Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Squad so far

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    All this talk about our forwards what I wouldn't give for the force to be blessed with the same depth and talent in the back line
    Actually, I think we might be on the way.

Luke Morahan is no slouch, from what I've seen, we have the mighty Honey Badger (everybody seems to want to write a story about him at the moment) and a couple of untested newbies like Brache and others to add to the consistent starters from last year.

Zack Holmes will certainly push for the 10 and Kyle is verging on Wallaby selection (would probably already have it save for injury)

Year, I know there's not the depth of the pack, but I don't thing we'll be fielding a starting seven backs with holes in it like previous seasons.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash

Bench Players

Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    When all is said and done the one thing we can be sure of is that we will have depth on the bench. Impact players coming on with 20 mins to go and wanting a starting position next week! I love it! Can't wait.
    100% correct snob Only problem is we have to inform the coach to use the bench at a good time not wait for 5 mins to go this is nothing about who is on the bench but a note to make sure the bench gets on the paddock..
    All players in the squad look like they could start so why not use them well off the bench and sort of give the force a second starting line up with 20 to go what a finish that would make to a game..
    Even use a bit of rotation start this week off bench next..

This is only my thought seeing our forward pack is so strong could reduce injuries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    What about

4 MMM
    5 steenkamp
    6 hodgo
    7 Alcock
    8 McCalman

Bench wykes and cottrell

Does that give us enough in the lineout?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I suspect Stander will start at 8 with Ben Mac at 6
    Hodgo is a great player and person but I think we might have a new Captain this year
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    I suspect Stander will start at 8 with Ben Mac at 6
    Hodgo is a great player and person but I think we might have a new Captain this year
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That's a big call, to put the club captain on the bench, but it's not impossible.

The problems you'd love to have.

One for the refs. If the team captain starts on the bench, does the on-field captain relinquish the captaincy immediately on his entrance to the field, or does captaincy of the game remain with the man who started until he leaves the field?

Surely Hodgo can still toss the coin and be the inspiration he has been from the bench. I would see it as the ultimate 'taking one for the team'

Discuss.

C'mon the

vCash
    Stander has not proven himself at Super Rugby level - yet. Lot's of talk about loyalty (or the lack of) on these forums. I'd like to think the staff will show some to the captain. At least until the others are so outstanding that their form demands a starting spot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Lot's of talk about loyalty (or the lack of) on these forums. I'd like to think the staff will show some to the captain.
    Come on you know that only applies to players - not clubs or fans

Veteran
    vCash
    The only gaurenteed starter ahead of hodgo is Alcock. who one the flank should be ahead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'd like to think the staff will show some to the captain..Posted via Mobile Device
    but would Hodgo want the spot if the others are better than him?

I would NEVER suggest benching Hodgo for a lesser player, but I would similarly think twice about starting Hodgo (or even Sharpie) if there's a better option. The captain needs to earn his spot first.

It's certainly a concept which has sparked a lot of debate, which means there's some enticing options for Foley to pick from.......I guess the good news, with a set of blokes as tightly matched as these is that the difference between a brilliant choice and the worst possible outcome won't be all that much!

C'mon the

vCash
    Looking at the players out of contract this year.... wouldn't now be a good time (with all the well deserved current enthusiasm) to get some pens to papers???

Lets use all this positivity to get some good players locked in

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Contract negotiation argh what fun. Still when you have a look through the team lists and see who is actually getting picked it raises some eyebrows. For instance Ollie in front of two fully contracted players, Coleman in front of Phoenix which to me means the best player available is being picked. It will make contract negotiations in those areas a bit strained with some players.

Recruitment will go crazy when the new NRC starts and some young guys or old forgotten guys get to show their skills.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    The only gaurenteed starter ahead of hodgo is Alcock. who one the flank should be ahead?
    It's interesting to read these posts from January re our Captain and the injury to Chris Alcock who will take no further part this year. Chris was obviously carrying this shoulder for some time as he made no impact in the trials or in the early games.

Yet again Matt H has let his rugby do the talking and is currently the standout Open Side Flanker in Australian Rugby with a tackle count twice that of Hooper and Gill (who is now out for at least a month). Hodgo is 2nd in tackles for the SXV (with the leader having played an extra game). His 3 tries in 5 games have also been handy.

On the basis of his efforts to date our Captain would be the first picked every week. The leadership he shows suggests that even when not at his best he still justifies his selection.

The real concern is that we now have no real replacement for him in the squad.

We have great coverage at 6 & 8 but, just like the Wallabies, we are very light for coverage for 7.

I would hope that we're looking for a No 7 to ensure that we have coverage for this important position.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very sad to hear that Chris Alcock is out for the entire season :-((

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    It's interesting to read these posts from January re our Captain and the injury to Chris Alcock who will take no further part this year. Chris was obviously carrying this shoulder for some time as he made no impact in the trials or in the early games.

Yet again Matt H has let his rugby do the talking and is currently the standout Open Side Flanker in Australian Rugby with a tackle count twice that of Hooper and Gill (who is now out for at least a month). Hodgo is 2nd in tackles for the SXV (with the leader having played an extra game). His 3 tries in 5 games have also been handy.

On the basis of his efforts to date our Captain would be the first picked every week. The leadership he shows suggests that even when not at his best he still justifies his selection.

The real concern is that we now have no real replacement for him in the squad.

We have great coverage at 6 & 8 but, just like the Wallabies, we are very light for coverage for 7.

I would hope that we're looking for a No 7 to ensure that we have coverage for this important position.
    Stander is considered a 7 with the running game to play 8 so he would be the next in if hodgo went down then you have the local boys who played in the trials i think its Hanning? He looked good still very young though. Or then you bring in an older head like Ryan Hodson who I think is playing in Sydney.

but that is massive to loose alcock for the year after last year efforts.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Hodson is in england

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    It's interesting to read these posts from January re our Captain and the injury to Chris Alcock who will take no further part this year.
    he has certainly shut me up, that's for sure. I remember calling for his head after the Brumbies game as well, so it seems that when Hdgeo plays well the Force play well.

Would have to be on the radar for more gold this year, he's even eclipsing Hooper. I wouldn't think a short term prospect like him would get into a tightly contested spot, but with Pocock and Gill down, there's a need for somebody to back Hooper up, especially when that somebody is playing better than Hooper right now.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast