Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force beat reds. Queensland in shock.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force beat reds. Queensland in shock.

The Emirates Western Force has broken through for its first win of the season, defeating the Queensland Reds 19-12 at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

The Western Australians built the win on the back of a tight defensive effort, holding the Reds try-less for the duration of the match, with the victory marking the side’s first in six attempts in Brisbane.

The Force held a narrow 13-12 half-time lead and posted the only points of the second half through the boot of flyhalf Sias Ebersohn.

Scrumhalf Alby Mathewson was heavily involved throughout the 80 minutes, including two linebreaks with one setting up Alfie Mafi for the only try of the match and the left winger’s fourth for the season.

Head Coach Michael Foley said the win was another important step in the relaunch of the side.

“What’s been evident in the first four games has been the character of the guys in this side and I’ve been most impressed with that,” he said.

“It’s a throwaway line in sport but this is a team that had a particularly difficult year last year; has really no combinations outside the four games we’ve played so far this year; every week works hard on the training field to be better; and then they get to the game and show enormous character.

“The Reds are a good side and we gave them some chances and we had to work particularly hard to hold them out tonight.”

The first half became a penalty shootout between Ebersohn and opposite number Quade Cooper with the Reds holding a 9-6 lead by the 30th minute.

Two minutes later Mathewson orchestrated the sole five-pointer of the match when he found space from the base of the ruck and scooted away before linking with Mafi, who outpaced the cover defence to touch down in the corner.

While Ebersohn landed a booming sideline conversion, Cooper added his fourth penalty three minutes from the break to get his side to within one point.

Ebersohn added his third penalty goal when Reds flanker Eddie Quirk received a yellow card for a shoulder charge on Force centre Kyle Godwin.

The Force appeared to have extended their lead when replacement winger Junior Rasolea appeared to have scored in the left corner. The movement began with another Mathewson linebreak before the scrumhalf toed the ball through for a flying Rasolea, only to have TMO Steve Leszczynski disallow the try for a knock on.

Ebersohn added a final penalty goal with 10 minutes remaining with the Force defensive line holding true for the dying stages of the match to take the seven-point win.

The Emirates Western Force returns to Perth tomorrow before taking to the new nib Stadium to face the Cheetahs next Saturday in their first home match of the season.

2013 Super Rugby – Week 5
    Saturday, 16 March 2013 at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
    Kick-off: 6.40pm (local)/4.40pm (AWST)

Emirates Western Force 19 (Alfie Mafi try; Sias Ebersohn 1/1 conversion, 4/5 penalty goals) defeated Queensland Reds 12 (Quade Cooper 4/5 penalty goals)
    Emirates Western Force
    1. Pek Cowan (c), 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Salesi Ma’afu, 4. Toby Lynn, 5. Hugh McMeniman, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Richard Brown, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Alfie Mafi, 12. Kyle Godwin, 13. Winston Stanley, 14. Patrick Dellit, 15. Will Tupou. Res: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Tetera Faulkner, 18. Phoenix Battye, 19. Ben McCalman, 20. Mick Snowden, 21. Junior Rasolea, 22. Jayden Hayward
    Coach: Michael Foley

Queensland Reds
    1. Greg Holmes, 2. Saia Faingaa, 3. James Slipper, 4. Ed O’Donoghue, 5. Rob Simmons, 6. Eddie Quirk, 7. Liam Gill, 8. Jake Schatz,
    9. Will Genia (c), 10. Quade Cooper, 11. Chris Feauai-Sautia, 12. Ben Tapuai, 13. Mike Harris, 14. Luke Morahan, 15. Jono Lance. Res: 16. James Hanson, 17. Albert Anae, 18. Adam Wallace-Harrison, 19. Jarrad Butler, 20. Nick Frisby, 21. Dom Shipperley, 22. Aidan Toua
    Coach: Ewen McKenzie

Yellow Cards: Eddie Quirk (56th minute)
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Angus Gardner

By the Clock

Min Details Score
    3 Sias Ebersohn Penalty Goal 3-0
    12 Quade Cooper Missed PG 3-0
    17 Quade Cooper Penalty Goal 3-3
    21 Quade Cooper Penalty Goal 6-3
    23 Sias Ebersohn Penalty Goal 6-6
    30 Quade Cooper Penalty Goal 9-6
    32 Alfie Mafi Try 11-9
    33 Sias Ebersohn Conversion 13-9
    37 Quade Cooper Penalty Goal 13-12
    44 Sias Ebersohn Missed PG 13-12
    56 Ed Quirk Sin Bin 13-12
    57 Sias Ebersohn Penalty Goal 16-12
    70 Sias Ebersohn Penalty Goal 19-12

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's a nice picture.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's a nice picture.
    It was just great to see how happy the guys were after the game, Paddy Dellit was so pumped and had a lot to say in congratulations to his team-mates. They deserved that win, it's been a while coming.

Just wish I could've seen when karma arrived and bit RG on the arse!

vCash
    AND - what a great way to prepare for the first home game at the new NIB! - should be a big Sea of Blue next week (I know I'm bloody pumped about it already)

vCash
    Great game! And I wonder how good we could be, when we start to hit our straps creatively?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    AND - what a great way to prepare for the first home game at the new NIB! - should be a big Sea of Blue next week (I know I'm bloody pumped about it already)
    Foles & the boys all said how excited that they are to get back to NIB for the first home game.

Hopefully this form keeps building and we might be able to make a decent accounting for ourselves this year!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Also - on points difference we're now above the rabble & the tahs on the ladder
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Just goes to show guts and determination goes a long way in sport. If we keep working this hard, we will keep improving and will earn the respect of everyone.
    Huge win against a quality side, it really was awe inspiring stuff at times how much the boys wanted this result.

Anythings possible boys, we're right there with you.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    It was just great to see how happy the guys were after the game, Paddy Dellit was so pumped and had a lot to say in congratulations to his team-mates. They deserved that win, it's been a while coming.

Just wish I could've seen when karma arrived and bit RG on the arse!
    hope someone tells Paddy that knocking the ball over the deadball line with your hands is a no no
    it's not league

vCash
    The form was there and so was the hard work. Leading at the break in all 2013 fixtures. Everyone was down in the mouth after the Kings defeat but they've shown themselves a competitive outfit so far.

In all the pictures I've seen Alby Matthews seems absolutely pumped with the win. So far it looks like he might be one of the best buys in our short history. Too bad he's limited to 2 seasons. These young backs can really grow with a bloke like him organising thngs around the breakdown.

Our forwards for the most part were effective and the back rowers punishing. Onwards and upwards.

One last thing: GET MADNESS TO EXTEND!!!!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    Thank heaven for Foxtel IQ so I can watch the match over and over again

The force are on a roll and I expect Sias to show up his twin brother Robert

vCash
    At last I can replace the one game I saved on foxtel last year against the reds, which kept me alive in the lean times, with a new highlight reel to keep!

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Thank heaven for Foxtel IQ so I can watch the match over and over again

The force are on a roll and I expect Sias to show up his twin brother Robert
    It's definitely going to be interesting.

I wonder if Mum and Dad will be in Perth next weekend to watch both their boys play against each other.

Cheetah's are a bit unpredictable so far in 2013.

I'm banking on a WF home win by 7 points or more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast