Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ebersohn brings Wilkinson magic to Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Ebersohn brings Wilkinson magic to Force

Justin Chadwick,
    AAP
    March 8, 2013, 11:46 am

After spending years idolising England great Jonny Wilkinson, Western Force recruit Sias Ebersohn is ready to make his own mark in rugby ranks.

Like Wilkinson, Ebersohn's kicking game is his greatest strength, with the South African's knack of nailing drop goals and long-range penalties on display in last week's 36-26 loss to the Bulls.

In that match, Ebersohn scored 16 points on six-of-seven kicking to almost inspire a huge upset.

It was in stark contrast to the opening two rounds of the season, when Sam Christie and Kyle Godwin struggled badly with the boot.

But Ebersohn wants to be known for more than just his kicking game, and says he needs to look no further than Wilkinson for inspiration.

"He can do anything," Ebersohn said of Wilkinson, who lifted England to World Cup glory in 2003 with a last-gasp drop goal against Australia.

"He can tackle, kick, pass, and he's a good communicator.

"Some other guys are good in defence, but not as good in attack.

"Or they're good in attack, but not a good goalkicker.

"But for me as a young kid growing up, he was the whole package.

"Maybe he'll make the Lions tour and I'll be fortunate enough to play him in their warm-up game against the Force. That would be perfect."

Ebersohn, who notched 30 caps for the Cheetahs over three seasons, was lured to the Force on a two-year deal as one of the club's foreign developing players.

But the talented five-eighth had second thoughts about the move when he was overlooked for a starting role in favour of Christie during the opening two rounds of the season.

"I felt, 'Did I make the right choice? Why did I come here?' All those types of questions pop into your head," Ebersohn said.

"But hopefully my performance last weekend will be good enough to give me another start."

The winless Force sit in 14th place on the table ahead of next week's clash with Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.

But if Ebersohn's boot remains in hot form, the Force will fancy their chances against anyone in the competition.

The 24-year-old nailed two drop goals against the Bulls, and said he wasn't afraid to kick on goal in open play.

"It's not a first option, but it's just nice to have that as a weapon." he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...agic-to-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Awwww, bless

If he turns out to be even half the player (and man) that Jonny is, I'll be one happy little sandgroper! Lol :-D

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    He needs a bit more time in a solarium or a rub on tan......and Giteau's hair dresser

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    Posted this earlier http://youtu.be/YmQ8A1lGv_E From this display, he's heading in the right direction.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Posted this earlier http://youtu.be/YmQ8A1lGv_E From this display, he's heading in the right direction.
    Sias was fantastic in this game. Reckon he will set this season alight.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    Sias was fantastic in this game. Reckon he will set this season alight.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Agree with you there Mr Beard. Trouble is he needs to have a lot more games playing that good. More consistency. He needs to attack the line on a lot more than he does aswell.

I think he's also out best kicker by far. Don't know why Hayward has the duties ahead of Sias.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Think I saw somewhere that a few of them are getting kicking coaching from Bramm Van Stratten (apologies for incorrect spelling!). I think he is the one JOC got training from while he was with the Force. Think he's a bit of a kicking guru!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    Agree with you there Mr Beard. Trouble is he needs to have a lot more games playing that good. More consistency. He needs to attack the line on a lot more than he does aswell.

I think he's also out best kicker by far. Don't know why Hayward has the duties ahead of Sias.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think it will happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I've been thinking about this, maybe it's so that he can concentrate on doing the main job, which was being a creative, attacking flyhalf, rather than sitting in the pocket and deciding whether to kick or shuffle it to somebody else (and often doing that badly)

C'mon the

vCash
    He is a confidence player and can be a bit fragile at times. Until he can bring his whole game together lets keep using our current kicker who has been doing petty well.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I think hell struggle to get his ass of the bench once Zach Holmes sees some decent game time.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    It will be a good competition for the 10 spot this year, but it's Sias for me. (But also a good option at 15- taking nothing away from Hayward, who was a solid option at fullback) The extra time he has now had getting to know Kyle may set this season alight. The back line now has the man power and depth to support the huge work that the forwards have put.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    It would be welcome to see a quality player like Zach sitting on the bench. I wouldn't complain if that was the case.

C'mon the

vCash
    http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby...ry/225295.html

Cheetahs looking to re-sign Sias EbersohnESPN Staff
    May 14, 2014
    Sias Ebersohn signed a two-year deal with Western Force in 2012 © Getty Images Enlarge
    The Cheetahs want to re-sign Sias Ebersohn, the Bloemfontein native in career-best form with Western Force, Volksblad reports in South Africa.

Ebersohn left the Cheetahs for Perth after the 2012 Super Rugby season, having won 31 caps, because he was second-elect playmaker behind Johan Goosen and because of a public falling-out with coach Naka Drotske. Goosen, however, has remained injury-prone and is now reported in South Africa to be verging on completing a deal to join French Top 14 semi-finalists Racing Metro.

Ebersohn kicked three penalties and two penalties for the Force in their weekend 23-16 victory against the Cheetahs, for whom Goosen slotted three penalties and a conversion.

"Goosen has been eyeing a move since early in the season, and is likely to sign for French club Racing Metro in the next few days," Supersport reported. "The Bok went to France earlier in the season during a bye week for the Cheetahs and visited both Racing and Toulon. [He] has also been in talks with the Stormers, although this is the least likely option on his plate."

The Volksblad newspaper, meanwhile, reported that Rian Smit is also set to leave the Cheetahs for Europe, leaving the Bloemfontein-based franchise with just Elgar Watts as a recognised fly-half and prompting the reported interest in luring Ebersohn home.

Goosen's agent, Anthony Johnson, told Supersport: "We have discussed Johan with the various interested parties as well as the Springbok management team. We will most likely finalise Johan's future in the next few days."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby...2HRGEle8pwQ.99

vCash
    Cheeky buggers.. they didn't want him before... tell them to to S** off.. and leave Sias alone..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast