Thread: Kahui to leave NZ rugby for Japan

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Kahui to leave NZ rugby for Japan

AAP
    Updated February 14, 2013, 5:33 am

Richard Kahui's relentless battles with injury have prompted the classy centre to leave New Zealand rugby and play in Japan.

The 17-Test All Black has signed on for two seasons at the Toshiba club, which he will begin in August after seeing out the Chiefs' Super Rugby campaign.

The 27-year-old has battled a variety of injuries since making his Test debut against England in 2008, mainly to his shoulders. Further shoulder surgery last week has impacted on his pre-season duties and may result in him missing the Chiefs' opening match next week against the Highlanders.

"I love being a Chief, but it is no secret that I have had my fair share of injuries which have forced me to make some very hard decisions about my future and make the most of the opportunities while I can," Kahui said.

"I have been honoured to play for my country, franchise and province and I have not taken lightly the decision to leave that behind.

"With my New Zealand contract expiring, Toshiba presented me with an exceptional offer. I have consulted family and friends and have come to the conclusion that at this stage of my career it is the right move."

Tokoroa-born Kahui scored 10 Test tries and, when fit, provided a strong challenge to Conrad Smith to the starting centre berth.

He was versatile enough to play on the left wing for much of the All Blacks' triumphant 2011 World Cup campaign.

Chiefs coach Dave Rennie said Kahui had been an "outstanding" figure, even while he was off the field for much of last year's championship-winning campaign.

"I have been really impressed with him as a man, as a player and as a leader within our group," Rennie said.
    "He has an opportunity to set himself up for his future and we are fully supportive of what he is doing and hope to get him back for 2015."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...gby-for-japan/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Crying shame that Kahui (one of my favourite players) is off to Japan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!