Thread: Brumbies request Smith loan extension

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Brumbies request Smith loan extension

David Barbeler,
    AAPApril 17, 2013,
    11:42 am

Brumbies coach Jake White has sent a formal request to Japanese rugby union club Suntory seeking to extend the loan of star flanker George Smith.

Smith's current short-term deal is due to end after the Brumbies take on the Hurricanes on May 31 but the Canberra-based Super Rugby franchise are seeking to prolong his stay in the wake of Wallaby flanker David Pocock's season-ending knee injury and Smith's outstanding form in his place.

White sent his request to Suntory on Tuesday night and he stressed on Thursday that, while he'd been encouraged by talks with Suntory coaches last week, the decision still rested with the Japanese club's top officials.

"I've just formally given them some options of how we think time frames could work," White said.

"It's just giving them alternatives of how many weeks we would want him - best case, worst case and which one they would look at.

"And they might for argument's sake say 'listen no problem, you can have him right to the end', because their season only starts on (August 18) anyway."

At present, the June 7 clash with the Melbourne Rebels and then the July 13 match against the Western Force are the only fixtures Smith is set to miss for the Brumbies before the finals from July 19 to August 3.

Should Suntory grant an extension, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans would likely want the option of recalling him to national duty for the three-Test series against the British and Irish Lions.

But that would mean the Australian Rugby Union would need to create a precedent in picking an overseas-contracted player.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...oan-extension/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Picking an overseas-contracted player is one thing; but picking a player on his form in Super Rugby 2013 is another thing entirely. If they looked at it from a playing point-of-view instead of a contractual point-of-view, there's no problem really is there? He would be picked on his form as a Brumbies player; just as he has been picked many times before.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    That throws up another question - maybe. If Smith IS NOT eligible for the Wallabies how is he eligible for Super 15? Is he simply OK for Super Rugby because he is an Australian National?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    one rule for one....

vCash
    Yeah, I'm concerned that he might be taking the spot of a potential Wallaby. Though admittedly he wouldn't be the only one in an Aussie team doing that, so it's not such a big deal.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Yeah, I'm concerned that he might be taking the spot of a potential Wallaby. Though admittedly he wouldn't be the only one in an Aussie team doing that, so it's not such a big deal.
    If every potential Wallaby had the potential of George Smith we'd be fukn laughing!!

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...iths-loan-deal

Look like they have agreed to let him stay!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!