Thread: Dellit & Alcock Earn Start Against Reds

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Dellit & Alcock Earn Start Against Reds

Winger Patrick Dellit returns from injury while flanker Chris Alcock has been promoted from the bench for the Emirates Western Force’s clash against the Queensland Reds in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Dellit suffered an ankle injury and facial fractures in the Force’s season opener against the Rebels in Melbourne, but will return for the Western Australian side at Suncorp Stadium in place of Wallabies winger Nick Cummins. Cummins, who started against the Bulls a fortnight ago, has been ruled out after inflaming a knee injury suffered during the pre-season.

Alcock’s call-up comes at the expense of captain Matt Hodgson, who has been rested to overcome a hamstring injury after aggravating it at Loftus Versfeld.

In Hodgson’s absence, front-rower Pek Cowan will lead the side for the second time this season.

The match will also mark lock Hugh McMeniman’s first appearance against his former province after joining the Emirates Western Force for the 2013 season. The 29-year-old, who has been a consistent performer for the Force through the early stages of the competition, played five years with the Reds before linking up with Japanese club, the Kubota Spears, following the 2009 Super 12 season.

After featuring five forwards on its reserves list in South Africa, the Emirates Western Force will revert to a more traditional four-three split against the Queenslanders. Lock Phoenix Battye comes in for the injured Sam Wykes (ankle) while Brisbane-born back Junior Rasolea returns to the Force bench, alongside scrumhalf Mick Snowden and midfielder Jayden Hayward.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said his side would seek to build on the momentum from its last performance against the Bulls.

"During the Bulls, we were pleased with the character the team displayed as well as a number of elements of our game," he said.

"We have used the bye week to emphasise the lessons we've learnt from the first three games and recognise the challenge in continuing to grow as a team and develop our game against the Reds.

"Saturday provides a great opportunity for both Chris and Paddy. Chris has played well for us in our opening three matches. Likewise, Paddy has been one of our most improved performers through the pre-season and against the Rebels."

2013 Super Rugby – Week Five
    Reds v Emirates Western Force
    Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
    Saturday, 16 March 2013
    Kick-off: 6.40pm (local)/4.40pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan (c)
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Salesi Ma’afu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Hugh McMeniman
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Chris Alcock
    8. Richard Brown
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Alfie Mafi
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Winston Stanley
    14. Patrick Dellit
    15. Will Tupou

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Phoenix Battye
    19. Ben McCalman
    20. Mick Snowden
    21. Junior Rasolea
    22. Jayden Hayward

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Looking at the starting XV we should have enough their to get over the line and get our first win of the season

vCash
    I like that team.

Stanley's starting to grow on me having seen the other options. I can only think of injured players who would be better in any position.

(even Hodgeo will struggle to make it back into the team, and that's bloody good news for us!)

Ooops, just looked at the props, we need the first 40 to be a set piece battle with lots of scrums, because Maafu isn't that great around the field! I would have picked Faulkner personally, but a change at 40 could work to sort out the second half fade we've been suffering

Last edited by GIGS20; 15-03-13 at 13:18. Reason: Bloody Props!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I've placed my bet.

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Just need a bloody good injection of self belief, and avoid the panic that seems to set in once we start to look like winning.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Looks pretty good, we can do this. The only ones I am not convinced on are 13 and 15 but hopefully they play well. Browny needs a big game after talking up playing for the wallabies during the week

vCash
    Benny mac to come on @ 40/50 and unleash all kinds of hell! This going to be war!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I like that team.

Stanley's starting to grow on me having seen the other options. I can only think of injured players who would be better in any position
    I reckon Stanley is underated. He is a strong defender and in attack times his pass with precision. Deserves his place in the starting line-up, in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Talisman7 View Post
    I reckon Stanley is underated. He is a strong defender and in attack times his pass with precision. Deserves his place in the starting line-up, in my opinion.
    I still think he's too slow, but having seen Hayward replace him in one of the matches this year, Winston looked the better option, Hayward seemed to be trying too hard and made too many errors. I'll take solid over sketchy any day

C'mon the

vCash
    We got this