Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New-look Force set to tackle Crusaders

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

New-look Force set to tackle Crusaders

Nick Taylor,
    The West Australian
    April 12, 2013, 7:29 am

Western Force coach Michael Foley is poised to use a new-look starting back line for tomorrow's Super Rugby clash with the Crusaders at nib Stadium.

Wallabies winger Nick Cummins, who has been struggling with a knee injury and has made only two appearances this season, is back in the picture, but another speedster, Junior Rasolea, is pushing for the spot.

Both Jayden Hayward and Chris Tuatara-Morrison are under consideration for the outside centre role and Sam Norton-Knight will start at full-back.

The loss of the injured Hugh McMeniman (shoulder) will see Sam Wykes partner Toby Lynn in the second row, with Rory Walton to make his debut from the bench.

Foley will be hoping Wykes can find the form that made him one of Australia's brightest second-rowers before his season ended early last year with a run of injuries.

Foley will name his squad today.

Meanwhile, Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder has rested arguably his best two forwards in recent matches - second-rower Sam Whitelock and flanker Matt Todd.

They make way for the inexperienced Dominic Bird and Shane Christie. Loose forward Christie will make his first Super Rugby appearance, while Bird makes his second start after featuring in four games off the reserves bench.

The return of All Blacks hooker Corey Flynn, who will play his 250th first-class game after missing the Sharks with an eye injury, strengthens Blackadder's front row. He replaces Ben Funnell.

No.8 Luke Whitelock starts ahead of the injured Kieran Read.

Full-back Israel Dagg starts for the first time in four games. He came off the bench in the loss to the Sharks, ending three weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring strain.

�Former All Blacks No.8 Mose Tuiali'i wants to build on the momentum of his first game in New Zealand since 2008 when the Highlanders seek to break their Super Rugby duck against the Brumbies in Dunedin today.

Tuiali'i, 32, was a standout for the winless Highlanders in last weekend's loss to the Blues in Auckland, having answered a SOS call from coach Jamie Joseph to reinforce the injury-hit franchise.

It had been two months since Tuiali'i had played at his Japanese club Yamaha and almost five years since the nine-Test All Black had turned out for the last of his 65 games for the Crusaders.
    Crusaders *: Israel Dagg, Adam Whitelock, Robbie Fruean, Ryan Crotty, Tom Marshall, Tyler Bleyendaal, Andy Ellis, Luke Whitelock, Shane Christie, George Whitelock (capt), Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. * Reserves *: Ben Funnell, Joe Moody, Tom Donnelly, Jordan Taufua, Willi Heinz, Telusa Veainu, Zac Guildford.

THE HONEYBADGER IS BACK - I TOLD YOU ALI

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    something like this maybe

1 Pek
    2 Teesaman
    3 Faulkner
    4 Lynn
    5 Wykes
    6 Cottrell
    7 Hodgson
    8 Brown

9 Mathewson
    10 Sias
    11 Mafi
    12 Godwin
    13 CTM
    14 Cummins
    15 SNK

16 Whits
    17 Longbottom/Maafu
    18 Walton
    19 McCalman
    20 Snowdon
    21 Haywood
    21 Junior

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    About bloody time! I like that 15 Gaffa but I would definitely have Alcock on the bench. I can't wait for this game.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    About bloody time! I like that 15 Gaffa but I would definitely have Alcock on the bench. I can't wait for this game.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    oh i forgot about him hmm i would prob drop walton then to hvae alcock with mccalman covering lock.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Senior Player
    vCash
    really hope they go ahead with some new players in the backline, we need change.
    Stanley and Tupou have had their chances. Maybe Dellit on the bench as he is pretty versatile.

Alcock should be starting.

vCash
    Walton and not Battye? Walton's in the EPS; does this mean battye is injured, or has that rule ben suspended this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Walton and not Battye? Walton's in the EPS; does this mean battye is injured, or has that rule ben suspended this year?
    rule has been changed.

vCash
    Rule change Sheikh.

vCash
    Ideal time for Western Force to face Crusaders but hosts need improvement

By Nathan Sharpe From: FOX SPORTS April 12, 2013 12:31PM

It's the ideal time for Western Force to face the Crusaders at nib Stadium but the hosts will need a massive improvement on last week if they're to trouble the seven-time champions, Nathan Sharpe writes.

The Force certainly missed a golden opportunity to get a win on the board at home last week but again it was their finishing that let them down. They seem to be able to get themselves in the position to strike but then lack the killer blow to get the job done.

You can see the amount of pressure they put on opposition teams and they spend more than enough time in the opposition’s 22, but they just can’t get the ball over the line at crucial times.
    I think a lot of it has got to do with confidence and the lack of experience in taking the right options at the right times. There’s always the avenue to score points but it’s just a matter of having the vision to see where that is, and a lot of that has got to do with the people in the critical positions – the playmaking roles.

Hopefully they’ll get some consistency in those positions and that experience in making the key on-field decisions will start to come.

When I was playing with the Force we managed to have some success against the Crusaders, recording two draws and a win. We always treated the Crusaders as the Super Rugby benchmark, and perhaps they thought we were an easy proposition.

But that doesn’t mean a lot this week because, as I’ve previously said, the Force need to start fronting up each week – a couple of good results against the bigger teams isn’t going to cut it.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz2QE60drVs

vCash
    Norton-Knight came on last week and threw lazy passes, which lacked concentration or application. Didn't think he would start him this week.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Norton-Knight came on last week and threw lazy passes, which lacked concentration or application. Didn't think he would start him this week.
    Yes. Message to Norton-Knight - this is not Japan...

vCash
    I can't even remember noticing SNK in the game last week. Also don't remember seeing CTM play as yet (must be getting alzheimers-can't remember) Has he been going well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I can't even remember noticing SNK in the game last week. Also don't remember seeing CTM play as yet (must be getting alzheimers-can't remember) Has he been going well?
    CTM hasnt played since the Trials against tonga where i though we went great but he will be turing out for wests this week so we wont be seeing him this weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    CTM hasnt played since the Trials against tonga where i though we went great but he will be turing out for wests this week so we wont be seeing him this weeks.
    Ah for crying out loud, I wonder why we have him at the then? Let him go make money overseas if this is still where he's gonna play even after last week's performance. What will it take?!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Hope Force guys are watching the Brumbies/Highlanders game at the moment - it's called a backline move I believe? heavy sarcasm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast