Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NSW Waratahs in danger of mass exodus

Senior Player
    vCash

NSW Waratahs in danger of mass exodus

THE Waratahs are facing one of the greatest retention battles of any team in world sport because 80 per cent of their frontline roster is off contract at the end of the season.

With most of those players also on ARU top-ups due to their status as Wallabies, coach Michael Cheika has an enormous task to negotiate with the separate parties to keep the bulk of his team together beyond this year.

Just six of the Waratahs' 30-man squad are contracted beyond this year, while the four Extended Playing Squad members, including star Ben Volavola, are also free agents.

Injured hooker Damien Fitzpatrick, ruled out for the year and replaced by lock Mitchell Chapman, is also off contract, bringing the total of off-contract players to 29 of 35.

Not only has Cheika been dealt a nightmare situation by the previous coaching regimes that negotiated the contracts, he is also hamstrung by the dual-contracting process of the ARU, which means he must estimate roughly how much each player will be offered by the national ruling body and table his offers accordingly.

Nevertheless, an upbeat Cheika said: "We've got some good retention stuff happening, a few balls in the air still because we're still waiting for some ARU top-up decisions to be made. But we're on the way.

"I don't know if we'd be announcing stuff too early, we'll just start playing for a while, get some deals done and then announce something when we have a break perhaps.

"Anything we do, we might look to announce during the bye week (April 13). I am attending to every question that's been asked of me about retention or recruitment.

"Most of the guys we're talking about are on ARU top-ups. I want to sort them out quickly too. I don't want to be waiting until the end of the season. I know all the guys I want to sign.

"Just because (agents) want me to sign players - they might want me to pay $500,000 for them. Maybe I don't want to pay $500,000."

Already stars Berrick Barnes and Wycliff Palu have been linked with moves to Japan, while speculation is rife that Kurtley Beale will return to NSW next season.

"I'm about retention first. I can't recruit anyone until I know who I'm keeping," Cheika said.

"Berrick I'm not sure about, Cliff I'm not sure about. In that (five-eighth) position especially, with Berrick, I don't know whether he will get a release, whether he will definitely be going, so until then it's hard to do anything around that position.

"I know there will always be speculation around good players like Beale, but until I know what my retention picture is, it's hard for me to do anything."

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said recently that players looking to have an overseas sabbatical next year and return to Australia for the 2015 World Cup would be considered as individual cases.

"It's probably premature for me to be too definitive on that issue," Pulver said.

"Clearly that is a major priority for us.

"I place enormous value on the possibility of wearing an Australian jersey, that is right at the top of the tree in my considerations for discussions with players, and frankly they do too.

"We will be looking at every issue on its merits."

THE TA TA TAHS

1 Adam Ashley-Cooper - off contract

2 Ollie Atkins - off contract

3 Berrick Barnes - off contract

4 Peter Betham - off contract

5 Tom Carter - off contract

6 Cam Crawford - contracted

7 Dave Dennis - contracted

8 Kane Douglas - off contract

9 Damien Fitzpatrick - off contract

10 Bernard Foley - off contract

11 Grayson Hart - off contract

12 Michael Hodge - contracted

13 Michael Hooper - contracted

14 Rob Horne - off contract

15 Sekope Kepu - off contract

16 Tom Kingston - off contract

17 Pat McCutcheon - contracted

18 Brendan McKibbin - off contract

19 Drew Mitchell - off contract

20 Wycliff Palu - off contract

21 Greg Peterson - off contract

22 Tatafu Polota-Nau - off contract

23 Benn Robinson - off contract

24 Paddy Ryan - contracted

25 Jeremy Tilse - off contract

26 Lopeti Timani - off contract

27 Sitaleki Timani - off contract

28 Lachie Turner - off contract

29 John Ulugia - off contract

30 Israel Folau - off contract

31 Mitch Chapman (replacement for the injured Fitzpatrick) - off contract

EXTENDED PLAYER SQUAD

Jed Holloway - off contract

Luke Holmes - off contract

Sam Lane - released

Matt Lucas - off contract

Ben Volavola - off contract

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Gee that Ben Volavola would be a good pick up for any club in Australia every time he gets the ball it looks like something is on...

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    Most of them who need to be contracted are contracted , at least 10 will be shown the door, Non story!

vCash
    Well. Tom carter is going to stay there. Nobody else would sign that little prick...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    volavola would be my pick of that bunch too. heis really dynamic in attack and looked very safe at the back in defence as well.

vCash
    We need to be careful how we treat this news.

In a way it always great to hear that the Tahs are in strife, however, that said, this does not bode well for us and the Rebels (Being the "weaker" franchises)

What is means is that the Tahs are likley only to retain the better stocks, and open the door to swallow in the next batch of youngsters with potential setting us all back another few years.

The only positive is with Chris Webb now GM we may sneak a player or two with experience to help us, if they are not looking for a chnage of "culture" and going overseas.

Again not sure if I should see this as good or bad news article. What do you all think

Ps My choice Tom Kingston

Last edited by Tazzmania; 05-03-13 at 09:15. Reason: adding a bit
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well players are signed up for two or three years so it's not unexpected that they are all off contract at the same time I expect the majority of that side to re sign with the tahs just saw it in the sunday times on line and thought it would be an interesting discussion piece

vCash
    Peter Betham and Tom Kingston should be on our radar.

Last edited by GAFFA; 05-03-13 at 09:39.
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I just had alook at our own list and the below names are the ones coming to the end of their contract in 2013. I put a couple of notes of what has been said in media and on here. The List doesnt include the 5 EPS contract which are all 1 year deals.

1. Pat Dellit
    2. Matt Hodgson
    3. Toby Lynn
    4. Salesi Ma'afu Gone
    5. Alfie Mafi Rumour on the Move
    6. Lachlan McCaffrey
    7. Brett Sheehan maybe last year
    8. Winston Stanley
    9. Will Tupou
    10. Ben Whittaker
    11. Sam Wykes
    12. Hugh McMeniman Being chased heavily
    13. Jayden Hayward

Last edited by GAFFA; 05-03-13 at 12:46.
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I think our team will look very different again next year.

Senior Player
    vCash
    One of our props has already signed to play for Northampton next season so we will need to replace him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    One of our props has already signed to play for Northampton next season so we will need to replace him
    Manu will be a straight swap from the EPS. They you would think that Ollie the young wa prop will get the EPS spot.

vCash
    McCalman thankfully already signed to 2015

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    I'm not sure that he did Tazz - I think he only signed to end of this year??

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I'm not sure that he did Tazz - I think he only signed to end of this year??
    You are correct Taz

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=3...light=mccalman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast