Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Beale's rugby future under dark cloud

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Beale's rugby future under dark cloud

Jim Morton,
    AAP
    March 25, 2013, 2:47 pm

Serial offender Kurtley Beale is facing a heavy blow - to his pay packet and Wallabies selection prospects - after his latest drunken indiscretion.

Beale's days as a Melbourne Rebels player appear short-lived while he also looks to have blown his chances of starting for Australia against the British and Irish Lions in June.

Off-contract this year, the star back's future in rugby union is now under a dark cloud following his scuffle with Rebels teammate Cooper Vuna in Durban on the weekend.

Both Wallabies backs were due to return to Australia on Monday, on separate flights, to face a Rebels investigation.

But it's Beale who's in the deepest water as it seems the incident is the last straw for a club who has lost patience with their highly-paid playmaker's continued issues with alcohol.

Australian Rugby Union and Rebels officials are currently deciding who will head the disciplinary process into the incident but it's certain Beale will ultimately face an ARU tribunal for breaching the players' code of conduct.

Melbourne officials are deeply unhappy with the behaviour of their problem child and are prepared to throw the book at him.

The Rebels have shown they're willing to take a hard line on marquee players, suspending Danny Cipriani for six weeks for alcohol-related misdemeanours in 2011 before letting him go last year.

A prolonged suspension would severely hurt Beale's Test chances when Wallabies coach Robbie Deans names his 25-man squad for the Lions on June 1.

Already sidelined for the past three weeks with a broken hand, a hefty ban has major ramifications for the 24-year-old as it could rule him out of selection, or leave him well short of match fitness.

The latest incident occurred when a dishevelled Beale abused Rebels skipper Gareth Delve after the Welsh No.8 told him to put his shirt back on on the bus back to their north Durban hotel following the 64-7 loss to the Sharks.

Vuna intervened and was punched by Beale, before retaliating and felling the five-eighth.

Vuna was congratulated for his actions by now-retired foundation player Michael Lipman on Twitter on Monday.

Lipmann responded to Vuna's pre-flight tweet `Long trip home!' with: "I hope you upgraded to 1st class my man! Champagne on ice and caviar flowing - #Legend".

Foundation Rebels coach Rod Macqueen did not want to comment about Beale on Monday but did say Vuna had been a "model" professional for the club over the past 12 months.

There has been speculation Beale was set to return to the NSW Waratahs after this season, and it seems the Rebels will now put most of their energies into retaining vice-captain James O'Connor.

Beale has also lost a large measure of his bargaining power with the Waratahs and the ARU.

He's already facing potential sanctions for allegedly punching a bouncer at a Brisbane hotel last June.

The matter remains before the courts but because of an on-again, off-again mediation process he was allowed to play for the Wallabies late last season.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...er-dark-cloud/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Dumb action by management to let them go out drinking in public after the big loss

vCash
    So Vuna threw a retaliatory punch as well as breaking team protocol by tweeting about it.
    Seems like the right call to send them both home in that case.

Also seems like the right time for Beale to make that move to league.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    So Vuna threw a retaliatory punch as well as breaking team protocol by tweeting about it.
    Seems like the right call to send them both home in that case.

Also seems like the right time for Beale to make that move to league.
    How can you say that he tweeted about it? There is no way that you can read "got into a fight" with "Long flight Home".

The reporter is very much making MASSIVE assumptions as to the meaning of both tweets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    How can you say that he tweeted about it? There is no way that you can read "got into a fight" with "Long flight Home".

The reporter is very much making MASSIVE assumptions as to the meaning of both tweets.
    "Long flight home" was a later tweet. There was a series of tweets before that, which have since been deleted. You can read them on G&GR though if you want. Here is the link:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the...ecial-edition/

What was not made clear in those deleted tweets was that Vuna's intervention included him throwing a punch of his own.

I stand by my earlier comments.

vCash
    It seems like a stupid thing to say but the tweets might be the bigger issue. In the heat of the moment punching someone back might seem perfectly appropriate to defend yourself, but the tweets are pre-meditated and I imagine a blatant breach of team protocol.

vCash
    I tend to agree Beige.

Veteran
    vCash
    "Long flight home" was a later tweet. There was a series of tweets before that, which have since been deleted. You can read them on G&GR though if you want. Here is the link:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the...ecial-edition/

What was not made clear in those deleted tweets was that Vuna's intervention included him throwing a punch of his own.

I stand by my earlier comments.
    Thank you, and i apologise! I was wrong.

You are damn right about not tweeting! Perhaps your personal Facebook, which you know only has close friends, not every tom dick and harry that can follow!

I'm sorry, but beale's action was worse than tweeting it! Sure it was against team protocols, and having some fisty-cuffs on the training paddock is expected in this sort of game, but on the team bus!? never.

pity too, as i like beale as 5/8...

vCash
    see if we lived in a fair rugby society here in Australia. Beale would already have his rebels & ARU contract torn up like henkack, & even tiquiri after these repeated infringements.

However - that won't happen until hell freezes over
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'm sorry, but beale's action was worse than tweeting it! Sure it was against team protocols, and having some fisty-cuffs on the training paddock is expected in this sort of game, but on the team bus!? never.
    Spot on

You could maybe understand a bit a of dust up at training with young blokes in a competitive environment

But on the team bus? Thats rubbish

Factor in Beale's past indiscretions and he looks like being on some very thin ice. How will this look to the people involved with his mediation process?

vCash
    I'm sorry, but beale's action was worse than tweeting it!
    I was talking about Vuna but carry on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Spot on

You could maybe understand a bit a of dust up at training with young blokes in a competitive environment

But on the team bus? Thats rubbish

Factor in Beale's past indiscretions and he looks like being on some very thin ice. How will this look to the people involved with his mediation process?
    This is the perfect chance for the ARU under Pulver to take a hard line on overpaid bogans who can't handle their piss, and should know better. If it doesn't happen now with Beale as the example it will set te precedent that players can do what they want with minim consequences and then re-offend in < 12 months. As is the case this time. Beale should have been suspended when he punched the bouncer until the matter was resolved.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This is the perfect chance for the ARU under Pulver to take a hard line on overpaid bogans who can't handle their piss, and should know better. If it doesn't happen now with Beale as the example it will set te precedent that players can do what they want with minim consequences and then re-offend in < 12 months. As is the case this time. Beale should have been suspended when he punched the bouncer until the matter was resolved.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You're right Jono, until the ARU stand frim on this type of carry on and start imposing some hash penalties, they can expect plenty more of the same from the three amigos et al.

If he had been delt with in the correct manner last time this may not have even happend, because if it was dealt with a drinking ban during season would have been pert of a fair penalty, what now?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    You're right Jono, until the ARU stand frim on this type of carry on and start imposing some hash penalties, they can expect plenty more of the same from the three amigos et al.

If he had been delt with in the correct manner last time this may not have even happend, because if it was dealt with a drinking ban during season would have been pert of a fair penalty, what now?
    Lock up your laptops when not in use
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    someone told him that tweeting might not be a good idea and he replied with "i dont care.. people have to know" that alone speaks volumes about the situation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast