Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Joondalup - Premier Grade Pretenders?

Senior Player
    vCash

Joondalup - Premier Grade Pretenders?

Rumour has it that Joondalup as a club is virtually broke, have lease arrangements for its various facilities that are financially unsustainable, have split from their head coach because couldn't afford to pay him in 2013 and are struggling for some direction.

On the field results from 2012 would suggest Joondalup are 100 miles from being able to put together a Premier Grade side and all the supporting infrastructure for a serious campaign, eg a competitive Reserve Grade team, heaps of coaches, physios etc.

Apparently their sponsorship base would not support a Premier Grade campaign in any case.

Joondalup have apparently been offered a berth in Premier Grade in 2014.

In the words of one of my sporting heroes, John McEnroe "You cannot be serious!".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I'm hearing very much the same.
    I'm not sure they were actually offered a 2014 spot only that they were told they had to prove they had the ability on and off field to sustain a Premier Grade spot.
    Doesn't look too good if all we're hearing is correct.
    And paying a lower grade coach (some say as much as $10,000). As Macca said: "You cannot be serious"

Senior Player
    vCash
    Maelkaan obviously knows something different.

C'mon Maelkaan, dispell the rumours.

PS I believe the figure was $25K! Running before they can walk it would seem.

vCash
    My snouts tell me local politicians at Joondalup will get them out of any trouble they may get into.

Champion
    vCash
    Local politicians with good contacts to player mangers? Ha ha
    Didn't they have pollies on board at the start. They were probably just trying to get votes then realised that they needed players with citizenships to vote. Hee Hee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Rumour has it that Joondalup as a club is virtually broke"You cannot be serious!".
    You would have to be pissed if you were Mandurah - Prelim Finalists in u18s 2nd on the log, 3rd Grade Black Minor Champs and Final Winners, 4th Grade Black Minor Champs and Final Runners Up. Amongst some of the other b/s perpetuated - they do not own the Arena club, it is shared, and on two occassions Joondalup Giants Rugby shoved them out, and Joondalup played (in 18's on a pitch that was marked up for soccer, (and only up to half way). at their old Iluka field.

They need to get a grip, and get a broom through the. There's rumblings about changes as usual, I hope it's not more of the same. Successive weak Presidents, Chairman/Ambassador whatever the incumbent has chosen to call himself. Let's see who really supports the club up there - if they need some tips call Mandurah, they'll tell them there's a hell of lot of work to do. Get someone who can lead and manage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    And paying a lower grade coach (some say as much as $10,000). As Macca said: "You cannot be serious"

The coach in 09 (I think) was paid around 350 a week for the season, whilst he also had full time job. His focus was the 3rd grade team - he blew-in part way through the season, and managed to take them to the final in the first year, and lost. The next year the team managed the the prelim final only, Being unaccustomed to losing the third grade, he decided to take extended leave from the club.

Joondalup were granted $10000 from the local Council in order to source a coach.
    as a guess $350 x 24 (months)2 seasons gone - approximately $16000 down.

The next coach was the Chairman's/CEOs son, he got the team back to the top, and win the GF - if he got paid or not - don't know, but, he got the result.

The next season God knows what was paid to the coach, taking over a winning team, I'm pretty sure the first season was good, but he managed to alienate just about everyone, leading to the toxic situation that exists today.

Seeing that the club regularly megaspruikes the fact that they have the biggest juniors registration around, it's clear that grandad is wasting the kids inheritance - no wonder juniors flee the club.

Champion
    vCash
    What's the alternative for a kid that want's to play 1st grade then

Champion
    vCash
    Joondalup were granted $10000 from the local Council in order to source a coach.

If that was the case I wonder how the good citizens of Joondalup feel about their money being wasted on a club to source a coach. I've certainly not heard of anything like that before. Help in building new facilities and that sort of thing but paying a coach - and not even a Premier Grade coach at that - I wonder if the ratepayers even knew.

Champion
    vCash
    Heard also that KPI's to be met included bringing in 40 new players that weren't previously registered in Perh, proof of employment and accommodation for those players also to have two playing fields.I do believe that for rugby to grow Joondalup needs to be admitted into Prems however these things that need to be adressed would be near impossible in the current climate

Champion
    vCash
    Its going to be long arguement. Where are players going to come from to maintain a new Premier Grade club when some sides strugle already? The standard of Premier Grade rugby, I believe, has fallen away this season and we can't afford to stretch the resources any further. If Shute Shield and Queensland Cup can only maintain 10 sides - and some of them are not in best shape either - how can WA realistically expect to have more.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe like schools. Cull the inner clubs in favor of the expanding outer suburbs.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Its going to be long arguement. Where are players going to come from to maintain a new Premier Grade club when some sides strugle already? The standard of Premier Grade rugby, I believe, has fallen away this season and we can't afford to stretch the resources any further. If Shute Shield and Queensland Cup can only maintain 10 sides - and some of them are not in best shape either - how can WA realistically expect to have more.
    Shute shield has 12 teams.

Agree more teams will drop the standard. We will then get something similiar than what happened this year, 5 good teams and 5 weaker teams.

Another option is expand it to 12 teams. At the halfway point split them top 6 and bottom 6 and let them play each other twice.

vCash
    Sad to hear that Joondalup has trouble however Mandurah or Southern Lions have a much stronger case to become premiers than Joondalup - if judged by on field performance and also smooth running of their clubs

Champion
    vCash
    My apologies. Shute Shield 12 teams.
    RugbyWA should have the guts to make some hard decisions in the next few years but they won't because the power base will still be with the Western Suburbs clubs.
    Admitting Joondalup will weaken Wanneroo. Bringing in Mandurah or Southern Suburbs will do the same in those recruitment areas.
    There may have to be either status quo with a real 2nd division comp or forced amalgamations. Yeah right!
    Even with Wests Subi moving further north the inner city areas will still be clogged.
    By the way what are you called now. Doubleview is hardly Wests or Subi. Looks like the old cheque book brigade will be working double time to keep any names they want.

a

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast