Thread: Madness gives Force mongrel

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Madness gives Force mongrel

Nick Taylor
    Brisbane,
    The West Australian
    March 15, 2013, 7:19 am

Hugh McMeniman's stocks are soaring after just two games back in Super Rugby.

He is Australia's top performing second-rower, with his numbers showing that, on average, he is carrying the ball more metres per game than his rivals.

And he will be out to add a few more points to his worth when he fronts his old Queensland teammates in Brisbane for the first time in four years tomorrow.

The forward played with scant regard for his own safety in recent matches in South Africa against the Southern Kings and the Bulls, proving he had lost none of the abrasive mongrel that earned him the nickname "Madness" while he was with the Reds.

Three hits in the Bulls clash highlighted what the 114kg, 200cm enforcer was capable of when he stopped Springboks full-back Zane Kirchner in his tracks, gave flanker Jacques Potgieter a headache in a bruising run and then levelled opposition second-rower Flip van der Merwe as he tried to bust through close to the Force line.

After three years of the less physical game in Japan, the former Wallaby relished the return to the crunching hits and tackles of South Africa.

"It was a good place to start. They are big boys and pretty rough. I knew what to expect. The contact was heavy, but I enjoy heavy contact," McMeniman said.

Many of the Reds will know what is coming their way when he unleashes his aggression at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow.

Queensland forwards and close mates Greg Holmes and Jake Schatz have already put him on red alert.

"They gave me a bit of niggle about not being here the last few years, so I think they will definitely welcome me back," McMeniman said.

"It's special because I get to play in front of my family and old friends which I haven't been able to do for a long time, but more importantly is what it means to the team.

"We achieved a lot from the Bulls game and we want to build on that. We are looking to replicate the attitude and feeling we had out there."

The Force have started negotiations to extend McMeniman's one-year contract as other clubs show interest in him.

"The Force have given me the opportunity to play Super Rugby again. I want to repay that and it would be ideal if I was in Perth this time next year," he said.

The Force initially signed McMeniman for one season from Kubota because both he and the club wanted to ensure he was up to the physical battering of Super Rugby after serious shoulder and knee injuries at the Reds and then spending three years in Japan.

The Force purse was also running low, but the Australian Rugby Union, sensing the value of McMeniman for the upcoming British Lions tour, came to the party and increased the offer.

McMeniman, 29, earned 21 caps for the Wallabies and made 29 Super Rugby appearances for the Reds before injuries cut short his Australian career. He headed to Japan.

He said his body had stood up well to the start of the Super season and he was on a training regime designed to keep it that way.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...force-mongrel/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Force mongrel

two words I hope to see more of together in the future.
    Win or lose I want these blokes to get out there and at least look like they want to play rugby.

Champion
    vCash
    Looking at G & G Rugby this morning they said the rumour is he is going back to Queensland next year... I am hoping that is just wishful thinking on the Reds behalf!!

vCash

McMeniman can blast his way into Queensland side

And this on Perth Now - mind you it's from The Courier Mail - Go team News Ltd

WESTERN Force weapon Hugh McMeniman is a prime target for a return to the Reds in 2014 now that creaks and strains are nobbling the ageing end of the Queensland squad.

That the Reds will regenerate their forward stocks for next season was certain even before the 20 minutes at Ballymore yesterday which emphasised the need.

Backrower Radike Samo, 36, pulled out of the reserves for tomorrow night's clash against Western Force at Suncorp with a knee niggle at the beginning of training.

He has been replaced by lock Adam Wallace-Harrison, 33, whose own recurring knee issues had been outlined by coaching boss Ewen McKenzie as one reason for his sparing match workload

With David McDuling, an unlucky double knee surgery victim, also off contract at the end of the season, the Reds will be sizing up all available 2m, 115kg experienced locks.

Enter McMeniman.

He contacted McKenzie last August when seeking a route back from Japan but the Reds' contract list was full.

A performance tomorrow night of powerful charges, hammer hits and lineout excellence will give McKenzie extra reason to start chasing McMeniman.

The 29-year-old is on a one-year deal at the Force but he's enjoying his rekindled partnership with coach Michael Foley.

"Foles became a deciding factor in going to the Force,'' McMeniman said yesterday. "I thought, coming back from Japan and wanting to get back to the highest level, he was probably the best coach to get me to those places.''

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226597667345

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    The Force purse was also running low
    Really?! Surely we should have plenty in the bank with Pocock and Sharpie going and a list that doesn't really contain any massive stars who would command the big dollars?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Really?! Surely we should have plenty in the bank with Pocock and Sharpie going and a list that doesn't really contain any massive stars who would command the big dollars?
    No ARU top-ups for players mean we have to pay their entire wage?

vCash
    no because a player doesnt know what the ARU will give them untill they have signed for what the club has offered. So even if the ARU has come to the party he would have known untill he had signed for the Force. Thats the way it is ment to work but as we know it seems for be one rule for some and another for others.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    reading that article, it cites no sources whatsoever so is a speculation piece designed to troll Force fans and titilate Reds fans... wasnt it just last week that there was a similar article saying the brumbies were targetting him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    also, aren't the Force apparently always trying to steal other teams' players by offering "lucrative third party deals" and "backroom endorsements"?

now they are strapped for cash, despite the low profile player roster?

seems like Nick Taylor is having his cake and eating it with this one.

vCash
    And - we are playing the reds this weekend...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    I can't see why MMM wouldn't resign with the force as McKenzie will be in the Wallabies Job before Christmas and RG couldn't coach under 6 rugby

vCash
    Wouldn't be surprised if someone at the QRU said last year "look guys, let the Force pay for him for 2013, we'll keep a close eye on him and if he's any good we'll make a bid in 2014. That way we can save a bit of cash and have lost nothing if he turns out not to be the goods"

Sneaky fuggers that lot in my experience!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "The Force have given me the opportunity to play Super Rugby again. I want to repay that and it would be ideal if I was in Perth this time next year," he said.
    This is a quote

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    A performance tomorrow night of powerful charges, hammer hits and lineout excellence will give McKenzie extra reason to start chasing McMeniman.
    This is speculation

The 29-year-old is on a one-year deal at the Force but he's enjoying his rekindled partnership with coach Michael Foley.
    This is confusing

"Foles became a deciding factor in going to the Force,'' McMeniman said yesterday. "I thought, coming back from Japan and wanting to get back to the highest level, he was probably the best coach to get me to those places.''
    This is a quote

Sounds like Madness wants to stay in Perth to me!

Also, Pek Cowan on Rugby HQ last night stopped short of saying he was going to be in Perth after his current season runs out, but then implied strongly that it was because he needed to see how the body holds up and whether he was offered a contract. I wouldn't expect him to look around after the length of time hes been here though!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    This is a quote
    Also, Pek Cowan on Rugby HQ last night stopped short of saying he was going to be in Perth after his current season runs out
    Agreed, he did sound a little doubtful with the "9 years is a long time" statement.