Thread: Hooker Hilterbrand forges new path

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hooker Hilterbrand forges new path

Hooker Hilterbrand forges new path

By RugbyWA Media

James Hilterbrand

While Adelaide isn’t generally regarded as one of the most fruitful rugby nurseries, Emirates Western Force hooker James Hilterbrand is ready to put South Australia on the map in 2013.

The 23-year-old began his rugby journey in Under 6’s and represented his state in Under 16s, state schoolboys and Under 21 level and was also a part of the Australian Under 18s before moving to Sydney to continue his rugby in the Shute Shield competition.

Hilterbrand was dedicated to his rugby development and was rewarded in 2012 when he made regular appearances as the starting hooker for Manly before being invited to join the Emirates Western Force’s extended playing squad.

The powerful hooker still attributes much of his drive to make a career in rugby to his junior days in Adelaide.

“I was fortunate enough to be coached by one of only three Level 3 coaches in South Australia and a very good player who was a hooker as well so without those two guys I definitely wouldn’t have the coaching and I wouldn’t have even had the thought to give it a go,” Hilterbrand said.

“When I played Under 18s there were four teams in the Adelaide competition and two were from the same club so the numbers were pretty poor.

“I just wanted to challenge myself so I figured it would be hard to make a career out of rugby in my position so I moved to Sydney and that’s what I’ve tried to do.”

The move to Perth has been the realisation of a dream for Hilterbrand. He’s settled into the lifestyle and team environment quickly and is already reaping the benefits of working under the world-class coaching and high performance staff.

“The coaching staff are excellent, from what I can gather from the boys, this year has been significantly different to last year’s preparation and everyone is excited for a great season ahead,” he said.

“The amount of feedback from the coaching staff is unreal and they are all really dedicated to relaunching the side.

“It is especially great having Nick Stiles and Michael Foley, who are both front rowers because they have so much knowledge and they communicate so well.

“In terms of my development and it’s hard to know until you play a game, but I’ve been exceeding the personal markers we’ve developed here and what I’ve been trying to reach in the last two years, I’ve done in nine weeks.

“That’s thanks to [Head Strength and Conditioning Coach] Charlie Higgins and [Head of Athletic Performance] David Joyce because of all their attention to detail and their knowledge has helped me. I’ve learnt a lot from them.”

Hilterbrand has also spent a lot of time with Forwards Coach Nick Stiles making adjustments to his lineout throw.

“That was one aspect of my game that technically wasn’t perfect; I wasn’t aware of that and I’ve been working hard with Stilesy to rework and change it,” he said. “It’s about breaking habits and learning new ones and I’ve seen a great improvement on field.”

While Hilterbrand will have some competition in teammates Nathan Charles and Ben Whittaker, he is willing to put in the hard yards to give himself the best opportunity to earn his first Super Rugby cap.

Hilterbrand said Charles and Whittaker had been extremely supportive on the field since his arrival.

“They are good guys, and I think they have a similar playing style to me which makes them so accommodating and ready to help me with my game and give me good feedback.”

“These guys have been in the situation before and know what kind of feedback is beneficial so that helps.

“I’ve never gotten a starting spot straight away but it’s always worked out that over time I’ve earned that right, so for me I’m ready to persevere and hopefully the time and effort will get me to where I want to.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Fantastic article and some very encouraging comments coming out of the camp in terms of players performance against KPI's

It make me wonder how Mick Foley on the face of it can get it so right over in the west when last season it went so wrong for the Waratahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    ..It make me wonder how Mick Foley on the face of it can get it so right over in the west when last season it went so wrong for the Waratahs.
    Thats the single most baffling issue Peter. Best guess seems to be he was shackled at the Tahs by the hooray harrys at Corporate HQ, and Force gave him open slather, total support and every available resource to build a rugby program for sustainable success

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Senior Player
    vCash
    So when the force as super 15 champions next season shall we all chip in for a thank you give to those in NSW?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Fantastic article and some very encouraging comments coming out of the camp in terms of players performance against KPI's

It make me wonder how Mick Foley on the face of it can get it so right over in the west when last season it went so wrong for the Waratahs.
    Its the same reason why the Blues, with arguably one of the best line-ups in the competition underperform year in and year out- rat shit culture. Plus last year a bit of bad luck with injuries in both the Tahs and Blues cases. Michael Foley sounds like he has the Force management behind him and he sounds like he is better able to dictate terms than he was at the Tahs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    James sorry if you are leaving but at least you got a great try against Brumbies (wrongly disallowed! )
    All the best

Veteran
    vCash
    the articla makes no mention of him leaving, though perhaps back into the EPS??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    the articla makes no mention of him leaving, though perhaps back into the EPS??
    the artical was from when he first signed last year.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    The ARTICLE was a very fine read... and the try should have been allowed after the Touch Judge telling the ref he was happy with the grounding!!!