Thread: Unwanted James targets Euro gold

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Unwanted James targets Euro gold

Brock James' career could have slipped off the edge of a cliff when the then Western Force coach John Mitchell told him he would be the fifth choice flyhalf if he hung around in Perth for the 2007 Super campaign.

The former Australia Under-21 and Sevens international had just finished his first full season and was hoping for a breakthrough.

Instead, he got knocked back … but not down.

He weighed up his options and, against the odds, found a willing employer in a rugby-mad town in the centre of France.....

.....James has turned into one of the best Australian buys in France and on Saturday in Dublin hopes to steer the club that put their faith in his ability to their first European Cup crown.

The 31-year-old Victorian was in the hot seat three years ago when Clermont finally broke their duck in the French Championship Final at the 11th time of asking, beating Perpignan 19-6, and know he aims to help his side become the first in tournament history to win nine games in a row to take the most coveted title in Northern Hemisphere club rugby.

Trying his best to stop him from adding a 2013 European Cup winners' medal to the Bouclier de Brennus (French Championship) crown he won in 2010 and the Challenge Cup title in 2007, will be Toulon's Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom, who could feature in the match-day 23....

...Since joining Clermont seven years ago, James has transformed himself from bit-part player at the Western Force to the driving influence at one of Europe's most successful sides.

It is not just his goal-kicking that has steered Clermont into six major finals during his stint at the club.

His general game management since taking over the No.10 jersey from Jones has marked him out as one of Clermont's most consistent performers, despite the presence of David Skrela in recent seasons....

...Success finally came, both for James and, at the 10th time of asking, Clermont in the 2010 final in Paris when the Bouclier de Bennus finally found its way back to Stade Michel-Michelin.

This season's quest has all been about climbing Europe's Everest by winning the European Cup, but there is also a chance of a double if Clermont can keep on winning. They ended the Top 14 season at No.1 and will play in the semi-finals in Nantes next weekend.

"The European Cup is not an easy competition to win and to try to manage it with your home competition as well is a very hard thing to do," James said.

"I guess we struggled a bit with that for the first couple of years since we got back into it regularly," he added.

"We might have had a bit more of a focus on Top 14 and maybe we gained some experience through that. Being our first European Cup final has its own importance, but for us the European stage is still quite a big step.

"It's one of those competitions where you have to earn your stripes and learn how to go about things. I'm not the one to judge if this is the biggest game in the club's history, but over the last few years it has to be up there."....

Full story at http://www.rugby365.com/article/5389...gets-euro-gold

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Ah,john Mitchell,---which club is he a ticking timebomb coach at now?

vCash
    all the best to him!

pity he loves it over there so much! could use him in the backline to see out his career!

Champion
    vCash
    He speaks, I can't believe it !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    He speaks, I can't believe it !
    He says, talking about himself?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Watching the game now

Brock having a great game for Clermont. Wilkinson and Giteau playing 10 and 12 for Toulon, Elsom not on team. I think Mr T is playing 13 for Toulon, too.

Last edited by blueandblack; 19-05-13 at 10:01.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I think ive said it before but in my time across the ditch prior to the Force, the Kiwis were amazed Brock who at the time was playing for Taranaki(I think) was no where on the radar with the ozzie super rugby teams let alone the ARU. It should not have been a surprise about what he was capable of. He was tearing up at the NPC years ago.
    Our pack was young and still developing. It was no surprise Brock was finding himself sitting back deeper. I was pretty spewing EWF never gave him the opportunity he deserved.

vCash
    Pity Brock was over looked but someone at the EWF must have seen some potential to even get him to WA in the 1st place..... Brock and Jimmy H were great in the 2006 yr and have both gone on to do better things...... Jimmy H has had a few bad yrs but has been great... Could have been better if we had kept it .....

Gits was paid top dollar to wreck the force over the next 3 yrs and then leave... The management of the EWF made some bad decisions in the early days and wanted sucess to quick and we sytill paying for it

Congrads Brock