Thread: Robbie Deans stands down as Wallabies coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Robbie Deans stands down as Wallabies coach

Updated 3 hours 44 minutes ago

The Australian Rugby Union has confirmed Robbie Deans is standing down as Wallabies coach following their series loss to the British and Irish Lions.

The ABC understands Ewen McKenzie will be announced as his replacement.

New Zealander Deans, who broke new ground by becoming the first non-Australian to coach the national side when appointed five years ago, was in charge for a record 74 Tests.

The ARU said his replacement, understood to be Reds director of coaching McKenzie, would be announced later in the day.

"I wish to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in Australian rugby for their support through the duration of my tenure," said Deans, who was contracted until the end of the year.

"It has been a rewarding five years and I am proud of all that we have achieved.

"Most especially I would like to thank the players for their efforts and wish them all the best going forward."

Deans has had a chequered history with the Wallabies with a 58 per cent success rate - winning 43 Tests and losing 29.

The team's failure to win against the Lions on Saturday in what was deemed its most important match since the 2003 World Cup final means he leaves without a defining moment as coach.

His high point remains the 2011 Tri Nations triumph in the weeks before the World Cup in New Zealand.

Deans's tenure laced with disappointment

Although handed a contract extension prior to the 2011 World Cup, Deans faced almost immediate calls for his head when Australia exited in the semi-finals.

After a shock loss to Scotland on home soil last year, Deans held on to his job by guiding the Wallabies to a 3-0 whitewash of Wales.

Injuries put paid to the team's hopes of winning the inaugural four-nation Rugby Championship, but Australia finished the season with a successful tour of Europe, marred only by a heavy loss to France.

But the British and Irish Lions series was universally regarded as Deans's last stand, given his failure to dislodge the All Blacks from the top of the world rankings.

Before Saturday's loss in the series-decider in Sydney, Deans's standing was undermined by disciplinary problems within the Wallabies camp, with young playmakers James O'Connor and Kurtley Beale embarrassing the team by being photographed at a fast food outlet at 4:00am days before the second Test.

The pair escaped punishment at the selection table, leaving Deans appearing soft on discipline and all-too-willing to coddle favourites.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-0...-coach/4808068

I'm guessing he had to "stand down" to get his final pay cheque

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-0...-coach/4808328

Rugby: Ewen McKenzie replaces Robbie Deans as Wallabies coach

vCash
    After all the off-field stuff that has come to light in the past couple of seasons and the poor on-field performances, I've got to say I've been completely gobsmacked by it all.
    How could a coach from Canterbury preside over this crap. The culture and systems at the Crusaders were the benchmarks for a decade.

F@cked if I know!

Time for a "no dickheads" culture, Link.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Copied from Yahoo news

"When he (McKenzie) first came in here with the Reds, that was something he was big on. Reputations for him weren't as big as the way you acted, and your actions on the field and training park."

The Wallabies were dogged by off-field discipline issues which apparently left senior players like Horwill and Genia frustrated and upset at some of their teammates.

Genia was confident the Australian Rugby Union had picked the right man in McKenzie to get that under control and get the best from the Wallabies.

"Man-managing is probably his biggest strength," he said.

What a load of crap 2 players out of the 4 worst players for off field crap happening are from the reds so Genia and Horwell need to not throw stones till they look at there own backyard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post

What a load of crap 2 players out of the 4 worst players for off field crap happening are from the reds so Genia and Horwell need to not throw stones till they look at there own backyard
    Pay that!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby