Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes v Force 19th April 2013

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hurricanes v Force 19th April 2013

Hurricanes rest and rotate for Force clash

Published: 12:19PM Wednesday April 17, 2013 Source: ONE Sport
    • Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett has made five changes to his starting his line-up for the Super Rugby clash against the Western Force in Wellington on Friday night.
    Jack Lam will make his first start at openside flanker, following an ACL reconstruction last year, after the Canes were thumped 28-6 by the Blues on Saturday night.

The other three changes to the pack include Dane Coles, who will return to the starting hooker position this week, Jeremy Thrush, who is back in the pack after recovering from his lower ankle sprain, and Jeffery Toomaga-Allen comes into the tighthead jersey.

The return of Thrush to the Hurricanes line-up has allowed Hammett to rest Jason Eaton after starting all seven matches this season.

TJ Perenara also gets a bit of a break with Chris Smylie given the nod to start at halfback.
    "We saw last year we can't rely on each of our players to be available for every match, so we always wanted to be able to give Chris a few more minutes in the starting position at some point," said Hammett.

With Lam's selection, young gun Ardie Savea also gets a week off, with Karl Lowe on the bench.
    "When we selected Ardie for his first game we wanted to give him a couple of weeks of game time and then a rest," Hammett said.

"He is still only 19 and we want to make sure he enjoys a full season of Super Rugby rather than wearing him down early in the year. We are lucky we have a lot of experience in our loose forwards to be able to support his development as a Super Rugby player."

On the bench, Reggie Goodes steps in as the back prop. Victor Vito (calf) and Ben May (elbow) were unavailable for selection this week due to injury.
    This game will be the visitors first on New Zealand soil this season, a week following their two point win over the Crusaders at NIB Stadium.

Hurricanes: Beauden Barrett, Alapati Leiua, Conrad Smith (c), Tim Bateman, Julian Savea, Tusi Pisi, Chris Smylie, Faifili Levave, Brad Shields, Jack Lam, Mark Reddish, Jeremy Thrush, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Dane Coles, Ben Franks.
    Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Reggie Goodes, James Broadhurst, Karl Lowe, TJ Perenara, Reynold Lee-Lo, Andre Taylor

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/hurrica...-clash-5409153

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

The return of Thrush to the Hurricanes line-up has allowed Hammett to rest Jason Eaton after starting all seven matches this season.

Ouch - I hope the return of thrush to the Hurricanes line-up puts them off their game.

vCash
    I like the fact that even though resting their stars bit the Crusaders in the arse, the Kiwis are still sticking to their habit of disrespecting us.

Hopefully the boys can develop some consistency (which has been sorely lacking in the past X+1 years) and put another good performance together.

God knows the Brumbies won't take us lightly!

C'mon the

vCash
    More rotating than resting really, which is what we did post the Rebel debacle.

vCash
    Whatever you want to call it, they have signalled that this one is already chalked up as a win on the coaches' blackboard.

They would never rest and rotate against the Crusaders, Blues, Brumbies, Sharks, Stormers or Reds would they?

I only hope that the Force coaching team has signaled this game as an opportunity for the boys. They don't want to go in overconfident, but they do want to believe that the opposition is primed to be shocked out of it!

C'mon the

vCash
    Yeah, they should get ripped into them right from the start, just as they did against the Crusaders, and catch the players coming into the Canes team a bit cold...!

Senior Player
    vCash
    lets hope the force boys take the points against the canes if rory walton plays in future matches like he did against the crusaders we will have one heck of a player of our hands

Senior Player
    vCash
    I like the sounds of this. From memory Perenara destroyed us last year so good for him to be on the bench and no Victor Vito also. Barrett is a turnstyle on defence so hopefully we can send some action his way.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    ready to go on my one man anything goes on crown land tour to wellington
    as this is an undercover operation i will shortly lower the cone of silence
    i will rear my ugly head in Canberra

vCash

Hurricanes reshuffle to sustain players' sparkle

Risky rotation or savvy selection planning? Of course the wisdom of leaving Beauden Barrett at fullback and resting key players will depend on whether the Hurricanes beat the Force at Westpac Stadium tomorrow night.

But for now, Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett is confident the five changes he's made to the side who lost 28-6 to the Blues are in the best interests of the campaign.

"I actually think it's a hardened and more experienced side," Hammett said, when asked if the selections suggested he was taking the 2-win, 6-loss Force lightly. "When you think about the individuals who are coming in, the Jeff Toomaga-Allens, Thrushy [lock Jeremy Thrush], Jack Lam and Lowey [Karl Lowe] on the bench, I think it's probably the opposite of that."

However, some will struggle with the kid gloves applied to 19-year-old openside Ardie Savea, who has been handed a mandatory rest after two matches.

"It's always been the plan and not just with him but the NZRU to make sure we look after the kid, we don't just send him out," Hammett said. "That was going to happen win, lose or draw last week."

There will be some excitement, too, at the re-emergence of Lam, a star of last year season before he was struck down by a knee injury.

Thrush and hooker Dane Coles were always going to return from ankle and hand injuries, though the latter was having scans last night after receiving a whack to his eye during training yesterday. And similarly Jeffery Toomaga-Allen takes his place at tighthead after Ben May suffered an elbow injury at Eden Park.

But it is the tinkering in the halves that furrows the brow.

Halfback TJ Perenara and Barrett were in the driver's seat during a four-match winning streak, but have now handed the controls to Chris Smylie and Tusi Pisi.

"We just think it's really important at some stage that we give Smiles a run," Hammett said of the change at No 9. "We've seen in this competition, not just with us, but all teams, that you have to be prepared to be without individuals for a certain amount of time."

Few players have trained as hard behind the scenes as Smylie, who missed last season with a shoulder injury and has looked sharp off the bench.

But considering defence is not their forte - only the Highlanders, Kings and Rebels have conceded more tries - there will be fears the Hurricanes' attacking momentum and Barrett's confidence are being compromised.

Hammett said Barrett's shift was not permanent and he did not believe the change would damage the side's ability to score points.

"One of the strengths of this squad is we have a lot of depth and we want to keep players fresh and mentally excited."

The Force were set to name their side today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...layers-sparkle

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    ready to go on my one man anything goes on crown land tour to wellington
    as this is an undercover operation i will shortly lower the cone of silence
    i will rear my ugly head in Canberra
    As long as you don't go lowering your kit and invading the pitch bro

See ya in Canberra

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think Gunny should have a sign for the 'Canes match.

"I'm from Perth, here for Pitch Invasion training"

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    invasion training
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by sittingbison; 18-04-13 at 11:49.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    security:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I only hope the Force are carrying the feeling from last week over to this fixture. If they need motivation, I hope they cop a glance at the way the NZ press and NZ public opinion is slandering the Force and their fans after the crowd disturbances. It's enough to get the steam piping out of the ears! One wonders if they will hear about that or if the players are kept away from such things?

On side note, I'm also surprised Perenara isn't playing. Even if you're resting players, I still thought he would play, he was so effective last time out. Though I suppose, last time we were a different team and a different coach.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast