Thread: Honest Brown's Force appraisal

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Honest Brown's Force appraisal

Honest Brown's Force appraisal

By RugbyWA Media

Richard Brown

He’s no nonsense on the field and doesn’t talk nonsense off it.

By his own admission he doesn’t suffer fools and generally Emirates Western Force back-rower Richard Brown says what he means and means what he says.

Therefore any question asked of Brown will invariably receive an honest – often very honest – response.

While he remains one of the three players – along with Club Captain Matt Hodgson and front-rower Pek Cowan – to remain at the club since its inception, he’s very positive towards the changes that have swept the Emirates Western Force over the past four months.

“The changes have been very refreshing,” he said. “They’ve been a long time coming and I think the club needed to make the changes that it has. To the Board’s credit, they didn’t hold back with them whereas they may have in the past; they acted with conviction and I think the club is in a much better position now than it ever has been.”

The decisions off the field have Brown optimistic about what can be achieved on it.

Armed with a new coaching staff, new-look backline and overhauled rugby program, the 23-time Wallaby is confident of an improved showing from his side in 2013.

“We’re a country mile ahead of where we were this time last year, as far as being prepared to play rugby goes,” he said. “If we had to play tomorrow, we could run out a team that would play well, compared to some of our performances last year.”

And the change hasn’t been limited to the team.

While still managing 13 matches for his province in 2012, the hard-nosed forward wrestled with the hangover from off-season surgery throughout the year.

However, Brown says he’s virtually overcome the lingering effects from the double shoulder reconstruction he received following the 2011 season.

“I was playing games where I couldn’t do 10 push-ups, I was that weak. Combined with lack of pre-season and no games under my belt, I came into the season with a lack of match fitness. It was without doubt my poorest season to date.

“As far as strength and fitness goes, I’m almost back to where I was pre-surgery and that’s due to a combination of the good work that [Head of Athletic Performance] Dave Joyce has been doing and also the way we’ve been preparing. Everything is very game specific and the program has not only been very refreshing but it’s been very practical too.”

Having now played in 75 matches of the Emirates Western Force’s 97 matches over the past seven seasons, Brown is looking forward to lacing up the boots again as one of the club’s original representatives.

“’Survivor’ is one term you could use as there’s been a lot of testing periods between the beginning and now – but I’d do it all over again,” he said. “Being here from the start with this group, that is quite young and fresh, I don’t feel any older… maybe a little wiser.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Go hard Brown Dog - I'd love to see you back in the gold jersey come the end of the season

vCash
    A forthcoming legend in the making... !! Still trying to work out what your tattoo says...

vCash
    second article specifically mentioning the contribution of David Joyce and the new athletic program benefiting recuperation and conditioning.

Lets hope Brownie can play at full capability this year and show everyone why he was selected for the Wobblies, it must be so frustrating having to play on only 3 cylinders especially as a loose forward

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Senior Player
    vCash
    I for one am extremely excited for the new season we have with out doubt the best forward pack in the Australian Conference and with the addition of Steve Meehan who did fantastic work at Bath and
    Wessells we should be close to having one of the best back lines in the Australian conference.

So if you have the best forward line and best back line in the country to me that means that the EWF will be Super Rugby champions in 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    I for one am extremely excited for the new season we have with out doubt the best forward pack in the Australian Conference and with the addition of Steve Meehan who did fantastic work at Bath and
    Wessells we should be close to having one of the best back lines in the Australian conference.

So if you have the best forward line and best back line in the country to me that means that the EWF will be Super Rugby champions in 2013
    Love Positive thinking here...Great to see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    second article specifically mentioning the contribution of David Joyce and the new athletic program benefiting recuperation and conditioning.
    You know these releases are being put out by the media unit with whatever spin they want to spin and with whatever "quotes" they want to put in, right?

After watching episode 5 of Coaches Corner in which a rather smug Joyce tries to convince me he is the Messiah who is going to turn the Force around by what he has been putting in place - including the highly technically advanced use of slushies - I am sceptical about these player "quotes".

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    You know these releases are being put out by the media unit with whatever spin they want to spin and with whatever "quotes" they want to put in, right?..
    Jeebus! Its true!! Each article says "By RugbyWA Media" goddammit. Sneaky bustaards!

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Looking forward to Brownie able to show the mongrel he has..

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Senior Player
    vCash
    Couldn't agree more, he's an absolute mongrel.

All Cottesloe players are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    A forthcoming legend in the making... !! Still trying to work out what your tattoo says...
    tattoo says "welcome to Jaimaica mam, have a nice day"

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Couldn't agree more, he's an absolute mongrel.

All Cottesloe players are.
    give yourself a trillion uppercuts

Controversy corner

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I thought Paly had trouble with Cott, not Rocky?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Cott are the new Soaks.

Everyone hates em.