Thread: Warren Gatland defends Brian O'Driscoll decision

vCash

Warren Gatland defends Brian O'Driscoll decision

3 July 2013 Last updated at 21:00 GMT By Bryn Palmer BBC Sport in Sydney

British and Irish Lions head coach Warren Gatland says he used his "head not his heart" in deciding to drop Brian O'Driscoll. The Irish veteran's absence from Saturday's series decider against Australia has drawn strong criticism.

"When I go back to the UK and say 'Did I make the decision because I believed it was right? Or did I make it because it was the right political decision?'" said Gatland, "I can put my hand on my heart and say I think it is the right rugby decision."

O'Driscoll, 34, was expected to take over the captaincy in the absence of the injured Sam Warburton, but failed to even make the match-day 23. Fit-again Welsh centre Jamie Roberts joins compatriot Jonathan Davies in midfield, with Manu Tuilagi providing back-up on the bench.

"It is only hard because you are making the decision by using your head and not your heart," added Gatland. "Then you realise what comes of making a decision like that is all the periphery stuff, not the rugby decision, because it becomes a major story for 48 hours and a big debate. That is the process I have gone through. But I would hate to think we made calls based on trying to avoid any criticism or [gain] public popularity."

While O'Driscoll has almost certainly played his last game in a Lions shirt at the end of his fourth and final tour, Gatland was reluctant to indulge in tributes to a player who has opted to continue his career with Leinster and Ireland for another year.

"He is not finished yet!" the New Zealander said. "He has been a big part of this tour. He played in the first two Tests, and he is obviously very disappointed as any player would be. Like everything it is a learning process. It is quite hard when you have been number one in your position for 15 years and have been first choice in every team you have been part of. There are a lot of people who have experienced the disappointment of Brian always being selected ahead of them. It is just part of sport, isn't it? We have made a really tough decision, and that is part of it too. Brian has been around a long time. He understands how things work. He is a professional, he appreciated we had the conversation. We don't always speak to everyone [before announcing the team] but he was one that definitely needed the respect of being spoken to."

The furore over O'Driscoll's omission overshadowed a team selection that with the introduction of Roberts, Mike Phillips, Richard Hibbard, Alex Corbisiero, Sean O'Brien and Toby Faletau, sends out a clear signal that the Lions intend to subject Australia to a ferocious physical assault.

While the Wallabies neutered the Lions' expected set-piece strength in Melbourne and restricted their attacking game, Gatland does not believe they will be able to summon the same emotional intensity to the task in Sydney.

By way of example, the Lions coach recalled the time his Wasps side played Leicester in the last game of the regular Premiership season in 2005 at Welford Road, when Tigers legends Martin Johnson and Neil Back were playing their last game for the club.

Leicester won comfortably that day, but a fortnight later "they couldn't bring the same emotion and we put 40 points on them in the Premiership final," Gatland noted.

"It is hard to get yourself completely on edge every week. Australia had to be like that last week. You saw that with the reaction of [captain] James Horwill at the end. We think emotionally we can improve quite a bit. I would question whether they could do the same. Emotionally we will be there on Saturday, which is why we have picked a side that physically we think will dominate them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23173587

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks for the ammo Kiwi.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    There is a facebook page "Justice for BOD" with over 50,000 likes already!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    If the Lions win the dropping of BO'D will be quickly forgotten

vCash
    and if they lose, Gatland will be banned from Ireland...

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    and if they lose, Gatland will be banned from Ireland...
    If I were him, I'd steer well clear of Ireland for the next few years at least...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    If they lose, will the IRB apeal?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Big gamble as BOD's form has been pretty good while Roberts and Tuilagi are both coming back form injury. Could backfire spectacularly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Big gamble as BOD's form has been pretty good while Roberts and Tuilagi are both coming back form injury. Could backfire spectacularly.
    Who cares...??? As long as we get a win...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Who cares...??? As long as we get a win...
    Beat me to it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    By Bryn Palmer BBC Sport in Sydney
    Gatland does not believe they will be able to summon the same emotional intensity to the task in Sydney.
    Really? Might be George Smith's last ever Wallaby test; I'm sure they could get up for that!

Last edited by chibi; 04-07-13 at 13:51.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    Beat me to it
    Anything like last week I am going to need CPR!!! Mr Hertryk was ready to call 000 last week...