Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This Weeks Trials

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

This Weeks Trials

Well, I don't know what happened in other trials, but I was disappointed at the Palmyra Soaks match up today.

Soaks trounced Palmyra in all grades prior to my arriving, so I can't comment on that.

The Premier Grade game was a one sided affair. Associates dominated in the first 20 minutes (the game was played in two 20 minute halves, which in 40 degree temperature was more than enough) and they held complete control in the lineouts, winning all their own ball and most of Palmyra's.

The scrums were slightly more competitive for Palmyra, although Soaks had control and Paly were penalised time and again for charging, in a frustrated effort on their part to assert some authority over a vastly heavier and more powerful Soaks outfit.

In the backline Soaks showed the influence of their financial support, fielding an an almost entirely new grouping from last year, missing Dreyer, Goodwin and a number of other regulars, yet having effortlessly replaced them with a new set which were more than competent, launching wave after wave of effective attacks on the Palmyra line.

The second 20 minutes were less disasterous for Palmyra, with players from both sides affected by the extremely hot conditions, but nevertheless Soaks stamped their authority and control in a disciplined and impressive performance of attacking rugby.

The referees were disappointing, with many free kicks being awarded, in my opinion undeservedly, which saved Palmyra from a complete route.

I'm afraid it's going to be a long hard season.

Final score four tries to nil.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Wests got touched up in 3rds,beaten by a couple of tries in 2nds ,and I think about 3 tries each in 1st grade although very difficult to gauge in the heat.One thing to come out of it was how players react when the body starts to go, how the mind starts to go with it,nothing that a bit of 80's style down and up session's wouldn't fix.One really pleasing aspect was the way the 18's absolutely put Uni to the sword,musta put at least 50 on them running in tries from behind their own goaline.Uni 1st's were missing plenty of regulars so they'll be very competitive when the season get's going.

vCash
    Uni were pretty ordinary at the Margaret River sevens a couple of weeks ago and Wests were well up there.

I know they're different games, but Uni must have improved a hell of a lot to match Wests in Premiers.

What happened?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Kalamunda put Swan Suburbs to the sword on Friday night. Got up by 1 or 2 tries I think.

Rookie
    vCash
    Rocky had their first hit out of the season.

Encouraging signs for the season, holding their own in certain areas, dominant in others.

Nedlands scoring approx 4 tries to 2. I think Rocky would have taken more out of this than Nedlands. With a lot of new players Rocky will only get better as they gel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    ...The referees were disappointing.....
    Don't forget that, unlike the players who can train by match simulation with opposition or not, referees have to wait until these trial games to do any training other than fitness and theory. This would have been the first run for most of those who helped to officiate this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
    Kalamunda put Swan Suburbs to the sword on Friday night. Got up by 1 or 2 tries I think.
    Kalamunda 3rds and 4ths played in this trial. Kalamunda won 4 tries to 1. Kalamunda prems and 2nds were training on the second field.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohepa View Post
    Rocky had their first hit out of the season.

Encouraging signs for the season, holding their own in certain areas, dominant in others.

Nedlands scoring approx 4 tries to 2. I think Rocky would have taken more out of this than Nedlands. With a lot of new players Rocky will only get better as they gel.
    How's Rocky travelling with player numbers. I'm informed they are struggling for depth.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Rookie
    vCash
    "Final score four tries to nil. "

To Palmyra! I saw the last 40 minutes of this trial as a dear friend of mine is involved in the Associates hierarchy and dragged me down.

Associates were physically larger but Palmyra was faster around the field and scored more tries.

Difficult to gauge anything from this as I suspect there were different standards of players on the field at any one time.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    How's Rocky travelling with player numbers. I'm informed they are struggling for depth.
    Players are at training - decision made on the Thursday not to participate on the Saturday in relation to the expected temperature.

vCash
    I went and watched the Uni vs Wests game and don't know what to say other than it was two mid strength teams battling it out in the heat. There were a lot of players missing from both teams, i think Wests looked like they were missing more of their regulars than Uni. Both teams showed signs of good structure, when i left it was Uni ahead 3 tries to one. Once again a lot of youth coming through for Wests, courtesy of their Aranmore connection, but they will be needing much more experience to get in to the top 4 in my eyes

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    "Final score four tries to nil. "

To Palmyra! I saw the last 40 minutes of this trial as a dear friend of mine is involved in the Associates hierarchy and dragged me down.

Associates were physically larger but Palmyra was faster around the field and scored more tries.
    Just as I suspected Fulvio

Prospect
    vCash
    Fulvio very disappointed with your comments re Associates v Palmyra trial on the weekend.

Firstly I would like to correct your comment quote "the influence of their financial support, fielding an almost entirely new grouping from last year". You obvoiusly have no clue of the inner workings of the club and your assumption is way off the mark.

The quote "entirely new grouping" is for your benefit our 20+ players from the Under 20's Premiership side from last year. The players that played on the weekend was the majority of the 3 Premiership Teams we had from last year and past players who have rejoined the club due to our success in 2012.

Fulvio please get some facts before typing because you are way off the mark as far as Associates is concerned.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Islander?

Are you sure?

At Associates?

Never. I thought they had a white only policy

vCash
    Islander, I apologise if I got that part wrong, but am somewhat suprised that that was all you took issue with if you were at the trial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast