Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force prepare to launch another raid on Reds

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I know they are both good defenders. Alcock is a great ball runner. But defending @ 13 is a speciallist job. I only see 4 possibilities ATM. Stanley, Tupou, Heyward, Dellit. In that order. We have a lot of home games to come and I'm not writing the season off yet. I think the combinations will click as soon as Saturday. Bonus point win. Unfortunately I won't see it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

nor will I--have to go to a bloody wedding!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I think I'll decree a new family law. All future grandchildren must be born in the off-season.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    "have to" ???

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

Western Force bids to lure James Hanson away from Queensland Reds

Jim Tucker The Courier-Mail April 04, 2013 12:00am

THE sticking power of players in the post-Ewen McKenzie era is facing a huge test with Western Force making a bold bid to snatch in-form Reds hooker James Hanson.

Coaching boss McKenzie last month handed the contracting role to 2014 coach Richard Graham when he went public with his decision to leave the Reds at the end of the season.

While Graham happily collaborates with McKenzie on squad-shaping plans for 2014, ultimately it will be Graham's 30-man group, with his tweaks, entering 2014.

Hanson's excellent performances as a starter against the Bulls and Highlanders in recent weeks suggest his best call is to stay at Ballymore but contracting is never that clear cut.

When two Wallabies, Hanson and Saia Faingaa, share the No.2 jersey at the Reds, it always leaves one open to the lure of a more regular starting job elsewhere.

Hanson's manager David Shand yesterday refused to divulge if Hanson's 2012 suitors from the Force and Melbourne Rebels had both reactivated their interest in the off-contract dynamo.

One-Test Wallaby Hanson knocked back bigger offers from both last year to stay on at the Reds this year.

"I can confirm James has received offers from other clubs and we're talking," Shand said. "Discussions with the Reds are very productive and James has said from the start this is going to be a football decision."

That may be true but re-signing any Reds player puts the squeeze on somewhere in the salary cap puzzle.

The Reds only have 14 Wallabies from 2012 plus 2011 Rugby World Cup skipper James Horwill on the books because a handful of players signed for less money to stay at Australia's most successful club.

Hanson may or may not be one of them but there will be a tipping point for some players like there was when flanker Scott Higginbotham was hooked by the Rebels on a big-money deal.

Hanson, 24, is wisely leaving all the contract talk to Shand but did confirm his manager's advice "focus on the footy" has been perfect.

"There's no point taking on unnecessary stress because it can only affect the way I play and the team," Hanson said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226612016993

vCash
    "Coaching boss McKenzie last month handed the contracting role to 2014 coach Richard Graham..."

Jumping ship anyone?

vCash
    As the Reds have probably lost the 'best club in Australia' tag to the Brumbies this season, it will be interesting to see if any players now choose to move rather than stay, especially with RG in sole charge rather than EK.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    P.S. if Hanson does come, I may see less of 'my' Nathan Charles. Not sure I can cope with that!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    P.S. if Hanson does come, I may see less of 'my' Nathan Charles. Not sure I can cope with that!
    Nah! You'll be right Alison...

vCash
    its all BS from the player manager spruiking up his wage. Love the "two wallabies" reference when Saia Faingaa has played about 30 tests and Hanson might have played ONE test.

Anyway this article also raises a vexing issue that we have discussed with TOCC several times previously, namely Wallabies players (on ARU top ups) signing for less money to stay at certain teams - in this case the Reds. What total BS. ANY professional player will go to the big pay packet, NONE of them will take hundreds of thousands of dollars pay cuts just to play with their mats, sign the team song and wear the beloved jersey. Its the ARU top ups that keeps them at the Reds/Warratahs under the salary cap. As for the top up being negotiated AFTER the franchise contract, its a smokescreen designed to keep the inmates like us happy in the thought its all above board.

Lets face it, the Force has to pay all 30 players their complete wage from the salary cap, the Reds with 14 wallabies and the Tahs with 14 wallabies only have to pay 16 players their complete wage, and to make it worse its the most expensive players that are on cut price deals!! What an absolute joke.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    its all BS from the player manager spruiking up his wage. Love the "two wallabies" reference when Saia Faingaa has played about 30 tests and Hanson might have played ONE test.

Anyway this article also raises a vexing issue that we have discussed with TOCC several times previously, namely Wallabies players (on ARU top ups) signing for less money to stay at certain teams - in this case the Reds. What total BS. ANY professional player will go to the big pay packet, NONE of them will take hundreds of thousands of dollars pay cuts just to play with their mats, sign the team song and wear the beloved jersey. Its the ARU top ups that keeps them at the Reds/Warratahs under the salary cap. As for the top up being negotiated AFTER the franchise contract, its a smokescreen designed to keep the inmates like us happy in the thought its all above board.

Lets face it, the Force has to pay all 30 players their complete wage from the salary cap, the Reds with 14 wallabies and the Tahs with 14 wallabies only have to pay 16 players their complete wage, and to make it worse its the most expensive players that are on cut price deals!! What an absolute joke.
    whilest i agree with what you are saying thee are less then 30 ARU top uo's so a player like hanson would not be getting one just because he has played 1 test.

The top ups should be based on games played in the year before.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is not based on anything like that. The top-ups are pretty straightforward - they go to the players the Wallabies can't afford to lose. So at the moment for instance, McCalman gets one while Gill doesn't. It all depends on how many options there are for your spot and where you are in the pecking order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    whilest i agree with what you are saying thee are less then 30 ARU top uo's so a player like hanson would not be getting one just because he has played 1 test.

The top ups should be based on games played in the year before.
    As well as a 2nd tier of players who are fringe players, or development players who we don't want to lose. Or to think that we have forgotten about them. IMO anyway.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    A simpler way would be to get paid the full Super Rugby wage by the club and only get paid by the ARU for being picked by the Wallabies (actual match payments).

In theory, this would mean that the existing Wallabies would have to stay in form and fit to get selected, so I bet RUPA would be up in arms.

Player
    vCash
    Morahan I can understand and he would be an excellent pick up.
    But why are we chasing Hansen? We have an excellent young hooker in Nathan Charles and an excellent back up in Ben Whittaker. Both are quality hookers.
    Hansen doesnt offer anything more than either of these two guys. Unless they are planning to move and I dont see why (the Rebels are probably the only team where a starting hooker position is available) then why bother chasing someone like Hansen? It sends a bad message to Charles and Whittaker who have been loyal and have been performing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    Morahan I can understand and he would be an excellent pick up.
    But why are we chasing Hansen? We have an excellent young hooker in Nathan Charles and an excellent back up in Ben Whittaker. Both are quality hookers.
    Hansen doesnt offer anything more than either of these two guys. Unless they are planning to move and I dont see why (the Rebels are probably the only team where a starting hooker position is available) then why bother chasing someone like Hansen? It sends a bad message to Charles and Whittaker who have been loyal and have been performing.
    I hear what you're saying about Hansen, and it makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast