Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought?

Rookie
    vCash

Question Food for thought?

I have been having withdrawal symptoms after loosing my password. Still celebrating the win over the Reds and looking forward to Saturday night.
    Questions for the gurus?
    1. What is happening with CTM and McCaffrey ? Did they show anything outstanding in the Force A game the other week.
    2. With QC being shit under pressure and Australia looking for a good # 10 how long before Sias is eligible for the Wallabies (RWC)?
    3. Are WF already shopping for personnel for 2014 and beyond?
    4. Can we please employ an AFL guy to teach people how to catch the high ball. That means get your arse in the air and compete.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    from what i remembers of the game we caught the high ball OK - i could have missed a few though

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    1 dunno, didn't see it
    2 3 years to qualify via residency
    3 I would say always on the lookout, but also looking at who in the current squad don't fit Foley's plan for the team
    4 nearly old bastard aren't you? I think we've been doing OK under the high ball, but will be better with some experience in the back 3. I reckon it's more about indecision than a lack of skill, and a SNK at 15 with a cannon strapped to his ankle, a reasonable catch and a heap of experience (not to mention a willingness to tell others what to do) might be the first answer to the question.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boab View Post
    4. Can we please employ an AFL guy to teach people how to catch the high ball. That means get your arse in the air and compete.
    Izzy was laways good in his NRL days but after some AFL experience he is even better and has made some taken some beauts already.

Not only could an AFL expert assist with a bit of catching, but distance and accurate kicking could also be worked on.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Yep we did well with the "high ball" at least until 4 mins to go when I had a power blackout ...and missed the last 4 mins of the game...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Izzy was laways good in his NRL days but after some AFL experience he is even better and has made some taken some beauts already.

Not only could an AFL expert assist with a bit of catching, but distance and accurate kicking could also be worked on.
    didn't the All Blacks or the Crusaders use a AFL coach to help with this area a few years ago?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boab View Post
    I have been having withdrawal symptoms after loosing my password. 4. Can we please employ an AFL guy to teach people how to catch the high ball. That means get your arse in the air and compete.
    Boab - I must say that my rugby playing career was limited to schoolboy stuff, but I can still remember the technique I was taught when trying to catch the high ball, which was to make sure that you turned your body to ensure that any dropped ball would go backwards.....It really pi$$es me off when I see highly paid professionals steaming in and trying to catch the ball square on the chest

vCash
    Good point, I was taught the same basics, it is not that hard to do, except for the times when you are going to get a front on train smash.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    It really pi$$es me off when I see highly paid professionals steaming in and trying to catch the ball square on the chest
    What like pretty much 100% of catches taken in GayFL?

One of the reasons I don't rate fumbleball coaching for rugby players. kicking, on the other hand, might be worth a look!

C'mon the

vCash
    gayfl kicking is a lot harder to adjust to rugby balls than the other way around. their ball is smaller and lighter (this is why its easier to catch above their heads) and most of their kicks are on the fly punting. Banana kicks and punts out of the defending 22 are really the only usefull applications of afl kicking.

vCash
    If you watched Mills or Dagg, Jane, O'Connor they take the high ball front on kicking out a leg towards the opposition which creates distance, then time when landing n continues their forward momentum for obvious reasons. The tackler gets to close he gets a grill full of spriggs.
    U would like to think the cream could move on from SBoy basics..
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    If you watched Mills or Dagg, Jane, O'Connor they take the high ball front on kicking out a leg towards the opposition which creates distance, then time when landing n continues their forward momentum for obvious reasons. The tackler gets to close he gets a grill full of spriggs.
    U would like to think the cream could move on from SBoy basics..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah it would be like David Warner hitting the ball along the ground all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Yeah it would be like David Warner hitting the ball along the ground all the time.
    haha yep play within the 'V' & along the ground = boring.

2. Sias isn't close; even if he were eligible. We've got, Leiafano, Tomua, Beale, O'Connor, Harris, Barnes, Volavola n QC. Hopefully Sias will have the complete game in a few yrs where he'll being pressing for a Wallabies spot. (pls excuse the average spelling of surnames)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    Agree with several of the comments made. However, the one thing us aussies are good at is taking something and making it better. Whether this be taking the high ball, moving the ball along the backline, cleaning out the ruck (legally). But to do this we look at other codes and how they do some of their drills which may assist us to perform better as a team. That is why coaches tour other organisations to identify ways of improving.
    On several other points - CTM and McCaffrey are they looking the goods and if so will they ever get a run ?
    And as for my question I asked about Sias. He controlled the game well and his defence was excellent (note for QC) and I am aware he doesn't qualify just yet. However, some of our forum members think Leiliafano, Toomua, Barnes, Beale, JOC all have ownership of the # 10 jumper. On form ( Note for Dingo) the two from the brumbies would get a start and the rest should hide out in the backline. As for QC - take up boxing full time.

vCash
    I would also like to know how CTM and McCaffrey are going.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast