Thread: Cliff Palu wants early release from contract to accept an offer from Japan

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cliff Palu wants early release from contract to accept an offer from Japan

Cliff Palu wants early release from contract to accept an offer from Japan

NSW powerhouse Wycliff Palu is believed to have agreed to terms with a Japanese club. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

WALLABIES No 8 Wycliff Palu is seeking a sabbatical in Japan with a view to returning to Australia in time to play in the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England.

It is understood Palu has agreed to terms with a Japanese club and has sought an early release from his contract so he can leave after the British and Irish Lions series ends in July.
    An informed source told The Australian yesterday that if Palu secured the release, he would look to come back to Australia for next year's Super Rugby competition.
    If not, his future in Australian rugby would be uncertain.
    Palu was not giving anything away when asked about his future yesterday.
    "I just want to play a few more games of Super Rugby and make a call after that," he said. "See how the body is and go from there."
    While the ARU has never been keen on granting sabbaticals to players, New Zealand has been able to retain key players such as Dan Carter by allowing them to have stints overseas in between world cups.

After two injury-disrupted years, Palu recaptured his best form towards the end of last season and is still an important player for the Wallabies.
    Palu was looking forward to this year's Super Rugby campaign with the NSW Waratahs after enjoying one of his most productive pre-seasons in recent years.
    "This has been my first pre-season in a while where I have been able to do most of the things," he said.
    "It has put my body in good condition. The last couple of years I battled injury and stuff. My pre-season was limited."
    Palu will make his first appearance of the year in the Waratahs' final trial against the Crusaders in Sydney tomorrow night, matching up with All Blacks No 8 Kieran Read.
    "The last couple of years we had a few easier trials," Palu said. "It's good to have some quality opposition. This should be a good test for us and it will be good to see where we are at."
    The Waratahs will be without several big-name backs, including inside back Berrick Barnes, centre Rob Horne and five-eighth Bernard Foley, while winger Drew Mitchell is in doubt.
    Horne will be sidelined for four to six weeks with a hamstring injury, while Barnes (knee) and Foley (ankle) may be available for the Waratahs' opening game of the season against the Queensland Reds in Brisbane on Saturday week.
    Mitchell has a minor calf injury. While he may miss the Crusaders trial, he is expected to be fit for the Reds.
    "Berrick has had a good rate of improvement since we saw him last," coach Michael Cheika said. "Doubtful for round one before. Now I'd say there's a 50-50 chance. Same with Foley. Horne will be out for four to six weeks.
    "Drew's injury is real tiny. He could play. It's a matter of whether we want him to play or rest him for Queensland."
    The absence of Foley and Barnes means rookie five-eighth Ben Volavola will start at five-eighth against the Crusaders and possibly the opening rounds of the season.
    "Ben Volavola is going to get a good chance on Thursday night to take the lead in the race for that No 10 jersey," Cheika said.
    "He is a very naturally instinctive player. He is still getting his head around being the main playmaker. He's only very young. He is only a few months into the program as a professional player."
    Cheika said it would be great experience for Volavola if he played against Carter tomorrow night.
    But Cheika is also looking at bringing former Waratahs, Force and Rebels five-eighth James Hilgendorf out of retirement to provide back-up for Volavola.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226576575668

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The rot has set in early at the Tahds this year

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Let him go.
    We have better.

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Wants his cake and eat it too tell him to go and chase the Yen and if he does come back to play super15 he can but won't be considered for Wallaby selection. I only speak for myself but I want to know that the Australian players in the Super15 are all going to bust a gut to try and win the game and also knowing that playing well week in week out will allow them to be considered for the greatest honour an Australian can get in the greatest game in the world the Gold Wallaby jumper.

If they don't want to buy into that ethos and mentality then good riddance I say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The rot has set in early at the Tahds this year
    The phrase you're looking for is "Business as usual"
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Wants his cake and eat it too tell him to go and chase the Yen and if he does come back to play super15 he can but won't be considered for Wallaby selection. I only speak for myself but I want to know that the Australian players in the Super15 are all going to bust a gut to try and win the game and also knowing that playing well week in week out will allow them to be considered for the greatest honour an Australian can get in the greatest game in the world the Gold Wallaby jumper.

If they don't want to buy into that ethos and mentality then good riddance I say
    Joe Roff did it (France) and nobody complained then...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Let him go.
    We have better.
    unfortunately we don't, Palu when fit is the best number 8 in Australia, Radike is 37 this year and likely to chase a retirement package offshore. Ben McCalman is a quality number 8 but we need depth below that as well... Fotu Auelua is next in line, but he is not at test level just yet.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    At least if he goes on good terms he will be more likely to come back. Palu is very good but he suffers injuries a bit too frequently for my liking.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    At least if he goes on good terms he will be more likely to come back. Palu is very good but he suffers injuries a bit too frequently for my liking.
    plus goes missing all too often in the big games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    unfortunately we don't, Palu when fit is the best number 8 in Australia, Radike is 37 this year and likely to chase a retirement package offshore. Ben McCalman is a quality number 8 but we need depth below that as well... Fotu Auelua is next in line, but he is not at test level just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    plus goes missing all too often in the big games
    Finally somebody said it. Palu has no heart, he is completely dominant and destructive when the game is easy, but guys like Browny (not anybody's preferred option at 8) are better than him when the going gets tough.

C'mon the

vCash
    TOCC please read GIGS coments. Enough said!

May the FORCE be with you!

Veteran
    vCash
    i always found that he would lose the ball in contact. what is the point of a big unit who excels at crash ball, if he cannot hold onto the pill? i wouldn't bee too disappointed to see him go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Finally somebody said it. Palu has no heart, he is completely dominant and destructive when the game is easy, but guys like Browny (not anybody's preferred option at 8) are better than him when the going gets tough.
    That unfortunately is a reflection of the depth we have at number 8 in Australia, Palu plays brilliant some games but goes missing in others, McCalman hit a purple path and then drifted off, Browny quite frankly isn't up to test standard, Radike is 37 and retirement is begging..

Australia struggles at number 8 and Palu is the best we have, even if you disagree that he is the best there is no disputing that he is at least in the top 3 and losing him will damage Australia's depth In the position.

Last edited by TOCC; 14-02-13 at 16:26.

vCash
    That unfortunately is a reflection of the depth we have at number 8 in Australia, Palu plays brilliant some games but goes missing in others, McCalman hit a purple path and then drifted off, Browny quite frankly isn't up to test standard, Radike is 37 and retirement is begging..

Australia struggles at number 8 and Palu is the best we have, even if you disagree that he is the bet there is not disputing that he is at least in the top 3 and losing him will damage Australia's depth In the position.

Agree. Overall though I think Palu is baggage.

And for the record so is TPN.

I blame the Tahs
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

Australia struggles at number 8 and Palu is the best we have, even if you disagree that he is the bet there is not disputing that he is at least in the top 3 and losing him will damage Australia's depth In the position.
    I think, because of the inconsistency, he's not work crying over. I'd much rather have a consistent player of lesser overall quality, especially since he's dodgy in the big games.

We will never agree on this. I'm adding my vote to Jono, let's move on.

C'mon the