Thread: Crusaders allegedly foiled by their own support

vCash

Crusaders allegedly foiled by their own support

RICHARD KNOWLER

Fairfax NZ News

Last updated 05:00 17/04/2013

The Crusaders appear to have been sawn-off by their own supporters in Perth.

It has been alleged that several, if not all, of the five men who participated in last weekend's pitch invasion may have been New Zealanders now living there.

One, whose body was painted in the red and black colours of the Crusaders' home strip, grabbed the ball. Two others were dressed in costumes - one as a banana - and another in his underpants.

Police say they cannot confirm the men's nationalities for legal reasons but several people who attended have alleged the perpetrators were Kiwis. The invaders' actions, which took place in the dying minutes of the 16-14 loss to the Western Force, could yet cost the Crusaders a chance of winning their eighth Super Rugby title.

In possession and eyeing a big overlap, the Crusaders were preparing to launch a long-range attack when play was stopped. Crusaders midfielder Ryan Crotty, who tackled the man in the banana suit, thought ''security needed a bit of a hand''.

"It was pretty frustrating. I think the first guy came on when Tom Marshall was going through a bit of a gap on counter-attack and with the pace that man has he was going good to score a try,'' Crotty said.

''For that to happen, then, was pretty bad timing for us.''

The men face bans from the venue of between one to five years. After the match the stadium's chief executive Peter Bauchop noted the men came from a section ''that was not the Force membership area''.

Earlier a streaker, aged 25, also ran across the field. He has been charged with trespass will appear in the Perth Magistrates Court on Anzac Day. Two men in costumes, both 22, have been summoned to appear next month to face charges of trespass. It is believed around 15 other people were also preparing to join the pitch invasion but got cold feet because security was increased near them.
    Ninety-two security staff were on duty for the crowd of 16,758. Crusaders boss Hamish Riach has laid complaint with Sanzar stating the invasions were ''disgraceful and unacceptable''.

Crusaders scrum coach Dave Hewett said he was tempted to let security staff catch the offenders but decided to assist.

''I need to get a lower body if I make a tackle. It has to be a offensive tackle, rather than defensive,'' an amused Hewett said in reference to his ''hit''.

''We had one (invader) come out just around halftime and it was a bit lighthearted and that was alright. But we didn't need the others coming out, particularly at that time of the game when we were chasing it.

''I must admit I should have let them run past but I let something get the better of me. At least I didn't get bumped-off.''

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    The Crusaders were beaten by a better side on the night anything else is just excuses in my book

I don't want to read any more of these articles detracting from what was a fantastic win for the boys and hopefully a real confidence booster for the rest of the season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    The Crusaders were beaten by a better side on the night anything else is just excuses in my book
    Have you read the other thread on this topic yet?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I know it was mentioned be someone else about being "moved on" by security when standing on the concourse area under new stand having a drink and a chat. How about putting these blokes to good use on the gate or on the ground. Currently they are just "fun police".

And the way to fool these guys is to stand hard up against the last row seats, they then think you are in these seats and don't come and hassle you

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    cry kiwi cry

who cares right ?

vCash
    Watching the Saders game against the Highlanders tonight, the commentators mentioned something happening off camera - surely there wasn't a Saders pitch invader... if so, must've been a Highlanders supporter in Saders colours

vCash
    Or Gunny had gone South

Champion
    vCash
    Sounded like it, didn't it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Watching the Saders game against the Highlanders tonight, the commentators mentioned something happening off camera - surely there wasn't a Saders pitch invader... if so, must've been a Highlanders supporter in Saders colours
    Confirmed - pitch was invaded

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10878770

"It was a funny old game. Even a pitch invader, topical after last week's farcical invasions at Perth, could barely muster the enthusiasm to break into a run before he was tackled by security. It seemed fitting"

vCash
    Amazing how they kept harping the pitch invasion cost the Crusaders the game

They need to get over it, there was only five odd minutes left to play, the mighty Crusaders should have been home and dry long before then.

The way we tackled for the 75 minutes prior meant even if there was a gap as wide as the parting of the Red Sea they may not have made it the full 65m they needed to run in.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    They are still on about Suzie and Wayne Barnes so how do you expect them to get over a pitch invasion conspiracy in one week?

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    They are still on about Suzie and Wayne Barnes so how do you expect them to get over a pitch invasion conspiracy in one week?

Posted via Mobile Device
    I should post that youtube video again hey!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?