Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Digby Ioane quits after fallout at Reds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ioane said he spoke to McKenzie on Monday morning, before the Reds' noon press conference, and confirmed his intentions.
    "I actually spoke to 'Link' [McKenzie] front-on, and I told him that it was going to be my last year," Ioane said. "You've got to tell your coaches what is going to happen . . . You don't want the Reds to struggle again to look for another winger."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz2REM5fqUH

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sounds like blackmail to me!

Even if Ioane faces disciplinary action, indications are the Reds are set for an even bigger battle to counter his bid to get out of the third year of his contract. "At this stage we have an agreement that the only way he can play at any other (Australian) franchise than the Reds is if he declines an offer from the ARU - and I agree to it," Carmichael said. "He's going nowhere unless I release him."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226626212045

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    No smoke without fire, hey.

Going by those reports, he sounds like a very unpleasant person.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    This business about only being able to play for the Reds if he has an ARU contract stinks.
    Sounds like a contract that could be torn apart in court.IMO

vCash
    .......tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic.........
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    This business about only being able to play for the Reds if he has an ARU contract stinks.
    That's Jim Carmichael (Reds CEO) discussing a contract between the Reds and Ioane. That contract can say pretty much what they like about ARU payments, since neither party has any control of the payments (whether there was ARU recommendations in setting up such a clause is a different discussion)

However, It sounds to me more like the Reds will release him from his contract if he relinquishes his claim to a Wallabies contract (ie we will let you go if you give up your top up) smart move by Carmichael, knowing that no other club can secure third party sponsors, and Digby would have to volunteer to take the ARU pay cut....it would take him from what he's on at the Reds (probably around 500K) to the naked figure he can earn at another franchise (more like around 200K)

Basically the Reds are saying they won't release him from the contract, he'll have to Sonny Bill it!

C'mon the

vCash
    Why does it stink? The Reds have a legally binding 3 year contract with him. The ARU top up is not (as far as is known) conditional on him staying at the Reds.

If you sign a contract to sell your house and the buyer says up yours Jack, are you not going to hold him to the contract and/or forfeit his deposit?

I will be sad if Digby goes and be grateful for his service. But realistically, the Reds have a strong bank of outside backs, particularly exciting are up and comers Aiden Toua and Chris F Sautia.

Brett Harris may have got the Digby story right (first time for everything) but the rest of the story is utter crap. This is what CEO Jim Carmichael said today -

"Carmichael labelled as a "disgrace" one newspaper report yesterday suggesting skipper James Horwill was in a contract dispute.

"James is the most loyal man. He has agreed to a two-year contract with the Reds and is merely negotiating the ARU part," he said.

Horwill said the suggestion of a hiccup was "completely untrue".

vCash
    So what they are saying is if you don't play for us you can't play for the Wallabies.
    I don't think it's their prerogative, the Wallabies may be able to say you must play in an Au franchise but surely not the other way around. Or am I missing something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Piet Van Ziel View Post
    Link is as good at lying as Gillard and Wayne Swan

WTF????

Do you realise how ridiculous this post is?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    don't feed the troll .. he can't even get Pieter Van Zyl's name correct

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    his other option is to sit out the season with a long term "injury", being paid in full by both the Reds and the ARU, and having the Reds not only an international player down, but missing a $400k slice of their salary cap, and also having to elevate a EPS as a replacement for what...$100k and then bring in a replacement for a minimum of what...$50k?

The ARU will NOT be happy at this impasse, the ball is definitely not only in the Reds court.

And the ARU top up contracts are ENTIRELY independent of the franchise contracts...negotiated AFTER the fact. The Reds can get fucked when it comes to Digbys ARU contract.

What this shows though is the complete and utter fuckup that the ARU and Reds/Waratahs hegemony is. How the fuck can Force Brums Rebels compete on a level playing field with this shit going on. Effectively paying wallabies a shitload extra to STAY at those two franchises. The farce has been revelaed in all its glory.

Makes you wonder if Genia did a backflip in the piker position when it was explained to him by Carmichael and JON he would have to relinquish his ARU top up to move to Force....so much for the team song, a group hug and singin' the good ol' team song in the showers

Last edited by sittingbison; 23-04-13 at 08:16.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    So what they are saying is if you don't play for us you can't play for the Wallabies.
    I don't think it's their prerogative, the Wallabies may be able to say you must play in an Au franchise but surely not the other way around. Or am I missing something?
    You can look at it that way. Or you could look at it as the Reds saying -

"Grow up Digby. You are an adult, earning very good money due to a God given talent that most of us don't enjoy. You have signed a contract. In the real world, contracts are enforced in courts of law. Take some responsibility."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    his other option is to sit out the season with a long term "injury", being paid in full by both the Reds and the ARU, and having the Reds not only an international player down, but missing a $400k slice of their salary cap, and also having to elevate a EPS as a replacement for what...$100k and then bring in a replacement for a minimum of what...$50k?

The ARU will NOT be happy at this impasse, the ball is definitely not only in the Reds court.

On another matter, although I agree entirely with tics analysis that Harris is a moron, I wonder if he will come back on here now that Wayne Smith has also carried the story...although it could be argued that Wayne Smith and The Australian are also non-journalists
    Yep. I am prepared to concede now that the story obviously has legs. It annoys me though that Digby's situation has been sensationalised as being "Reds in contract crisis with Horwill" when Horwill has said the story is untrue.

vCash
    So is this a normal clause in Au contracts then? If so enough said.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast