Thread: colts rugby

Apprentice
    vCash

colts rugby

Hi there,

please excuse my ignorance i have not been in perth for a while. What teams look good in the 18s and 20s? I've had a look around the traps and seen some good but very inconsistent match ups. It looks like there aren't that many teams participating any more/struggling for numbers?

Thoughts??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    20s has had some very lop-sided scores; there's only five teams in the hunt for the top four and its only been seven rounds.

18s is a much better competition with Paly seven from seven and Southern Lions sitting in 9th spot being only 9 points out from 4th position with 11 rounds to play so a much tighter comp.

However consistency in playing numbers week in week out is an issue as it is from 3rd grade and below.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Kala v Soaks in U/20s on sunday is the game to watch. Is also a Grand Final rematch from last year. A couple of the Kala boys who have had a taste in the Prems over the last few weeks have returned to U/20s for this one.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    I don't think it'll be 35-0 Soaks as it was in last yrs GF.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash
    Thanks for your input everybody! The Associates vs Kalamunda game in U20's was tightly contested. Associates took the game out 20 - 12 but it was a close contest for most of the fixture. I must say there were a few controversial calls, there were 3 separate incidents I saw in which a Kalamunda player lift an Associates player above the horizontal, as well as various late hits. Kalamunda were penalised but the referee did not deem these sin bin worthy. No one, no matter what side you are on, likes to see any player tip tackled, luckily there were no serious injuries to either side. The Associates five-eighth who was the victim of the first tip-tackle was in a bad way, but continued into the second half, before going down in the contact, and finally was pulled off. Overall, a bruising contest, with some good displays of running rugby and a few promising talents on either side. In particular, number 13 for Kalamunda, who I understand is 17. A standout performance, he was a constant thorn in Soaks' defence, probing the full 80. Apparently he is an Academy member. Associates I understand had players missing but they still fielded a strong side. Their fullback's game was solid, as was their 11 and 12. They aren't very big, but have lots of guts. Definitely two teams that will have a good chance of making the top four provided they don't suffer injuries. Did anyone see this game, or get to any of the others? thanks

vCash
    I think these age groups are great to watch (no salacious comments re under age boys please). I still think that the mistake was changing to U20s though. Whilst the rest of Aus and the IRB has set these as the progression, Perth, whilst it struggles with the PSA split, is not able to transition enough lads into 18s due to TEE, Uni start up and PSA commitments. At U19s, there is a stepping stone to senior rugby that all junior rugby players will have access to, regardless of their background. I remember that U19s had 18 teams one year, full of private school, public school and working kids, all beating the crap out of each other every weekend. Many have gone on to bigger and better things in Prems or more.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    private school, public school and working kids, all beating the crap out of each other every weekend.
    Sorry Dinky, you set the ball rolling with the salacious comments thing!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sorry Dinky, you set the ball rolling with the salacious comments thing!
    Nice one centurion... missed that. This is what happens when you attend a good catholic public school - "thrashing and buggery but taught me a thing or two." - quote from Four Weddings and a Funeral.. not me.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Kohanga (Kala Centre) Phillips (Roos Flank/lock) Pedersen (Lions Fullback/Wing) Berryman (Roos Hooker) Ngamanu (Roos Fullback/Wing)
    The Force need to keep an eye on these guys, they're our next Lacey, Burtons etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Dunno much about U-18 and U-20 but been watching U-10 through to U-13 Saturday mornings as Little KQ Jr (U-7s) warms up or down and have to say the games are pretty exciting and there is plenty of good skills on show. I encourage anyone with an idle Saturday morning to wander down to Britannia Reserve, the talent is out there, just a question of avenues to develop..

Rookie
    vCash
    Oscar Backhouse uwa mandurah local and paly junior is outstanding at 6/ lock

Scott Tolmie soaks prop and u20 playing very good footy and he is mobile
    Posted via Mobile Device