Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Stronger Force Edged Out by Bulls

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

A Stronger Force Edged Out by Bulls

The new-look Emirates Western Force has taken another promising step forward, pushing the Bulls in their 36-26 loss at Loftus Versfeld tonight.

Playing in their 100th Super Rugby appearance, the Emirates Western Force showed tremendous character in taking the match to their more-fancied opponents, and held the lead for a large portion of the second half before forfeiting the scoreboard advantage in the final eight minutes of the match.

The result remained in the balance up until the final whistle until Bulls prop Werner Kruger dived over from short range after the siren to deny the Force a losing bonus point.

The Force’s performance was a far cry from last week’s 22-10 loss to the Kings, with the Western Australians showing improvement in defence, lineout and kicking to build pressure and maintain momentum for large periods of the match.

The visitors were well served by flyhalf Sias Ebersohn, who continued to build scoreboard pressure with an accomplished goal-kicking display that featured two conversions, two penalties and two drop goals for a personal haul of 16 points.

The Force was on the back foot early when Bulls flyhalf Morne Steyn sliced through the defensive line from first receiver in the second minute to touch down in the corner.

The remainder of the scoring in the first half was left to the respective side’s goal kickers with Ebersohn landing two long-range attempts – one from 60 metres – to have his side trailing 14-9 at the break.

The Force drew first blood in the second term when Ebersohn added his second drop goal in the 42nd minute, however, the response was swift from the Bulls with winger Sampie Mastriet sneaking down the right flank to score.

Flanker Angus Cottrell then provided Ebersohn with the easiest of conversions to lock up the scores at 19-all after he intercepted a Steyn cut-out pass for an uninterrupted 50-metre run to the line for his maiden Super Rugby try.

The Force then claimed a 26-19 lead at the 57-minute mark when lock Toby Lynn burrowed over for a try in his 50th Super Rugby appearance. The try came on the back of a chip-and-regather from hooker Nathan Charles and several bullocking runs from replacement flanker Chris Alcock, with Lynn on hand to finish off the attacking raid.

Steyn added his fourth penalty attempt to bring his side to within four points, before replacement Jean Cook finished off a long-range rolling maul to take back a 29-26 lead for his side with eight minutes remaining.

While both sides had opportunities to play inside their attacking halves in the final minutes, it was the Bulls that extended their lead after the final siren to take the 10-point win.

The Emirates Western Force will return home to a bye before travelling to Brisbane to tackle the Reds on Saturday, 16 March.

2013 Super Rugby – Week 3
    Saturday, 2 March 2013 at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    Kick-off: 5.05pm (local)/11.05pm (AWST)

Bulls 36 (Morne Steyn, Sampie Mastriet, Jean Cook, Werner Kruger tries; Morne Steyn 2/4 conversions, 4/4 penalty goals) defeated Emirates Western Force 26 (Angus Cottrell, Toby Lynn tries; Sias Ebersohn 2/2 conversion, 2/2 penalty goals, 2/3 drop goals)
    Emirates Western Force
    1. Pek Cowan, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Salesi Ma’afu, 4. Toby Lynn, 5. Hugh McMeniman, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. Matt Hodgson (c), 8. Richard Brown, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Alfie Mafi, 12. Kyle Godwin, 13. Winston Stanley, 14. Nick Cummins, 15. Will Tupou. Res: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Tetera Faulkner, 18. Sam Wykes, 19. Ben McCalman, 20. Chris Alcock, 21. Mick Snowden, 22. Jayden Hayward.
    Coach: Michael Foley

Bulls
    1. Morne Mellett, 2. Chiliboy Ralepelle, 3. Werner Kruger, 4. Flip van der Merwe, 5. Juandre Kruger, 6. Jacques Potgieter, 7. Arno Botha, 8. Pierre Spies (c), 9. Francois Hougaard, 10. Morne Steyn, 11. Bjorn Basson, 12. Wynand Olivier, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 14. Sampie Mastriet, 15. Zane Kirchner. Res: 16. Willie Wepener, 17. Frik Kirsten, 18. Grant Hattingh,19. Jean Cook, 20. Jano Vermaak, 21. Louis Fouche, 22. Jan Serfontein.
    Coach: Frans Ludeke

Yellow Cards: Nil
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Jason Jaftha
    Crowd: Not announced

By the Clock

Min Details Score
    2 Morne Steyn Try 5-0
    3 Morne Steyn Missed Con 5-0
    10 Sias Ebersohn Drop Goal 5-3
    15 Sias Ebersohn Missed DG 5-3
    18 Morne Steyn Penalty Goal 8-3
    27 Sias Ebersohn Penalty Goal 8-6
    30 Sias Ebersohn Penalty Goal 9-8
    34 Morne Steyn Penalty Goal 11-9
    40 Morne Steyn Penalty Goal 14-9
    42 Sias Ebersohn Drop Goal 14-12
    43 Sampie Mastriet Try 19-12
    45 Morne Steyn Missed Con 19-12
    47 Angus Cottrell Try 19-17
    48 Sias Ebersohn Conversion 19-19
    57 Toby Lynn Try 24-19
    57 Sias Ebersohn Conversion 26-19
    69 Morne Steyn Penalty Goal 26-22
    72 Jean Cook Try 27-26
    73 Morne Steyn Conversion 29-26
    80 Werner Kruger Try 34-26
    80 Morne Steyn Conversion 36-26

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    so - compared to last week? did they make a game of it?

Champion
    vCash
    Jono - Really we lost by 3.. and dodgy ref calls.

* - How you can have a penalty advantage called back after 5 phases (on 1 occasion) and 2 minutes (on another) is beyond me.

* - Hayward was NOT held in that tackle where we were on the charge forward with less than 10 minutes to go.

* - Force were penalised again for not using the ball at the back of the maul, on three occasions the Bulls were in the same situation but NOTHING, and to make this worst 1 of their trys came of it.

* - Chilly "drug" Boy was penalised twice for NO arms, but stayed on. We came in the side twice and heard the Ref saying next one goes to the bin.

ALL I WAS AFTER WAS A CONSISTENT REF'ING GAME. What I saw was 22 Force squad players putting in a good effort against 16 Bulls Players on the field.

Good efforts and I was proud of the boys !!

Champion
    vCash
    Can someone also tell me why we got penalised in the last minute Scrum when we had the feed and the ball came out to our #8 ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    so - compared to last week? did they make a game of it?
    I watched the game and yes they did make a game of it every player did his part...

The bulls played typical hard SA rugby... Big hits shoulder chargers ... and even the scrum held up against the springbok loaded scrum...

Foley played the bench well and the run ons lifted the game

Pity about the last 30 secs which I did not see as i turned the TV thinking the scrum would poack and we would kick it out to find it was a try to them Bugger ..... should know by now rugby is an 80 minute game lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Jono - Really we lost by 3.. and dodgy ref calls.

* - How you can have a penalty advantage called back after 5 phases (on 1 occasion) and 2 minutes (on another) is beyond me.

* - Hayward was NOT held in that tackle where we were on the charge forward with less than 10 minutes to go.

* - Force were penalised again for not using the ball at the back of the maul, on three occasions the Bulls were in the same situation but NOTHING, and to make this worst 1 of their trys came of it.

* - Chilly "drug" Boy was penalised twice for NO arms, but stayed on. We came in the side twice and heard the Ref saying next one goes to the bin.

ALL I WAS AFTER WAS A CONSISTENT REF'ING GAME. What I saw was 22 Force squad players putting in a good effort against 16 Bulls Players on the field.

Good efforts and I was proud of the boys !!
    sorry Benny but i'm over hearing about how we lost games because of the ref.
    if the ref was shit or had a shocker. great teams know how to adapt. and get over it without letting the momentum slip.

not fussed even if it was a monumental fuck up on his part. that excuse doesn't hold water anymore.

dominant teams generally get the 50/50 calls. so we need to become one for things to go in our favor. otherwise we are all going to keep going down the same path.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Can someone also tell me why we got penalised in the last minute Scrum when we had the feed and the ball came out to our #8 ?
    it was a freekick,perhaps for an incorrect feed--but not sure

vCash
    Didn't see the game, but reading up it looks like the kicking issue is well and truly sorted when Sias is playing.

But, how were the other aspects of him game?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    great teams know how to adapt. and get over it without letting the momentum slip.

not fussed even if it was a monumental fuck up on his part. that excuse doesn't hold water anymore.

dominant teams generally get the 50/50 calls. so we need to become one for things to go in our favor. otherwise we are all going to keep going down the same path.
    Force -v- Crusaders 2006 Disallowed Try by TMO ?

but I get what you're saying ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Force -v- Crusaders 2006 Disallowed Try by TMO ?

but I get what you're saying ...

yeah good point. that decision cost us the game, but overall we've gotta win these things ourselves regardless of the ref.

Champion
    vCash
    if the ref was shit or had a shocker. great teams know how to adapt. and get over it without letting the momentum slip.

How about watching a replay and then tell me that I not blowing wind up the Ass of us TWF members and Western Force players, with the comments I've made.

All these decisions were turning points, and it still mind bogles me that we are in a Tri Nations competition but we continue to have home based referees, why cant we have nutural refs that dont turn games being one eyed or whistle happy.

vCash
    Good kicking and defence. We're improving. Good job boys.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Pleased to see the boys put in an improved performance lets start getting some wins on the board lads and give the faithful something to cheer about

vCash
    Pleased with Sias' kicking last night. Force showed some promising plays. This has definitely given me new hope.
    If we had this starting lineup 3 weeks ago, the Super Rugby Ladder could have looked quite different for the Force.

Senior Player
    vCash
    In fairness to Benny, all the calls in the last 10 min were dodgy. The sealing off penalty against us was shite, the incorrect feed was happening in every game of every round. Cost us momentum.

Is a short arm penalty after the siren play on? Someone enlighten me....

Bring back neutral refs.

Superb performance by the boys though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast