Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

Thread: British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

  1. #31
    Champion zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    1,264
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Gatland confirmed what I thought last night. If they get an injury in the backs I'd day that Johnny will be overnighted to aus
    I thought JW had actually turned down the Lions anyway, saying he wasn't available.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #32
    Immortal Contributor jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    10,548
    vCash
    5010000
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I thought JW had actually turned down the Lions anyway, saying he wasn't available.
    I didnt read that one. I read he thought he didn't expect to be picked, he then talked up sexton and flood as well.
    Maybe that's the case because he wanted to play in the final for Toulon? And not give gits his spot for the last game of the season. Haha

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #33
    Senior Player DinkyDi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Over Seas
    Posts
    622
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I thought JW had actually turned down the Lions anyway, saying he wasn't available.
    He has due to the upcoming cup game for Toulon clashing with the BaaBaas game in HK for the Lions. He will appear later in the tournament when Sexton gets injured.. again.

    Outside on JW, the squad picked by Gatlan IMHO is appalling. Its predictable in centers, the Fly Halves will be "dears in the headlights" at times, there are almost no hard men picked and frankly the mention of Vunipola and Steves makes me cringe. Richie Gray will be injured most of the time, Heaslip does not deserve the jersey and to cap it off the idiot picks a captain that does not like being captain and has never won in Aus.

    Another Kiwi Manager messing with a non Kiwi team - when will people learn?

    Sad to say but 2-1 to Aus..... it should never be.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    __________________________________________________

    'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

  4. #34
    Champion zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    1,264
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    He has due to the upcoming cup game for Toulon clashing with the BaaBaas game in HK for the Lions. He will appear later in the tournament when Sexton gets injured.. again.

    Outside on JW, the squad picked by Gatlan IMHO is appalling. Its predictable in centers, the Fly Halves will be "dears in the headlights" at times, there are almost no hard men picked and frankly the mention of Vunipola and Steves makes me cringe. Richie Gray will be injured most of the time, Heaslip does not deserve the jersey and to cap it off the idiot picks a captain that does not like being captain and has never won in Aus.

    Another Kiwi Manager messing with a non Kiwi team - when will people learn?

    Sad to say but 2-1 to Aus..... it should never be.
    I actually think it's a fairly strong side. A few weaknesses here and there, but overall I think they will be pretty competitive. They've got game breakers in Tuilagi, North & BOD. I actually think the Lions are slight favourites.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #35
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Leederville
    Posts
    16,134
    vCash
    3896000
    15 Welsh
    9 English
    9 Irish
    3 Scotish

    Squad of 37

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

  6. #36
    Senior Player DinkyDi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Over Seas
    Posts
    622
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I actually think it's a fairly strong side. A few weaknesses here and there, but overall I think they will be pretty competitive. They've got game breakers in Tuilagi, North & BOD. I actually think the Lions are slight favourites.
    On paper it looks ok but the problem is that they will start Roberts and Tuilagi who are both predictable crash and bash centers. North will hardly see the ball as these tow don't pass very often. BOD is a legend and IMO should have been tour captain as he is an inspiration on and off the field baring his recent stamping tanty.

    I think the biggest issue is the on field leadership. I just don't think Warburton can cut it and frankly I am not sure he should be in the starting XV.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    __________________________________________________

    'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

  7. #37
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Leederville
    Posts
    16,134
    vCash
    3896000
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post

    I think the biggest issue is the on field leadership. I just don't think Warburton can cut it and frankly I am not sure he should be in the starting XV.
    Gatland insisted in the press confrence that the reason he was picked as Captain was because he would be a certain starter

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

  8. #38
    Champion zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    1,264
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    On paper it looks ok but the problem is that they will start Roberts and Tuilagi who are both predictable crash and bash centers. North will hardly see the ball as these tow don't pass very often. BOD is a legend and IMO should have been tour captain as he is an inspiration on and off the field baring his recent stamping tanty.

    I think the biggest issue is the on field leadership. I just don't think Warburton can cut it and frankly I am not sure he should be in the starting XV.
    Yeah I agree with you re Warburton. It will be a mistake to have Roberts & Tuilagi together. I wouldn't necessarily call Tuilagi a 'crash & bash centre', he does have a tendency not to look for the pass and crash it up, but as you saw what he did against the ABs last year he can be pretty devastating in attack. I'd like to see Tuilagi partner BOD, but they are both 13s and also with BODs aging body, realistically I can't see him being there for all 3 tests.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #39
    Immortal Contributor jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    10,548
    vCash
    5010000
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Gatland insisted in the press confrence that the reason he was picked as Captain was because he would be a certain starter
    Which is interesting seeing as he couldn't get a start with Wales. Hopefully he fires up from here on out
    Am also surprised we haven't seen badger today given how big the welsh contingent is

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #40
    Immortal jargan83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Earth Capital
    Posts
    20,624
    vCash
    86000
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Which is interesting seeing as he couldn't get a start with Wales. Hopefully he fires up from here on out
    Am also surprised we haven't seen badger today given how big the welsh contingent is
    Probably won't hear from him unless they win the series

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #41
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    706
    vCash
    5002000
    I think if Dean's picks the right side we should have them covered. We have been very slow getting started the last few seasons when the internationals have come around but if we can take the form of the reds and brumbies into the first test we should be ok.

    With the exception of Tuilagi I think our backs are more dangerous but if we get smashed up front that won't count for much.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #42
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    WEMBLEY
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    5000000
    Impressive squad on paper. The difficulty will be getting them to gel as a team. Hopefully the Force can disrupt their preparations by giving them a towelling !
    Posted via Mobile Device

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #43
    Veteran beige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,515
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Impressive squad on paper. The difficulty will be getting them to gel as a team. Hopefully the Force can disrupt their preparations by giving them a towelling !
    Posted via Mobile Device
    And hopefully the Barbarians knock them around a bit before then! (I doubt it will be the same teams though...)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #44
    Veteran chibi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chinatown, Roe St
    Posts
    2,802
    vCash
    5146000
    Any news on that Barbarians line-up? Maybe some Aussie upstarts like Mogg, Foley, Godwin, Toomua? Or will it be a star-studded SA-NZ line-up?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!


    Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

    Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

  15. #45
    Senior Player DinkyDi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Over Seas
    Posts
    622
    vCash
    5000000
    http://www.barbarianfc.co.uk/news/54...r-summer-tour/


    Gloucester and England centre Mike Tindall has been invited to assist David Young in the coaching team for this summer's tour matches against England and the British and Irish Lions.
    Tour manager Derek Quinnell said: "Mike played for us for the first time last year and made a big impression both on the field, where he started against England, Ireland and Wales, but also off the field. He is now doing very well as a player/coach with Gloucester and we have asked him to fulfil a similar role with the Barbarians in May and June."
    Quinnell also confirmed that All Blacks' fly-half Nick Evans will become a new Barbarian whilst Italy's hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini will also feature on the tour.
    Last month, the Barbarians announced the first batch of names for what is shaping up to be a world-class squad. Sergio Parisse, who led the Barbarians to victory over Wales and England two years ago, returns to Baa-Baas' colours.
    Other debutants for the famous touring club include Samoan scrum-half Kahn Fotuali'i and France number 8 Imanol Harinordoquy.
    Springbok Jaque Fourie, who helped the Barbarians to beat New Zealand in 2009, is named at centre.
    Derek Quinnell said: "This year's summer tour is a very important one for our club. It is a great honour to play the Lions as well as England and we are very conscious of the need to invite the strongest possible squad to do justice to two great fixtures.
    "As the weeks go by and national squads are selected and domestic cup and league competitions reach their final stages, we are monitoring who will be available to us. We then decide on the best balance of our squad in all positions and will make further announcements in due course."

    With Parisse, Harinordoquy and Kahn Fotuali'i, its not going to be an easy match

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    __________________________________________________

    'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-13, 07:58
  2. 2013 Lions Tour of Australia
    By Burgs in forum British and Irish Lions
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-12-12, 14:55
  3. Western Force to Open British Irish Lions Tour
    By Darren in forum Front Page News
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20-01-12, 16:29
  4. THE BRITISH AND IRISH LIONS IN AUSTRALIA
    By Darren in forum British and Irish Lions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-11-11, 12:44
  5. Lions '09 dates leaked
    By Thequeerone in forum International Rugby
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-11-07, 18:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •