Thread: 2013 WA STATE SCHOOLBOY TRIALS

vCash

2013 WA STATE SCHOOLBOY TRIALS

It’s that time again

2013 W.A STATE SCHOOLBOY REGISTRATION FORM & TRIAL DATES:

Trial 1 – Sun 5th May 9:00am - 11:00am University RFC, McGillivray, Mt Claremont

Trial 2 - Wed 8th May 5:00pm - 7:00pm University RFC, McGillivray, Mt Claremont

Trial 3 - Invitation Only

Championships are the 30 June - 6 July 2013 and being played at St Ignatius' College, Riverview, Sydney NSW.

Side note:

It’s very interesting that Western Australia is again dis-advantaged by the Eastern States ASRU not allowing our boy’s to play SBs if they have completed year 12, even if they’ve gone on to Uni, Tafe or Trade and still only 17 year of age as opposed to the eastern states players who finish school the year they turn 18.

You would think exception would be made for W.A for the sake of development – however it’s W.A getting screwed by another Horse & Cart Rule from over East.

I would like to Know if Rugby WA and there new stance of “W.A Rugby First” are going to lobby ASRU for last’s years boys who were 16 & 17 years of age but were in “W.A YEAR 12” and finished school to be eligible for State duties.

The ARU need to step in and make it an U18s National Championship and stop making it so easy for the mungo’s .

If anyone’s interested I’ve pasted in ASRU Player Eligibility criteria below.

Player Eligibility:

1. This policy applies to eligibility for representative teams of the ASRU and for teams from states and territories participating in ASRU Championships.

2. A player must be Under 18 on the first of January of the current year. That is a player who turns 19 or older in the current year is not eligible.

3. The Term State in this policy includes all States and Territories of the Commonwealth.

4. When the term eligibility is used in this policy it covers both eligibility by age and by schooling.

5. A Secondary school is a school that is registered and/or accredited by the State Department of Education, or the appropriate agency of the Department

6. A student who is in full time attendance at a secondary school and is undertaking a course leading to the appropriate school based Year 12 exit credential (e.g. HSC, VCE, etc..) is eligible.

7. A student who is engaged in home schooling is eligible if he is registered with the State Department of Education and is undertaking a full time course leading to a Year 12 exit credential.

8. A student who is repeating a year and who otherwise fulfils the above requirements is eligible.

9. A student who is doing a pathways course (e.g. as in NSW) and who is still in full time attendance at a secondary school and who otherwise fulfils the above requirements is eligible.

10. A student is in full time attendance as so defined by the school or the state department. This would not preclude him having work experience or part time employment outside school hours. However his attendance at school must constitute the significantly largest part of his school hours.

11. An equivalence to attendance at secondary school occurs when he is undertaking a full time course that is leading to an appropriate exit credential for Year 12—or the equivalent of that credential.(see point 6 above)

This could occur where a student undertakes a full time TAFE, or similar, Year 11 and 12 courses that fulfil the above requirements.

12. A student who has completed Year 12 and then undertakes another course which is not leading to the appropriate Year 12 exit credential( see point 6 above) is not considered to be undertaking an equivalent course. This applies to tertiary, TAFE or other courses e.g. those offered by a private provider.

13. Where a student has completed Year 12 and is not repeating to attempt the Year 12 exit credential course again, he is not eligible.

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/d....asp?id=138193

Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    While this sucks now, won't it be solved next year or the one after when the half cohort goes through?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Thanks for the update on the state school boy trials No doubt exciting times for the players and parents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    While this sucks now, won't it be solved next year or the one after when the half cohort goes through?
    Are you referring to year 7s becoming the first year of HS in 2014? I don't think that'll give W.A an extra school year like they have over east, so won't make any difference but pls correct me if I’m wrong.

This age group is the heart beat of Aust. Rugby and until we become consistently competitive in SBs, we will just be a gold rich state that purchased a Super Franchise with a few ex-pats running around (We all know this is not the case)

It would be good to see the likes of KKs son having another crack at fly half for SBs; a matter of fact the entire 2012 SBs team are age eligible to play this year just not schooling eligible because it's run by the ASRU not the ARU.

***Come on WA Rugby, Get Stuck into ASRU***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Thanks for the update on the state school boy trials No doubt exciting times for the players and parents.
    That it is - Personally I look forward to SB selections just as much as Wallaby selections in this professional age of Rugby......and the more from W.A the better.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Are you referring to year 7s becoming the first year of HS in 2014? I don't think that'll give W.A an extra school year like they have over east, so won't make any difference but pls correct me if I’m wrong.
    No not that.

In the school system in all of WA there are currently a school year of Year 11s who are born in the January - June of 1997. That is the half cohort. Students born between July 1997 and June 1998 are all in Year 10. When that July 1997 to June 1998 group get to Year 12 half of them will be 18 in the year they finish year 12. The other half will be 17.5.

To align WA's school system more with the Eastern States the Department of Education has increased the age of our students in each year group by half a year. This extra 6 months of development would likely make WA Schoolboys teams more competitive.

For those interested, Pre-Primary has also become compulsary to account for the older Year 1s.

vCash
    Yes, those boys are in year 11 this year, so the problem will be solved next year.

C'mon the

vCash
    For those interested, Pre-Primary has also become compulsary to account for the older Year 1s.
    That is correct, bringing WA almost perfectly in line with the Victorian system (I think the same as NSW and not too different from Qld)

C'mon the

vCash
    Aaarrgh yes yes......The other half (A teacher) explained it to me, apparently she’s made me aware of this several times in the past. I've informed her I would’ve understood if she explained it in a Rugby scenario.

My kids are born in May/June so now I understand why they are very much the youngest in their classes.

Well this is great news for the future of W.A SBs. I would also like to think Rugby WA had pressured the ASRU in the past in an attempt to get our lads on the pitch.

Get down there in May, we'll see if there are any future Goodwins running round for potentional EPS spots.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I always thought that Justin Turner repped through Central TAFE.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    No Biggie, James.

Wanneroo boys rep through Borstal.

Makes it hard for away games but.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Aaarrgh yes yes......The other half (A teacher) explained it to me, apparently she’s made me aware of this several times in the past. I've informed her I would’ve understood if she explained it in a Rugby scenario.

My kids are born in May/June so now I understand why they are very much the youngest in their classes.

Well this is great news for the future of W.A SBs. I would also like to think Rugby WA had pressured the ASRU in the past in an attempt to get our lads on the pitch.

Get down there in May, we'll see if there are any future Goodwins running round for potentional EPS spots.
    Lord Ted hopefully.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    Lord Ted hopefully.
    No Mungos. Dead set.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David