Soaks claim five-point win over Wests Scarborough

Contributors: Patrick Henning *

Pindan Premier Grade – Round 11
    Associates 24 defeated Wests Scarborough 19 at Bennett Park, Scarborough
    Kalamunda 29 defeated Perth Bayswater 21 at Hartfield Park, Forrestfield
    Nedlands 31 defeated Palmyra 30 at The Foreshore, Nedlands
    Cottesloe 31 defeated Wanneroo 6 at Harvey Field, Cottesloe
    UWA 36 defeated Rockingham 24 at McGillivray Oval, Mt Claremont

Associates have consolidated third spot on the Pindan Premier Grade ladder with a five-point win over Wests Scarborough at Bennett Park this afternoon, 24-19.

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...4/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Kala v Baysie

Baysie only got so close thanks to some (to put it mildly) atrocious refereeing. Kala had 2 legitimate tries disallowed because the ref called them both held up without even looking for grounding. 3 more tries were disallowed because of the 3 worst forward pass calls i've ever seen. There were a different set of Laws for each team at the break down area with Baysie allowed to do whatever they wanted and Kala pinged for everything. This caused mass frustration amongst all in attendance and ruined any chance a game of rugby had of breaking out. Baysie have kept improving and will be a good team soon.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Champion
    vCash
    Wests versus soaks good game we had a few out but hopefully get them back for this weekend,each week just reinforces my view that the comp is wide open everyone can beat everyone

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    Must of been bad ref week again total disgrace at uni really need to review DVDs and get their shit together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Wests versus soaks good game we had a few out but hopefully get them back for this weekend,each week just reinforces my view that the comp is wide open everyone can beat everyone
    I agree. Looking at the scores, every game is quite competitive.
    Baysie, Rocky and Wanneroo are no easybeats. It's been an enjoyable season. The standard of play is lifting too from week to week. A lot of young players getting a crack at Premier Grade too.

Player
    vCash
    Standard of playing improves and standard of refs does not worst refs I have ever seen in WA but will always blame everything else but themselves total disgrace week in week out

vCash
    This is terrible. The sky is falling. What to do; what to do.....

Luckily we probably have the answer right at the tips of our fingers via keyboard!

Pauses and waits for the constructive suggestions to come pouring in

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    Standard of playing improves and standard of refs does not worst refs I have ever seen in WA but will always blame everything else but themselves total disgrace week in week out
    Strangely you had no complaints last week. Oh yes I forgot Rocky won last week!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    This is terrible. The sky is falling. What to do; what to do.....

Luckily we probably have the answer right at the tips of our fingers via keyboard!

Pauses and waits for the constructive suggestions to come pouring in
    The quality of a number of refereeing calls in the in-goal area particularly have not been ideal this year. I have noticed a number of held up or spilled balls called tries and conversely clear tries called held up or called back for a forward pass that has the spectators shaking their heads.

I understand that the referees have fortnightly education meetings but attendance is not mandatory and only a small proportion of referees commit to these sessions.

I'm sure Ecky would be one of the more dedicated referees. Ecky, do you attend all of these meetings and what about your colleagues?

vCash
    You have already answered your own question. There is no need for expansion by me.

Player
    vCash
    The refs were crap last week as well same as the week before does'nt matter about who one standard of players has lifted thru all club but refs has not. Look at the game DVDs

Apprentice
    vCash
    The refs were crap last week as well same as the week before does'nt matter about who one standard of players has lifted thru all club but refs has not. Look at the game DVDs
    Have a go yourself mate or shut the f--k up and give us a break from your constant whining put my house on it you're a whinging pom
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckman View Post
    Have a go yourself mate or shut the f--k up and give us a break from your constant whining put my house on it you're a whinging pom
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Admire the sentiment ruckman, although I'm a 'non-whinging' pom so take exception to that bit.

Player
    vCash
    I refer you to your post last week.

Rocky beat kala good game to watch well reffed not good to see kala fans get off bus with own beer, thou, even worst to see rugby WA board member turn blind eye to it but what else would you expect. Rocky beat mandurah in champ comp great game played in great spirit and great after game support by mandurah think some people up town could learn a thing or too
    Obviously you have short term memory!

Rookie
    vCash
    There's obviously plenty of comment on the thread about 'atrocious' reffing, and the 'standard getting worse', and 'look at your DVDs'....so I will as a ref put my hand up and hopefully this will provide some insight to some so obviously distressed and frustrated at what we are doing.

Game at weekend, tight contest with extremely powerful forwards and dangerous backs on both sides. I was happy with most decisions and management (perception during game anyway, haven't yet reviewed DVD) in what was an extremely close and pressurised game. Had a couple of penalties for a particular offence, and then made one for the same which at the time 'looked wrong' and duly penalised.

As soon as I'd blown the whistle and awarded, I knew that I'd probably made a mistake. Sometimes we have to make split decisions, and due to the speed of the game we do sometimes have to rely on 'pictures' (for all the people ready to jump onto this as my 'justification', call it what you will, it is how it works).

Not sure if the awarded team realised they'd got a freebie (memories can be so selective in this instance), but the penalised team and me both knew it was wrong / harsh (again, I mention this because the 'beauty' of the rugby laws is I could make a case for the decision if I was that way inclined). I felt it best to acknowledge this to the penalised team's capt but had to go with the penalty having awarded it. A few phases later (including set pieces), the rewarded team scored !!!! To try and even this up would be wrong and I certainly didn't (thankfully it didn't affect the final result, although the 12+ penalties by each team probably did).

Regardless of how the spectators saw me, this was something that bothered me and it requires the need to refocus to 'continue' to provide the best that you can do. I also freely admitted the decision after the game.

None of the above is to justify wrong calls, in fact I'm saying they should be expected and we all make them, some refs will make more than others, and hopefully these are uncovered thru analysis and the ref be open to challenges of their decision (during or post game, by themselves or others). But guess what - this won't fix everything and wrong decisions are still likely in the future. This is the same as players giving the same penalty away each game, or are continually penalised thru a season for foul play - why don't they learn we could cry !

With all this in mind, reading some of the comments on here can get extremely tiring (I continue to visit TWF looking for the grain of truth) - I understand the frustration but either have a '----' or get off the pot ! If you're not happy, sign up, become a ref, come along to ref meetings and pass on your opinion. Alternatively, document and provide evidence that back up your assertion as to the performance in a particular game, and deliver it to the relative ref association (possibly thru Rugby WA). If you're in this community and you feel so strongly about it then do something. PS - whinging on here is not doing something !

(Due to the length of my vent, there's probably some grammar / spelling mistakes - I'd enjoy and learn more if anybody can reflect on the content rather than the syntax)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast