• England comfortably (8-14)

0 0%
  • England by a blowout (15+)

0 0%

Thread: Australia v England 2

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Australia v England 2

Qantas Wallabies Coach John Connolly has today named his team for Saturday night’s 2nd Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series Test against England at Melbourne’s Telstra Dome.

Connolly has made three changes to his starting lineup after last Sunday’s 34-3 victory at Telstra Stadium, with the winner of Saturday’s Test to receive the Cook Cup.

Stirling Mortlock will become the 73rd player to captain the Qantas Wallabies with regular skipper George Gregan named on the reserve bench.

Gregan will occupy a place on the reserve bench for the first time since 1996, while resurgent Reds scrumhalf Sam Cordingley will resurrect his Test career after a six-year hiatus.

Cordingley last represented the Wallabies in a three-point loss to England at Twickenham in 2000.

While it will be a significant match for Cordingley, 13-year Test veteran Gregan is in line to raise another career milestone.

If he takes the field on Saturday night, the 33-year-old will become the most capped international player in the history of the game, breaking Jason Leonard’s record of 119 Test appearances for England and the British and Irish Lions.

Waratahs hooker Adam Freier has been called in from outside the 22 from the Wallabies’ opening Test victory in Sydney last weekend and will start his first Test at hooker since his debut season of 2002.

Connolly has made one further change to his starting pack, selecting 114kg lock Mark Chisholm at blindside flanker to replace Daniel Heenan, who is being rested with a minor shoulder injury.

With Chisholm moving into the Wallaby Number 6 jersey for the first time in his career, Waratahs flanker Wycliff Palu earns his first selection in a Wallaby 22 on the reserves bench.

Connolly said player management was important.

“It was always our goal to broaden our player base leading up to the World Cup,” he said.

“The load has increased on players with the expanded Super 14 season and a longer Test program so it’s matter of managing players as well as exposing more of the squad to this level,” he said.

Notes

* Stirling Mortlock will captain the Qantas Wallabies for the first time and make his 43rd overall Test appearance.
    * Adam Freier’s last starting team appearance for the Qantas Wallabies was against Italy on the 2002 Spring Tour.
    * Mark Chisholm has not started a Super 14 or Test match at blindside flanker.

2006 Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series

Match: Australia v England

Venue: Telstra Dome, Melbourne, Australia

Date: Saturday 17 June 2006

Kick Off: 8.00pm AEST

Referee: Steve Walsh (NZ)

Qantas Wallabies:

1. Greg Holmes
    2. Adam Freier
    3. Rodney Blake
    4. Nathan Sharpe
    5. Dan Vickerman (vc)
    6. Mark Chisholm
    7. George Smith
    8. Rocky Elsom
    9. Sam Cordingley
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Mat Rogers
    13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
    14. Mark Gerrard
    15. Chris Latham

16. Jeremy Paul
    17. Al Baxter
    18. Wycliff Palu *22
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. George Gregan
    21. Clyde Rathbone
    22. Cameron Shepherd

Coach: John Connolly

Key: *22 First time selected in a Wallaby 22

Unavailable for selection due to injury: Matt Giteau, Daniel Heenan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't really rate Freier but at least we will see him against different opposition to judge.
    I like the fact that Knuckles is keeping the same Prop pairing to allow them more time to settle. Holmes could have been an easy target having been singled out by the Ref, some would say unfairly. As they showed good fitness last week, I would have perhaps brought in someone else instead of Baxter on the bench to give them a taste as well. Baxter offered nothing extra last week and justified the dropping from the XV.
    Seems strange to have Gregan on the bench, appears to me as hedging your bets a bit, a get out of jail card.
    I'm sure Cordingley will give a strong showing however, perhaps he isn't fully fit to run out 60 minutes to give Valentine another run?
    Also a pretty crappy way to bring up your World Record match appearance!
    I was a little dissapointed with Rogers' game at #12 last week too, even factoring the new position etc. He displayed great skills for a Fullback but didn't look to offload (or when crashing up, to present the ball for the ruck). Hopefully has had plenty of extra tuition during the week. I don't think Gits has much to worry about there.
    Great to see Rocky able to back up as there were thoughts he was too burnt out, he was awesome in Game 1 I thought. Chisholm to Blindside is another interesting one and means that two of Sharpe, Vickerman and Chisholm will need to play out the match.
    Great to see Palu getting a shot too, there should be some very nervous English backs come 60 minutes on Saturday night!
    Palu and Blake running at you side by side!!! How sweet it is
    Would be great if Rathbone and Shepherd get the opportunity to have a bit longer this week too and perhaps Shepherd can press for a start next weekend at home.
    All in all I don't rate this as our true XV at this stage but great to see a few getting a run and few quesions will be asked and hopefully answered come Saturday night.

Last edited by Burgs; 14-06-06 at 10:58.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I was a little dissapointed with Rogers' game at #12 last week too, even factoring the new position etc.
    Me too. I thought Spanner might have got a shot. He may yet challenge Rogers for the utility spot, I reckon.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe Knuckles is waiting to roll out the Force players at Subiaco shasta?
    McIsaac, Sharpe, Fava, Giteau, Staniforth and Shepherd all in the XV?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Now would that not be something extra special?

vCash
    Be nice, but I can't see Connolly giving "promotional" selections any thought - not while crowds are good anyway.

Speaking of which any word on how the ticket sales are looking?

vCash
    Can Spanner Kick? I think that that might be the reason he is not seen as an inside centre by Connolly