Thread: Deans likes O'Connor at 5-8 or wing

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Deans likes O'Connor at 5-8 or wing

April 15, 2013,
    2:32 pm

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has spoken to James O'Connor about playing five-eighth and wing in the upcoming series against the British and Irish Lions, the utility backline star revealed on Monday.

O'Connor is vying with a number of other players for the contentious five-eighth position for the three-Test series in June.

Incumbent and teammate Kurtley Beale isn't playing at present after being stood down by Melbourne Rebels following an altercation in South Africa, but could be back in contention by June.

Quade Cooper wasn't named for this week's two-day logistics camp in Sydney, but shone in Queensland's win over defending Super Rugby champions, the Chiefs, last weekend.

Another contender, the NSW Waratahs' Berrick Barnes, is currently injured, but was named for this week's camp.

The only one of his 37 Tests O'Connor started at five-eighth was his last, against Wales at the tailend of 2011.

"My conversations with Robbie is he likes me in that 10 position and also on the wing," O'Connor told AAP.

"I feel very comfortable in both those positions.

"It's going to be a matter of who is the right person is for the role.

"I've got to work my way into the team first, that's not a given at all.

"I've been out (of international rugby) for a year, and there's other guys that are playing some great footy as well, so there's a lot to be done and a lot of form to be hit first.

"My form is building slowly, so hopefully come the Lions tour, I'll be finding some good form and playing some good rugby."

While some people including Wallabies legends Tim Horan and Stirling Mortlock feel O'Connor isn't cut out to play five-eighth against the Lions, the man himself emphasised he was no stranger to a playmaking role.

"I've played 10 in that main ball-playing role since I started playing rugby, back to my rugby league days when I was playing halfback," O'Connor said.

O'Connor was also pleased by the progress made by Beale, who has been living with his family in Sydney and having counselling since being stood down.

"I've been speaking to Kurtley a fair bit. He's in a good head space," O'Connor said.

"He's training very hard. From all accounts, he's looking pretty fit."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...t-5-8-or-wing/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    For a moment when I read the header I though Deans had put O'Conner on a Macca's diet and moved him to the forward pack.. ~laughs~

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    I'd still opt for a fit Cooper over JOC at 10 - just. Some of JOC's passing recently has been sublime, but I think Cooper's reading of the game is a little better. Personally I'd love to see JOC at 12. He's not a big lad, but he is very powerful for his size and Giteau did a great job when he played 12 for the Wallabies. It really adds an extra dimension to a back line, having a play-maker at 12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Personally I'd love to see JOC at 12.
    Personally I think the #12 should be Lealiifano, no better 12 at the moment and JoC at 10, but then again Deans doesn't pick the best players in all positions.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Personally I think the #12 should be Lealiifano, no better 12 at the moment and JoC at 10, but then again Deans doesn't pick the best players in all positions.
    Yeah I haven't seen too many of his games this year, but read he's been playing well. JOC could really play anywhere in the backline, bar half back. If you can play 10 & wing, you can play 12, 13 & 15. He needs to be in a playmaker role, even if it's the last 20 mins of a game. He's wasted on the wing. But I'd still like to see Cooper in the side.