Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dane Haylett-Petty Back ?

vCash

Dane Haylett-Petty Back ?

Former Western Force back Dane Haylett-Petty is set for a surprise return to the club in what looks to be shaping as a feisty clash against the British and Irish Lions at Patersons Stadium tomorrow.

Haylett-Petty, 23, who left the Force in 2010 after nine appearances to join Biarritz, has been pencilled into the right wing spot.

The former Hale schoolboy has left the French club and will want to impress coach Michael Foley, who will have back-line vacancies next year.

Foley, who will announce his side today, has opted for a mixture of experience and youth and a back line with some new faces

Veteran halves Brett Sheehan and Sam Norton-Knight will start but there will be very little Super Rugby experience elsewhere. Chris Tuatara-Morrison, on debut, and Ed Stubbs are likely to pair in the centres, Corey Brown from Sydney's Northern Suburbs club is expected at No.11 and Sam Christie at full-back.

Captain Matt Hodgson will be joined in the back row by Richard Brown. Angus Cottrell and Lachlan McCaffrey will each play a role.

In what sounded like a reference to the way the Force dealt effectively with Will Genia in the 11-11 draw against the Reds, Lions coach Warren Gatland warned his players to stay composed.

"Discipline is going to be a key for us. Players might need to take one for the team and it's about keeping your discipline and really keeping your head," he said.

"If you are held or pushed or something happens off the ball ... that decision not to react or to respond or retaliate can be the difference sometimes between winning and losing a big match.

"We've had a little look at the Force and the way they've been playing. We've got a game plan to go out and attack them with."

Sheehan is itching to get under the skin of the opposition and expects Test-match intensity.

"That's what they want out of it and we're prepared to give it to them," Sheehan said.

"We want it to be an extremely physical game and know that they've been in a battle.

"If things get fiery then that's good, good for us.
    "There were a few little things that got under their skin (against the Barbarians) so maybe we'll do a little bit of the same and see what happens

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yes yes that title should be "Dane Haylett-Petty"

vCash
    I'd have DHP back next year, except he might not get a starting spot, especially if Cummins doesn't leave. Would he want to come back to warm the bench?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I'd have DHP back next year, except he might not get a starting spot, especially if Cummins doesn't leave. Would he want to come back to warm the bench?
    Who would be in fron of him other than Cummins? He has come back for Family reasons so i doubt he would go anywhere else.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Morahan?

vCash
    Cummins to 13 like has been discussed in the past?

vCash
    Morahan at Full Back

9 Alby
    10 Holmes
    11 Cummins
    12 Godwin
    13 ??
    14 DHP
    15 Morahan

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I thought I recognized Dane at the training run.

wasn't entirely sure as I didn't see the backs up close, but this confirms it. he was looking fit and strong. I would be happy to see him return.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am all for brining in players from the local scene if they have the ability to perform as well as those from interstate

I would love to see the force develop a core of home grown talent and give a real path way to local perth kids who want to grow up and play for the force

vCash
    The sad thing is 3 of the best young WA players are in France with the Under 20's and dont have the chance to play for us this week.

vCash
    when i say sad i dont really mean sad its a good thing that they are in the aus u20's just bad timing

Last edited by GAFFA; 04-06-13 at 10:45.

vCash
    Great to see Haylet-Petty back! I hope its a long stay!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    DHP was originally a fullback- I don't remember him having the out and out pace to be a winger. So maybe he'd be there rather than Morahan. Hayward has look good at 15 this year but I can't remember if he signed on for one or two years.

If DHP's defence is solid, he might even be an option at 13. I remember him being bloody strong in the tackle. He has the size for it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Sounds like it would be a good problem to have - Morahan and DHP competing for a spot. When has that happened in recent memory, other than in the back row? Two decent quality backs battling it out for a spot?

So, with Holmes back it would likely be 3 WA-raised boys in the starting side -- all backs as well. That's not too shabby, and speaks to the progress of the game in WA.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    I am all for brining in players from the local scene if they have the ability to perform as well as those from interstate
    The main point here being the fact that an opportunity has to be given to local lads to prove they can match it and again that clearly is not the case.Again they go over east and pluck no names out of Shute shield over the top of our lads.Makes you wonder why a local kid with talent and there is loads of them out there actually bothers attending academy training 5 days a week to get shafted like this.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast