Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "the team is struggling and need him, let him play" (Stephen Milne)

vCash

"the team is struggling and need him, let him play" (Stephen Milne)

what the fuck?!

AFL muppet seem to have their attitudes on rape is somewhat twisted.

on some shight FM radio this morning, they opened the phone lines on whether the bloke charged with rape "should be allowed to play this weekend"

"ST KILDA'S board will meet in the next 24 hours then report to the AFL after club veteran Stephen Milne was charged with four counts of rape."
    play this weekend?! the question should be "should he be locked up for five years or ten"

incase you missed it all...
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-1...e-charged-rape
    Milne, 33, was investigated after the alleged rape of a 19-year-old girl in 2004.

He has consistently denied the reports and had not been previously charged.

The original investigation was reviewed after the detective leading the investigation suggested he had dropped the charges in part because of pressure from other officers.

It has been reported that a senior officer linked to the case had a part-time job with St Kilda at the time.

St Kilda has confirmed that Milne was charged and said in a statement that the club would comment on Wednesday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty

But I can imagine the sponsors of the club and the AFL would not be happy being associated with such negative news

However if he is found guilty I would expect some resignations from within the Victorian Police

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    charged with
    the question should be "should he be locked up for five years or ten"
    while I am not defending the guy, charging, conviction and sentencing are all very different and complimentary parts of our judicial process. for good reason.

perhaps determining the length of sentence would be better left until after the trial. leave the torches and pitchfork in the shed for a little while longer Boog.

vCash
    Guilty or innocent he should be playing the game untill this is all sorted out!!!

vCash
    yeah, I wasnt quoting exacts here, I know that the word charged (and other words used) were incorrect. but, but... but!

I guess its just something that boils me over.

(and yes, I know Im not the right person to talk of sentencing, it was more a satirical response to the radio call back subject line)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    Guilty or innocent he should be playing the game untill this is all sorted out!!!
    Or maybe Guilty or Innocent he should be stood down to sort this shit out before playing again.

I (as most of you know) work in education, My work would be suspended in that situation, why not his?

C'mon the

vCash
    Andrew Lovett was stood down indefinitely by St Kilda a couple of years ago after being charged with rape so there is a precedent

In fact despite being acquited, Lovett was still sacked by St Kilda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I (as most of you know) work in education, My work would be suspended in that situation, why not his?
    to take a complete stab in the dark: because he doesn't work in education?

I do get your point, but in this instance how will the charge affect his work?

Hypothetically; should everyone charged with something be stood down from their work until the matter is sorted? or do we only do this for certain charges, and not others?

slippery slope, thin edge of the wedge, and all that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

Hypothetically; should everyone charged with something be stood down from their work until the matter is sorted? or do we only do this for certain charges, and not others?

The thing is, this guy is well known and even the charges are going to look bad for the club and the sponsors. As much as some sports people hate it they are also role models for kids, so thats not going to look good! If I were charged with rape or another serious crime it wouldn't have such an effect on my employment since I'm not in the public eye.

Having said that, if you were charged you could always just go back in time and fix it all up! You still have access to the delorean right?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

I work construction/ oil & gas and I could assume I'd be stood down if i was facing rape charges

vCash

I can think of a situation where such a charge wouldn't affect an educators work other than public opinion......the first one being if he is actually innocent!

C'mon the

vCash
    But... when I finish a days work, I dont have small children running up to me asking for my signature, mimicking my actions in the back yard and considering how I lead my life to be a sample of their future aspirations.

teachers have a responsibility, as do sports stars.

vCash
    But... when I finish a days work, I dont have small children running up to me asking for my signature, mimicking my actions in the back yard and considering how I lead my life to be a sample of their future aspirations.
    Neither do I and I'm the best teacher who ever was!

teachers have a responsibility, as do sports stars.
    These days i think all adults have a responsibility to provide role models to the young, society doesn't have enough positive role models, particularly male ones.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    These days i think all adults have a responsibility to provide role models to the young, society doesn't have enough positive role models, particularly male ones.
    absolutely, I was singling out teachers there because of previous comments.

Senior Player
    vCash
    In my view the football club have done the right thing by standing the player down innocent until proven guilty. It must be very distressing to the man who stands accused of this his family and friends but not one person here has made mention of the young lady who has brought about the allegations she must be going through an awful ordeal also.

If this footballer being stood down so the right processes are followed as quickly and quietly as possible to limit the pain and suffering public and private of all those involved and effected with this case has to be a good thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast