji will continue to play top-class football for the rest of the year."

Marshall had a handshake agreement in place to upgrade and extend his current deal, which expires at the end of 2015. However, when former chief executive Steve Humphreys parted ways with the club, the talks reverted to only an upgrade for the next two seasons.

The club was reluctant to commit to an extension beyond 2015 because Marshall's form this season had been below par. Marshall has said several times he would not play against the Tigers, meaning he is likely to explore his options in rugby.

He has already spoken to Auckland Blues coach John Kirwan and Tauber is expected to step up talks with Waratahs coach Mick Cheika.

"It's been a process for him in talking to his family and everybody and he reached a decision that it was time to make a change," Tauber said. "He told me tonight he loves the club, he has given 12 or 13 years, it's time for a new challenge."

Tauber reiterated Marshall would not consider playing against the Tigers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226679817039

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    I hear he's playing in the ITM Cup this season.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Let's see. 29yo mungo. Never played Rugby in those 29 years. Can't tackle. Has a good running and kicking game. For RL. He'll need to do a whole lot in the ITM cup for any Super Rugby franchise to take a risk. Sayonara Benji.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Let's see. 29yo mungo. Never played Rugby in those 29 years. Can't tackle. Has a good running and kicking game. For RL. He'll need to do a whole lot in the ITM cup for any Super Rugby franchise to take a risk. Sayonara Benji.
    He was actually a Bay of Plenty age group representative in rugby union and didn't play league until he moved to Australia as a high schooler. I agree with the rest though.

vCash
    Interesting to see the Waratahs as likely candidates. Affording big name (let's not split hairs here) players seems to have no limits for them.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    the salary cap only applies if you're not on the east coast chibi
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    rumour is he's off to the Blues

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    He was actually a Bay of Plenty age group representative in rugby union and didn't play league until he moved to Australia as a high schooler. I agree with the rest though.
    I'll accept that. Seeing as he went to Keebra Park @ 16yo, and I can't be arsed checkling any further back: He hasn't played rugby in 14 years.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    His last two seasons at the Tigers have been average. I find it surprising that the Tigers would offer him an upgraded deal if those reports are correct.

He's a bit like Cooper... but his pass isn't as good, he's slower and gets injured more.

Can't see any SR team in this country being interested in him. The Highlanders should sign him as that is where all the previously good kiwis go to die.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Kirwan interested in Benji; rules out Nonu

LIAM NAPIER

Blues coach Sir John Kirwan has spoken with Benji Marshall but remains unsure whether the rugby league star will play in Auckland next year.

Kirwan has, however, shut the door on Ma'a Nonu returning to the franchise.

Marshall officially requested an early release from the final two years of his contract with the Wests Tigers yesterday, and the NRL club has indicated it will not stand in his way.

He was due to front the media in Sydney today to discuss his future but has since cancelled.

The 28-year-old's intention to switch codes and end his 11-year rugby league career is a blow for the sport and casts doubt over his availability for the Kiwis as they attempt to defend their World Cup crown later this year.

"There are 35 or so players in our wider World Cup plans and Benji has always been one of those," Kiwis manager Tony Iro told Fairfax Media today.

"We'd love to see him available for the tournament, but we appreciate that he has some big decisions to make and he needs to do what is right for him and his family."

Kirwan began courting Marshall two weeks ago.

He initially held talks with Marshall's agent, Martin Tauber, in Sydney and has now spoken directly to the former Kiwis captain.

"I've spoken to him. He's a guy who is excited about the next stage of his professional career," Kirwan said today.

"It didn't get down to whether we were apart of his mix. I just wanted to talk to him about what he was thinking moving forward. What I got out of the conversation was he genuinely thinking about changes in his life.

"I've spoken to his manager and we're part of what he is thinking moving forward. We're in the mix I'm sure. Benji needs to make some decisions. He's obviously made one very big one and that's to move away from the Tigers.

"He'll be assessing what's on the table and I'm sure the Blues aren't the only people talking to him."

There are several factors still to play out in Marshall's choice. One option he is thought to be considering is a stint in Japanese rugby before aligning with either the NSW Waratahs - which has the advantage of Marshall staying in Sydney - or the Blues.

In Japan, Marshall could earn up to $1 million for 12 games while adjusting to a low-intensity version of the 15-man game. That scenario, however, could see him miss the Blues' pre-season.

At this stage the New Zealand Rugby Union is not part of negotiations, but the prospect of playing sevens under Gordon Tietjens at the Olympic Games in 2016 is a strong lure.

"That's not something I've considered at the moment," Kirwan said of Marshall having a stint in Japan.

"I've spoken to Martin and Benji and there are three or four other people we want to talk to over the next 10 days. How that commercial package is put together, if it gets to that, is something we'll assess at the time."

The Blues are now partly privately owned by businessman Murray Bolton and there is also the prospect of a significant third-party deal to minimise Marshall's potential loss of earnings.

"I don't know if it's a sticking point but he's going to have to take a pay cut to come to rugby so that's a big sacrifice," Kirwan said.

"He's a superstar of rugby league in a bigger population and money-pull. If New Zealand was going to be one of his options I'm sure he would have to look at it financially as well."

On the face of it Marshall is a high-risk purchase. Nobody knows how long it will take him to adapt to rugby union. His style of drifting across field and putting players into space may not translate into the rugby union first five-eighth role because there is no chance to start afresh once tackled. Defence is another question mark.

This is a tricky juggling act for Kirwan, as the Blues are also in talks with Hurricanes playmaker Beauden Barrett.

Last week Kirwan left the door ajar for Nonu, but today, he ruled out linking with the All Blacks second-five again.

"It's not secret Beauden Barrett is on the market but I'm sure I'm not the only person talking to him," Kirwan said.

"I don't think Ma'a wants to come back to the Blues. Hurricanes would be where he would want to be.

"I don't think there's a spot here in those positions. We're pretty strong. We've got a young backline that's going to be very special in Francis Saili, Charles Piutau and Frank Halai."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...rules-out-Nonu

We could do a lot worse than luring Barrett to the west IMHO, I mean how many 10's can the Kiwi's possibly need

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Waratahs want Benji Marshall

By Ian McCullough,
    AAP
    Updated July 16, 2013, 2:11 pm

The NSW Waratahs have thrown their hat in the ring for Benji Marshall as the rugby league superstar prepares to quit the NRL after this season.

"We've been chatting with his manager now for a couple of years and we are definitely interested in bringing Benji Marshall to the Waratahs," said Waratahs chief executive Jason Allen.

However, he made it clear the Waratahs' biggest immediate priorities were retaining league convert Israel Folau - sure to get an upgraded deal after a stellar first season - and signing free agent, Wallabies fullback Kurtley Beale.

Marshall's manager Martin Tauber made it clear on Tuesday that the 28-year-old playmaker was intent on a switch to rugby union after seeking a release from Wests Tigers, his home for the past 13 years.

"He just feels he needs to get his mojo back and feels he's going to have to do that in rugby," said Tauber.

It sparked renewed speculation about New Zealander Marshall's next destination, with the Waratahs and Auckland-based fellow Super Rugby club the Blues to the fore after confirming talks.

While Marshall may struggle to match the money he was offered to stay at Wests Tigers - he could possibly top up a Super Rugby deal with a stint in the lucrative Japanese club rugby competition.

Tauber dropped a tantalising hint that he could head to the Waratahs.

"He's already had a conversation with Izzy (Folau) about playing rugby - they'd be a devastating duo," Tauber said.

The prospect of Marshall linking with the likes of Folau and Beale would delight Waratahs fans but Allen did not offer great cause for confidence.

"There could be a slight opportunity but there are a lot of things that need to fall into place and come our way with Benji Marshall," said Allen.

"We've got some very big decisions pending with Israel Folau and Kurtley Beale and they are our priorities right now.

"But we can't close the door just yet."

The Melbourne Rebels were quick to dismiss any suggestion of chasing Marshall - or any link with their shock decisions to part with wayward Wallabies utility backs James O'Connor and Beale in the past fortnight.

Blues coach Sir John Kirwan hoped to lure Marshall back to New Zealand.

"I've spoken to him. He's a guy who is excited about the next stage of his professional career," Kirwan told Fairfax on Tuesday.

"It didn't get down to whether we were a part of his mix.

"What I got out of the conversation was he was genuinely thinking about changes in his life.

"I've spoken to his manager and we're part of what he is thinking moving forward. We're in the mix I'm sure.

"He'll be assessing what's on the table and I'm sure the Blues aren't the only people talking to him."

Former Wallabies coach John Connolly believed Marshall could make a successful transition but said the biggest adjustment would be getting used to the closeness of the defensive line.

"There is not as much space to operate in, in rugby and that is something he will have to get used to," Connolly said. "He will have to learn how to create that space.

"Like Quade Cooper he has a good left and right pass that can create space for his outside men.
    "There will be a transition but I am sure he will make a success of it."

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I don't see why the Tahs would need him. I thought Bernard Foley had a pretty decent season
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Are the Tahs pretty flush with "mojo"? Benji reckons he needs to get his back. Possibly because he has been playing like a busted arse for the past few years. Even the Kiwis have pushed him back in the queue. Maybe the ARU can chip in with a mojo top-up. Or some third party mojo will be in the mix. FFS!

But I suppose I can understand the Tahs wanting him seeing as he was Mungo of the Year. In 2005.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    the salary cap only applies if you're not on the east coast chibi
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah, it's a fucking joke mate!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    His last two seasons at the Tigers have been average. I find it surprising that the Tigers would offer him an upgraded deal if those reports are correct.

He's a bit like Cooper... but his pass isn't as good, he's slower and gets injured more.

Can't see any SR team in this country being interested in him. The Highlanders should sign him as that is where all the previously good kiwis go to die.
    Even if he's a bit slower and his tacking is average, from an attacking perspective, he's streets ahead of anything else we've got, especially if he plays 12. Most league converts have been pretty successful & I reckon BM will go pretty well.