Thread: Ripia determined to be a force again

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ripia determined to be a force again

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    December 7, 2011, 8:58 am

Western Force fly-half Willie Ripia is heading into the new Super season with a huge weight of expectation on his shoulders - not only from fans and coaching staff, but himself.

After an injury-hit 2011, he is hoping to rediscover the form that earned him New Zealand and Maori representative honours.

He will also be under pressure from teammate James Stannard, with coach Richard Graham indicating yesterday that he will be looking to use the former Australian Sevens player of the year, in the playmaker role.

Stannard, who began his club career at fly-half but was converted to scrum-half when he joined the Force, was a revelation when he stepped in at No.10 for the injured Ripia at the end of last season.

"I'll see how pre-season goes and also the trials, but at this stage I'm leaning towards playing him (Stannard) at 10," Graham said.

When Ripia moved from the Hurricanes last season, he was seen as the solution to the Force's fly-half problem.

Instead it turned into a year of frustration with a mystery foot injury and then a calf muscle problem limiting him to six starts and one appearance from the bench.

Even in those games, he was never fully fit but has gone through a tough four-month strength and conditioning program.

"Last year was very disappointing, very frustrating," Ripia said. "I'm going into this year with huge expectations.

"Expectation weighs heavily on any person that makes the team, there are demands from all sides.

"Some players put demands on themselves more than anything else. I'm one of them. I demand a high performance of myself and I was frustrated because I was not playing well."

Ripia will be expected to attack the opposition line more this season. Last year, with his confidence down because of injury, he often stood deep and played a bigger passing and kicking game.

"I've got to step up in taking the ball to the line," he said. "Being a threat amongst the line will be a focus of mine, to have a dart once or twice, get beaten up a bit."

Graham, who shouldered some of the blame for Ripia's form by throwing him into games before he was fully recovered, is confident a new Ripia will be on show.

"With a good pre-season under his belt he'll provide. He's a player we will be looking to build something around. There is an expectation on him to perform," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...a-force-again/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I like these bits:

He will also be under pressure from teammate James Stannard, with coach Richard Graham indicating yesterday that he will be looking to use the former Australian Sevens player of the year, in the playmaker role.

"I'll see how pre-season goes and also the trials, but at this stage I'm leaning towards playing him (Stannard) at 10," Graham said.

Stannard was exciting to watch in his starts last year. Better to lose in an exciting game than to win or lose in a boring kick-a-thon. Plus it means more game time likely for Justin Turner if Stannard isn't being considered a 9. I reckon Ripia will be better if he stays mostly injury free this year. I liked the impact that Ripia had in our final game against the Rebels.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    [QUOTE=James;300138]I like these bits:

I like those bits too James.

A collegue of mine here at work, told me that me that Stannard wasn't one of Graham's "favourites" hence his reluctance to play him until there weren't really any options. I was worried that he'd put Ripia straight back into 10 now that he's fit, but glad that probably wont happen. I thought we looked really good with Stannard at 10 last year.

vCash
    Nothing like a bit of pressure to ensure performance.

I think this year year will be better for Willie, he has had longer to settle, is hopefully injury free, and strangely without JOC being catered for in nearly every move, he is going to have a lot more options than previously, than just get the ball to JOC.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    ignite the force backline Willie Ripia... I look forward to 2012...