Thread: Charles season over after rupturing knee

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Charles season over after rupturing knee

Nick Taylor,
    The West Australian
    March 26, 2013, 8:20 am

Western Force have been dealt a bitter blow, losing their most experienced hooker Nathan Charles for the rest of the Super Rugby season.

Charles, who has made 44 appearances for the club, ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in Saturday night's loss to the Cheetahs.

His knee buckled as he pushed off to sidestep a tackle in the 14th minute and he will have reconstructive surgery on Thursday.

Charles' place in the starting side for Sunday's clash with the Waratahs in Sydney is likely to be taken by Heath Tessmann, who replaced Charles and came off the bench in two other games.

The club's third hooker, Ben Whittaker, has played only one game - for the Force A against Samoa A - since recovering from a broken foot and is expected to fill the reserves spot.

Tessmann was signed as cover for Whittaker in January on a short-term contract after he was released from the Melbourne Rebels.

Coach Michael Foley is still waiting for medical reports on playmaker Sias Ebersohn and prop Pek Cowan who were also injured in the Cheetahs game.

Meanwhile, Force winger Alfie Mafi could be playing his way into Wallabies contention for the British Lions tour.

Mafi was one of the club's best in the disappointing 2012 season when he scored four tries.

He has carried that form into this year, already scoring four tries, and is the competition's leading try scorer with four other players.

He has a virtual licence to roam and has been highly involved in every game, running hard and straight from anywhere on the field and taking the inside ball into heavy traffic from the set piece.

"I put it down to a good pre-season and it makes it a lot easier when you're playing with a bunch of blokes you get along with," he said.

"Out on the field you want to play for the guys and especially for Foles (Foley). I like Foles as a coach.

"He and backs coach Steve (Meehan) pretty much told me to back my skills. They told me to but do everything at 100 per cent and back myself but I don't think I'm playing my best yet."

Though he is one of the form Australian wingers, Mafi is not thinking about Wallabies selection.

"That's a long shot, that one. I'll take it as it comes," he said.

Nor is he listening to rumours that he may be off to Japan at the end of the year and said if the offer was right he would be happy to stay in Perth.

"I just want to focus on my year with the Force and see where it takes me. I would love to stay here," he said. "I love the place and I love the boys."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...upturing-knee/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Looks like tessman will be here for the rest of the season.

Gotta feel for cheese! Poor bugger
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Bad news for Nathan, but positives there regarding Alfie Mafi.

vCash
    "Nor is he listening to rumours that he may be off to Japan at the end of the year and said if the offer was right he would be happy to stay in Perth.

"I just want to focus on my year with the Force and see where it takes me. I would love to stay here," he said. "I love the place and I love the boys."

Music to my ears

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    "Nor is he listening to rumours that he may be off to Japan at the end of the year and said if the offer was right he would be happy to stay in Perth.

Music to my ears
    Mine too Gaffa! He's worth digging deep into the pocket for!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    tough blow for Charles, especially as he uses his fitness and training as a tool to deal with the CF.

Get well soon big fella!

vCash
    I love his comments about the "we; me" team culture and the fact that he likes the coach! Those are the cornerstones for any successful team!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Tough break.

Let's hope Whittaker is up to the task after a long lay off. He was a fairly promising prospect. Did anyone see him play for Force A? How did he go?

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Big loss with Cheese going down for the year, although Tessman looked good on Sat night. Great news regarding Alfi! It brought a smile to my face. He's too young, and just coming into form, to be off to Japan. That's where you go when you want to retire and have written off your chances of playing with for the Wallabies. I think it will be a travesty if Alfi doesn't get a look in come June. He is THE form winger in Australia at the mo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "I put it down to a good pre-season and it makes it a lot easier when you're playing with a bunch of blokes you get along with," he said.

"Out on the field you want to play for the guys and especially for Foles (Foley). I like Foles as a coach.
    thats good to hear, he was the only bloke I didnt see rush to the huddles in the last home game, he spent alot of time standing on his own while the rest of the team were slapping bums and giving energy.

vCash
    Whits is top shelf.

Tessman was a surprise for me. The bloke went great

Controversy corner